What helped you deprogram from religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 01:12 PM
RE: What helped you deprogram from religion?
(01-06-2017 07:13 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 06:59 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Wow, that first paragraph could have been written by me. I was raised RC.

> Did you have the misfortune of being "educated" by nuns and priests?

Yep. Still have the scars on my hands from the rulers. Funny story; My dad brought us these rulers from work that were plexiglas half-cylinders that magnified the print. Pretty cool. The nuns thought so also. The confiscated them, as the rounded side hurt knuckles more than a flat wooden ruler. Classmates hated me.
I was also an altar boy before Vatican II, and I can still remember a lot of the Latin Mass. Loved it. I'll still go to Midnight Mass at Christmas sometimes for the Latin and music. At one church, the seats by the altar that we sat on between holding platens, etc were sheets of metal bent into an upside-down "u". We'd take the collection baskets and put them under them. When I sat down after the offering, I would billow out my cassock so it covered all sides of the seat. Then I'd work my arm into my cassock, reach down, and stuff bills in my sock (while the mass was going on). I was proud of my ingenuity.
No problem with any priests, although looking back, I can see that one was gay, but I was never approached.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: What helped you deprogram from religion?
(31-05-2017 07:30 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  In all seriousness, realizing the Judeo-Christian God as described is an asshole. For some reason an invisible asshole sounded more improbable than an invisible sky dad.

And it was all downhill from there.

Patton Oswalt has the best riff on the invisible asshole I've ever heard.

(Relevant part starts at 2:27 mark.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post