What if the Earth had no more natural Hydrogen/Helium?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2013, 12:42 AM
What if the Earth had no more natural Hydrogen/Helium?
It's my understanding that these two gases naturally rise and leak out into space. But lets say that every single "drop" was removed from Earth. What would be the effects (ignoring anything concerning human economies or manufacturing)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 02:20 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
RE: What if the Earth had no more natural Hydrogen/Helium?
(05-06-2013 12:42 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  It's my understanding that these two gases naturally rise and leak out into space. But lets say that every single "drop" was removed from Earth. What would be the effects (ignoring anything concerning human economies or manufacturing)?

No hydrogen = no water = no life as we know it.

There is no "naturally" occurring hydrogen on earth, though its often emitted as a byproduct of chemical reactions or can be obtained via electrolysis of water.

As for Helium, although rare, it's about a 5% constant in the makeup of our atmosphere and larger concentrations exist in the thermosphere and beyond.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
05-06-2013, 04:26 AM
(05-06-2013 02:14 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 12:42 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  It's my understanding that these two gases naturally rise and leak out into space. But lets say that every single "drop" was removed from Earth. What would be the effects (ignoring anything concerning human economies or manufacturing)?

No hydrogen = no water = no life as we know it.

There is no "naturally" occurring hydrogen on earth, though its often emitted as a byproduct of chemical reactions or can be obtained via electrolysis of water.

As for Helium, although rare, it's about a 5% constant in the makeup of our atmosphere and larger concentrations exist in the thermosphere and beyond.

Helium is more like 0.0005% of the atmosphere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-06-2013, 03:26 PM
no more floating balloons and funny voices???????????............. I would just have to kill myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
The natural gas in the Hugoton field of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas contains unusually high concentrations of helium, from 0.3% to 1.9%. This giant field contains the largest reserves of helium in the United States.

I gots all your helium, bitches. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Hydrogen shortages just aren't a concern. It's abundant and reactive, so although H2 molecules escape the earth atmosphere easily, most is bound to other elements in heavier molecules like water and therefore sticks around. No Hydrogen means no water and pretty much all organic compounds.

'He' is very non-reactive, and since it is light it also escapes the earth's atmosphere. The only reason we have any left at all is that it is constantly emitted in small amounts by way of alpha particle ('He' atoms, by definition) radioactive decay .

This article has some useful info on Helium uses:
http://www.technewsdaily.com/5769-8-surp...elium.html

Beyond the obvious floating balloon application, most of the important uses are for cooling where very low temperatures are required. There's no other fluid with a lower boiling point (just four degrees above absolute zero) and therefore no viable replacement for applications which require cooling to very low temperatures.

Because of the low rate of generation of new Helium from radioactivity, it is essentially a non-renewable resource. Running out of it actually is a concern.
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
No hydrogen > no methane > no farts. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche