What hobbies do you like to do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 09:00 AM
RE: What hobbies do you like to do?
(30-07-2016 03:03 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

If anyone is interested, these are pics of my helmet and bike after the big smash. Sadcryface

[img]http://[Image: IMGP0611_zps4ba3e921.jpg][/img]

[img]http://[Image: IMGP0593_zps92227440.jpg][/img]

D.

Ouch!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2016, 09:28 AM
(26-07-2016 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  Growing veggies, fruit and flowers, training dogs, watching animals in nature, reading, listening to music, watching things that make me laugh, cooking, fooling around on TTA, playing a landscaping game... beings that I am retired, most anything I do is a hobby. I do it because I enjoy it. Big Grin

Aha, there are other gardening atheists. I'm more into the flowers and fabulous foliage than I am plants as food. I figure there are plenty of great green grocers in my town and cultivating the soil for crops is so labor intensive. Yuck. So you have me intrigued by this "landscaping game". I don't know of any. How do you play?

I too am retired, going into my second year of it now. Easiest thing I ever did and loving it. I get to read whatever I want and when I like. I've always read much more nonfiction than fiction. But I'm into novels now including my third of the summer by Elizabeth Strout. Her newest, "I Am Lucy Barton", made me want more. Can't wait for the next G. Martin installment of the Ice and Fire series!

One more point of overlap: dogs. I have two, both herding breeds. We inherited an aussi (Australian Shepherd) about 12 years ago. Loved that dog but he'd been brought up by octogenarians (my wife's aunt and uncle) who only got the dog at our insistence that we would take him if he lived longer than they did. They got him as a young puppy and we got him about 3 and a half years later. That dog was convinced that a command was an invitation for oppositional play. That changed but his self-possession never did. His outstanding feature was his social graces with people of all ages. He instinctively knew which kids to approach side on, so as not to frighten them, and which he could meet face to face. He was also an escape artist who made me address boundary issues I never knew existed. He was neutered but he loved visiting the neighbors. I'd always get a call eventually telling me they were sitting on the front porch petting Fletcher and then I'd go pick him up.

After Fletcher, it had to be herding dogs for me. But I didn't want to do all the grooming Fletcher had required so my next dog was an aussie/heeler cross, Heidi Rose, who I adopted from a shelter near Mariposa, California about six years ago. When Fletcher passed at 14+ years I eventually got another, this time a ten week old puppy from a breeder, a purpose bred aussie/heeler cross who I named Smokey.

Pictures:

Fletcher. [Image: 9530228287_d65a03e7d1_z.jpg]

Heidi.
[Image: 6577174693_95259327f8_z.jpg]

Smoke.
[Image: 27019396374_7576399b43_z.jpg]

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 5 users Like whateverist's post
01-08-2016, 12:15 AM
I don't really have any.

Life is pretty boring.
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post
01-08-2016, 12:24 AM
(01-08-2016 12:15 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I don't really have any.

Life is pretty boring.

Totally with you on that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze