What if - newest dominant life form

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: What if - newest dominant life form
(31-03-2012 05:26 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 04:33 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I do think our other primate cousins have a good chance of evolving but going on what little I know about evolution I would have to say it's only a chance. Another species could easily gain some ground in just a few short jumps. Our primate cousins may never make another leap or they just make a leap past us. Dolphins have a pretty nice brain. Only a few leaps could get them going.

Catastrophes can be a driving force for an evolutionary leap. I haven't researched the whole whale beaching situation so I could be off on this, but wouldn't their constant beaching be a possible lead toward an evolutionary change? Have we observed the actual steps by which a creatures makes its steps out of the water?

There are many variables that allow many species to make this leap. My money is on one of our primate cousins, maybe even dolphins.
I doubt dolphins as they don't have nothing to manipulate objects other than their mouths, that would be a makor obstacle to developing tools, which are essential to a human-like intelligence.
This is true under our current understanding and image of what intelligence requires. Doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen Smile

I remember as a teenager wondering why did we think creatures couldn't develop ways of surviving in extremely hot or extremely cold environments and now we know it's possible. I had all kinds of conversations with friends about this idea back in the 90's.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2012, 07:48 PM
(31-03-2012 06:26 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 05:26 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I doubt dolphins as they don't have nothing to manipulate objects other than their mouths, that would be a makor obstacle to developing tools, which are essential to a human-like intelligence.
This is true under our current understanding and image of what intelligence requires. Doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen Smile

I remember as a teenager wondering why did we think creatures couldn't develop ways of surviving in extremely hot or extremely cold environments and now we know it's possible. I had all kinds of conversations with friends about this idea back in the 90's.
indeed, that's why I said "human-like intelligence" I don't dare to speculate on other forms Consider

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd also add that the energy economy needed for leaps in brain development can probably only be in a surplus when food is modified or cooked. I mean, the advantages of cooking the bacteria out of food and possibly making it easier to digest surely does wonders for allowing such a surplus in energy.

Primates would still have the advantage as the animal most capable of 'stumbling' upon such behavior. Although I saw somewhere that a crow was smart enough to take a piece of dried bread to water when other birds would not be able to eat it. That might be an example of modifying a food source for easier consumption but birds and fire aren't very likely to ever mix. Same with dolphins.

I wonder how we adopted such habits? Perhaps it happened when food was stored and needed to be eaten later? Kind of like dogs burying bones or squirrels hoarding nuts maybe? I imagine as long as meat can still be put to flame and beer can still be brewed, somehow living creatures will figure it out again if given enough time.

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user