What if - newest dominant life form

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2012, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2012 10:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: What if - newest dominant life form
(19-03-2012 10:40 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Nothing - as nature lives in perfect harmony all by itself in it's homeostatic balance.

Yeah, unless you do something stupid like introducing rabbits into Australia. Wink

(19-03-2012 09:48 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 08:25 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I'd like to see a marine species to evolve intelligence like ours, so dolphins or octopuses, they innate understanding of a 3D environment would be a trait I'd like to see developed in an intelligent species Big Grin

Ever seen a wolf spider's eyes? Pretty sure their innate understanding of the 3D environment is far more sophisticated than mine. Wink

[Image: 4797623953_5b24d701fa_z.jpg]

THOSE EYES!!! THEY STARE INTO MY SOUL!!!! :O

They appear to be working properly. Wink

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Or foxes... Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
19-03-2012, 10:55 PM
(19-03-2012 10:50 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Or foxes... Dodgy

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly Big Grin

This is not my signature.
29-03-2012, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 10:25 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(19-03-2012 06:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Whatever animal it is will have to be able to communicate ideas to others, think ahead, make and manipulate tools.

Chimpanzees, ravens, dolphins each get two out of three. Still a bit of a way to go.

I am currently reading a book on primate behavior dealing specifically with conflict resolution (it's actually more interesting than it sounds). The author mentions that Chimps have the ability to think ahead. One example he gives was of a male who wandered the extent of his area looking for rocks. He weighed the rocks in his hand, discarding smaller ones for bigger ones until he found one that suited his taste. He then went to where the leader of the colony was and challenged him by banging the rock around to enhance his ferocity. This shows that he planned ahead to aid his chances in usurping the role of alpha.

I know spiders were only mentioned for their unique vision, but I wanted to point out that I think insects having a higher intelligence would hurt them in the long run. Instincts like "eat things smaller than me," "run away from things bigger than me," and "procreate vigorously" have suited them for millions and millions of years. Throwing in emotions--which is inevitable in creatures of higher intellect--would dull that survival edge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Bravo aurora, I think the same thing, no species would become dominant, because animals live in harmony, it is only humans hat are dominant and we abuse that by all means.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
30-03-2012, 06:07 AM
(19-03-2012 09:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This is not news. We've all known since at least 1968 who would rise to power should humans die off. And humans don't have to disappear for it to come true. A place where humans are inferior and Apes are superior!

Those damn dirty apes.......
30-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Personally I think that if you cut a branch off of the evolutionary tree it will eventually grow back if the same environmental factors persist. So, our closest cousins would eventually prevail. Of course it would take about a million years or so to happen. It is an interesting scenario you pose though. I've often thought of what it would be like if one of our mammalia cousins evolved larger brains and suddenly became part of our social structure. What would that be like? How would we treat them and vice-versa? I wonder if my dog will someday be able to bring me the paper and then give me his opinion on current events and tell me what the neighbors have been up to?

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
31-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I do think our other primate cousins have a good chance of evolving but going on what little I know about evolution I would have to say it's only a chance. Another species could easily gain some ground in just a few short jumps. Our primate cousins may never make another leap or they just make a leap past us. Dolphins have a pretty nice brain. Only a few leaps could get them going.

Catastrophes can be a driving force for an evolutionary leap. I haven't researched the whole whale beaching situation so I could be off on this, but wouldn't their constant beaching be a possible lead toward an evolutionary change? Have we observed the actual steps by which a creatures makes its steps out of the water?

There are many variables that allow many species to make this leap. My money is on one of our primate cousins, maybe even dolphins.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
31-03-2012, 05:26 PM
(31-03-2012 04:33 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I do think our other primate cousins have a good chance of evolving but going on what little I know about evolution I would have to say it's only a chance. Another species could easily gain some ground in just a few short jumps. Our primate cousins may never make another leap or they just make a leap past us. Dolphins have a pretty nice brain. Only a few leaps could get them going.

Catastrophes can be a driving force for an evolutionary leap. I haven't researched the whole whale beaching situation so I could be off on this, but wouldn't their constant beaching be a possible lead toward an evolutionary change? Have we observed the actual steps by which a creatures makes its steps out of the water?

There are many variables that allow many species to make this leap. My money is on one of our primate cousins, maybe even dolphins.
I doubt dolphins as they don't have nothing to manipulate objects other than their mouths, that would be a makor obstacle to developing tools, which are essential to a human-like intelligence.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
31-03-2012, 05:44 PM
(19-03-2012 01:21 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  1) Chimpanzees

YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

[Image: planet-of-the-apes.jpg?w=604]

We all knew it was coming.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]