What if God is a provable phenomenon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 08:55 PM
RE: What if God is a provable phenomenon?
(28-01-2014 08:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  At least one of you needs to grow the fuck up and stop this nonsense.

Both would be best.

(sometimes I can be wildly optimistic...)

That just leads to disappointment, heartbreak, heavy drinking, and living under a bridge. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2014, 09:01 PM
(28-01-2014 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 08:03 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  No you grow up and stop being a childish cunt. I said it last and no returnsies you retard.

At least one of you needs to grow the fuck up and stop this nonsense.

Some mod will be along any time to send him back to his pit.

Drinking Beverage

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
28-01-2014, 09:28 PM
(28-01-2014 09:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  At least one of you needs to grow the fuck up and stop this nonsense.

Some mod will be along any time to send him back to his pit.

Drinking Beverage

It's not just him. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-01-2014, 11:10 PM
If he is provable then he is provable. That was easy. But if he has no influence on the world I don't care.
29-01-2014, 12:15 AM
(28-01-2014 07:12 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Does anyone here understand that when a Christian tries to prove God it really means that they have no faith?

No, that idea has no merit. Fideism has never been a major theological position in Christianity.

Not the Eastern Orthodox Church, not the Roman Catholic Church and not any mainline Protestant denomination is fideist. Fideism has always been a minority position in Christianity. There are small pockets of fideism within the Reformed and Evangelical traditions--amongst others--but these are exceptional.

There is a strong case for Christian apologetics in the apologetic speeches of Paul and for natural theology in both the OT and NT.

The exact relationship between faith and reason varies from denomination to denomination but there is none that holds that apologetics is indicative of an absence of faith. Paul's example was to "become all things to all men" and that is widely interpreted as mandating apologetic arguments.
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
29-01-2014, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2014 03:58 AM by Kestrel.)
(28-01-2014 07:12 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Does anyone here understand that when a Christian tries to prove God it really means that they have no faith?

Yes. I do.

Welcome to the board. Smile

*Edit: In light of chippy's response above, I will better define this post by making clear that it is my position that a fellow believer lacks understanding, or more acceptance, that God is not provable. Rather than they lack faith.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
02-02-2014, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 02:59 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Today I'm looking for answers.
I wanna know how and why the NFL could *possibly* "schedule" the Stupidbowl on the same day and time, they KNEW Downton Abbey was on ?

(If i get the award for the "gayest" question of 2014 .... well, too fucking bad).
Tongue Weeping

(Just kidding )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-02-2014, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2014 12:49 PM by max_payne.)
(16-01-2014 09:13 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  I was listening to the end of Seth's audiobook "Deconverted" today and had an interesting thought. I had an enjoyable, mentally stimulating discussion with the users of this forum yesterday, so I thought that I'd throw it out there and see the atheist perspective on it.

When I was listening to Seth, he frequently uses mocking terms to refer to God such as "a magic man in the sky" or a "space wizard" and then contrasts it with the age of reason and enlightenment in which we live today with our many technological achievements. It occurred to me that many of our current accepted scientific theories would have been fluffed off in a similar manner many years ago.

Imagine a scientist in the middle ages trying to convince his brethren that all matter is made up of atomic particles, or describing the idea of radiowaves. The ideas at the time would be unprovable based on current science, and the scientific community likely would have fluffed the scientist off as believing in "magic". There are many levels of scientific discovery that would be necessary to prove either theory, but we know now that both theories are be sound.

So, that brings me to my question:

What if God is a provable phenomenon, but science just hasn't developed to the point that it can prove it?

First of all, I must use a disclaimer, for the purpose of this discussion I use God in the broadest sense ie. the ever-existent creator of the universe, not a particular God of any religion and not necessarily a God who gives a crap what goes on with humankind

So, why is the concept of the existence of a God rejected outright by atheists instead of treated in the same manner as atomic theory or radiowaves should have been treated by scientists if it were thought of in the middle ages: as a theory which explains and fits the current evidence, but which science does not have the current capability to prove or disprove? Considering the amazing advancements that science has made in the last 50 years or so, who's to say the capabilities that science will have in 100 years or 1000 years...who is to say that the ability to prove the existence of God isn't just a matter of time?

That's a very good point you brought up there my friend, but to be honest with you I think it's important that we don't get ahead of ourselves here. Science may or may not be able to once and for all prove whether or not God exists at a future time, but right now science proves that God doesn't exist. So I think we should just leave it at that. To further build on your point for me personally I don't have a problem with God existing, but what made me become an atheist was the whole religious aspect to it. Why does god have to be a muslim or christian? Why does everyone have to put a religious title on it? This religious title bull s**t needs to be eradicated from the face of the Earth because it splits people apart. Religious philosophies claim to know the absolute truth in areas where it couldn't possibly know. And this spreads ignorance and creates a world of intellectual suppression. Whenever someone tries to think scientifically, they are always reminded that hell will be their punishment for not ignoring their intellect and thinking outside the box. How can someone truly grow under such circumstances? A lot of believers think their religion is B.S., but they still cling to it because they are afraid of punishment. And then you hear all that B.S. that god is love hahahahah. How can you profess to love someone, but whisper in the back of their ear reminding them that if they fail to comply they'll be tortured in fire forever? hahaha lol that's not love!!! Don't waist your time with this stuff man just bury it and move on.
14-02-2014, 12:58 AM
(16-01-2014 09:13 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  What if God is a provable phenomenon, but science just hasn't developed to the point that it can prove it?

Since this god thingy is not yet proven, one has to wonder why you've even bothered to conceive or define it. But in the amazing off chance that you guessed right, and it is eventually proven, then I'll be a theist. If I die and find myself kneeling before a white throne, I'll also beg for mercy. Happy?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
08-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I feel like when he says "god" I don't think he means a literal diety more so a force of the universe guiding or not guiding the cosmos ina certain way, I don't really beleive that's true but maybe god could be the universe itself, were just a small part of it. Or maybe not.