What if the Republicans ran everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2011, 05:27 PM
RE: What if the Republicans ran everything?
Why do we have to be better than others? I just want to live my life and make it easier for others to live their lives.

You're asking us to revolt, and usually revolts fail and a bunch of people die. I've stated before that I would join a revolution to change this country, but I would not command it.

I seek to make our current system work better, because more likely than not it's staying for a while.

Whether Christians believe in something right or not I should not seek to oppress them for their views, and all that suggesting we're the smart ones does is make us targets. Historically this is obvious.

We're all doing what we can for our beliefs and goals, for many of us atheism isn't the most important thing in our lives. It's just a part of our lives that we would like to talk about. I'm slowly reading your library stuff so I don't yet have an opinion on what you've decided to employ to change the world. Currently I'd rather start writing a bible as David suggests rather than going with you. Politics is a 2 party system because most people don't see the fact that it can be more.

And realize how minor atheists are. How can we win in the polls if just by someone mentioning that we have atheist beliefs we get less than half the votes in most of the US? We may be smart but politics in this country is about popularity or money swaying popularity so if we wanted to win we'd need to have enough money to buy the republicans or democrats.

I fight for rights of minorities and I am fully aware that that means I'm not the majority. So all I can do is try to convince the majority of my stance. That is how voting works.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 06:25 PM
(14-03-2011 04:51 PM)kestonrocks@sbcglobal.net Wrote:  I'm only stating that There is a significant difference between Republicans & Democrats. Republicans trying to claim Civil Rights is laughable although I understand the histoical context that you make your claim. Who do you think defends Civil rights today?

Wasn't it at the Republican debate that most of the candidates raised thier hands to prodly claim that they didn't believe in evolution? Isn't it the Rebubliacns who pander to the religious right?

Keston - I agree with you that when the choice is between two pieces of crap, the democrat pile of crap is vastly more appealing than the fresh steaming pile of republican crap - and I say this purely based on the hypocrisy of their religious-based politics, and neo-con foreign policy and tax, borrow, and spend policies.

Democrats are, historically, a party-machine party. Yes, they did pass the Civil rights legislation in 64 - then the southern democrats all went republican and infected that party.

But here are just a couple things for consideration. In 1993-94, with democrats solidly in control of the house and the senate, a democrat president couldn't pass health care reform. In 2009-2010, it was a near repeat. The Health Care Reform that was passed for all intent and purpose is a pile of crap.

Jimmy Carter held a majority in the Senate and House all through his presidency and was obstructed at every turn by congress - you'd have thought he was a republican president. If you ever want to read an interesting take on the democrats of the 70s and 80s read Walter Karp's Indispensable Allies, it may take some of the luster of the Democrats when you're through with it.

I'll vote Democrat as a rule simply because my single issue is denying theists any more control of government than they already have - but it doesn't make me a democrat by any stretch. In a perfect world I'd prefer to be a libertarian.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I generally vote for a different party on the basis that that is not throwing my vote away, because the only vote for change right now is the vote to have a new party.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-03-2011, 08:55 PM
(14-03-2011 04:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  California - overwhelmingly Democrat. Arnold was a celebrity exception that caught the whims of the ethnic minorities, just like Obama. Arnold had no way of pursuing a Republican agenda to guide California in a Democrat controlled legislature and populous.

California barely votes democrat, and they voted FOR prop 8 (gay marriage ban) and AGAINST prop 19 (the legalization of marijuana.) The coast (except for one small county) tends to be democrat while most of the eastern border and much of the northern part of the state is very Republican.

Regardless, Arnold's policies destroyed that state. No democrat did that.
15-03-2011, 04:35 PM
[Image: voters.png]
This sums it up for me...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/03/...blems.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2011, 06:04 PM
(14-03-2011 08:55 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I generally vote for a different party on the basis that that is not throwing my vote away, because the only vote for change right now is the vote to have a new party.

I vote 3rd party a lot too. And, if there is no 3rd party candidate, I vote against the incumbent.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-03-2011, 07:13 PM
(17-03-2011 06:04 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(14-03-2011 08:55 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I generally vote for a different party on the basis that that is not throwing my vote away, because the only vote for change right now is the vote to have a new party.

I vote 3rd party a lot too. And, if there is no 3rd party candidate, I vote against the incumbent.

Third party voting is only reasonable when the stakes are low and when the difference between the major party candidates is minimal. I will remind you that the difference between Gore and Bush in Florida in 2000 was less than the amount Ralph Nader garnered. Had he not run and siphoned votes from the two parties (let's be realistic though - he only siphoned votes from Gore) the result would have been very different. (Yes, I recognize that Buchanan siphoned votes from Bush but on the butterfly ballots he got votes meant for Gore as well.)
17-03-2011, 08:17 PM
The difference between us, though, is you assume there is some noticeable difference between a Democrat in office and a Republican in office. I don't assume that at all, and don't care if my 3rd party vote costs one party or the other an election.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-03-2011, 08:56 PM
So Gore/Bush, six of one/half a dozen of the other? Really?

Not even close.
17-03-2011, 10:36 PM
I feel the voting of a different party as more important than the choice of one of the main parties. Winning just one state means actual recognition for another party which is worth a few less votes for whichever party. I hated Bush a lot, but I want changes to happen so I'm always going to go for the big change. I voted 3rd party that year rather than Gore, and Gore was cheated out of it either way.