What if....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 09:15 AM
What if....
This is a "what if" situation, and I am not interested in whether it's possible, but in what the consequences would be.
What if, overnight, all electronics in the world malfunctioned and could not be fixed.
Could we even survive, given how many people there are in the world, and just how dependent are we on electronics as a species?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 09:53 AM
RE: What if....
Could the species survive? Yes. Could it survive with the population at its current level? No. We rely heavily on electronics for farming (tillers, planters, harvesters). We rely on electronics for medicine, transport, communication.

It would be hard, but a core group of people could, and would survive, and eventually rebuild.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2013, 09:58 AM
(21-02-2013 09:53 AM)Near Wrote:  Could the species survive? Yes. Could it survive with the population at its current level? No. We rely heavily on electronics for farming (tillers, planters, harvesters). We rely on electronics for medicine, transport, communication.

It would be hard, but a core group of people could, and would survive, and eventually rebuild.
As long as the population crash were capable of being contained and the surviving group was still large enough so as to have a viable gene pool to repopulate from. And those survivors were all capable of coalescing into a single group (as most survivors would likely be intermittent groups scattered across countries) or a collection of large enough groups.

A lot of people dying too quickly as a result of lack of medicine and food, could mean too many people to bury. This would mean disease would spread more quickly. Which means the highly populated areas would be hit hardest not once, but twice. Making these areas dangerous to scavenge in.

The human species might genuinely be pushed to the brink of extinction without it, but there are tribes and groups already isolated without technology who would never notice so, some would certainly make it.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
21-02-2013, 10:12 AM
(21-02-2013 09:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  This is a "what if" situation, and I am not interested in whether it's possible, but in what the consequences would be.
What if, overnight, all electronics in the world malfunctioned and could not be fixed.
Could we even survive, given how many people there are in the world, and just how dependent are we on electronics as a species?

So, stating the obvious is out of the question... Consider Hmm... we'd have to retool the infrastructure... pack animals would come back into use real quick. Candle and oil lamp makers would crawl out of their niche market as would most of the Amish and Mennonite. We would be canning our own food ... everything would go into a more local production. Mmm... I want a fireplace or wood stove in every room of my house... that would be the saving grace of that entire situation as far as I'm concerned. Wink

I love music and since I wouldn't be able to just touch a button, I'd go more often to a music venue for a live performance... also, I'd play my guitar and piano more for personal time... and the quiet might be kind of nice. I'd get a lot more painting done. I'd miss my computer - I've become quicker at typing than writing with a pen... used to be the other way around.

Of course, I'd have to break out the pigeon in order to respond to this... pigeons being the first internet. Honestly though, if I can have my coffee... I'm pretty ok with whatever kind of out of control shit might be thrown at me. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-02-2013, 10:23 AM
We are too many to fail - disease could wipe out 90% of the population and still leave us with close to a billion. We've got stuff written down - vast storehouses of info on how to do stuff. We'd rebuild. Just knowing that it's possible to control our environment and that it's possible to do major engineering through teamwork is already a huge step forward, having the scientific method we will once again conquer...

Major problem would be if we'd depleted our environment too much for it to recover quickly - e.g. only species not going extinct right now are those which can adapt to humans or are useful to us. If suddenly the world goes from being a managed ecosystem back to wild, will be unbalanced for a while. Just a thought, I have no real knowledge of ecosystems, just seems logical to me ? Anyone who knows better comment ?
21-02-2013, 11:06 AM
There is a guy called Major Ed Dames who was apparently head of Psychic viewing for the US government in a now non classified project.

Apparently him and his team looked into the future and they saw the sun emitting mass solar flares that devastate life on earth. When asked when this would happen he said he didnt know the time frame however he said saw pre-cursor events leading up to it.

Allegedly he said many years ago that Japan would suffer a massive earthquake which would in turn damage a nuclear reactor. He also said at a time when North Korea had no nuclear capabilities that they would detonate a nuclear bomb on the north/south Korean border in anger and when that happens then the only other event would be a ship being forced down out of space before the "killshot" comes.

Before anybody asks If I believe this shit... then I would say im open minded to it in a indifferent sort of way. If North Korea detonate a nuclear missle on their borders then I will be looking more into this, until then its just entertainment.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
21-02-2013, 11:13 AM
(21-02-2013 11:06 AM)bemore Wrote:  There is a guy called Major Ed Dames who was apparently head of Psychic viewing for the US government in a now non classified project.

Oh yea, I remember that. I think the thing with the goats was unproductive... but... that's the Army for you; kill, kill, kill. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-02-2013, 11:36 AM
What if....
If te electronic devices fail, say per a massive solar flare, I'm more concerned about all the nuclear reactors that depend in electronic systems for cooling down. That could be the feared nuclear holocaust.

I Heart Qualia Soup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2013, 11:41 AM
(21-02-2013 11:36 AM)Weeeeee_Zard Wrote:  If te electronic devices fail, say per a massive solar flare, I'm more concerned about all the nuclear reactors that depend in electronic systems for cooling down. That could be the feared nuclear holocaust.

Mmmyes, clean up on those would be suicide waiting to happen. Consider

Well, we've surly fucked ourselves now. Coffee anyone? Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-02-2013, 11:52 AM
(21-02-2013 11:41 AM)kim Wrote:  Coffee anyone? Drinking Beverage
The electrics out Confused

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post