What if the bible came out today for the first time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2014, 09:19 PM
What if the bible came out today for the first time?
I saw a thought on facebook that made my hamster wheel turn....but in a good way!
What IF the bible came out today, would we even have an issue disputing it? Even the most extremists?
I think it would be even more "nonsense" sounding than ever, don't you? I think we would use our logic for such examples like the following:
Would a bear be mind controlled in killing 42 children?
Would a dad really hold a dagger over his kid and then hear a goat and be stopped?
Would there be an angel running through a town holding his butt and then offer up some young gal in his place?
ALL NONSENSE!!! The funny thing though is I believed that nonsense too. What is it about a span of a couple thousand years that makes us 'dumb down' to the possibilities of such nonsense we would identify today in a heartbeat?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2014, 09:59 PM
RE: What if the bible came out today for the first time?
(25-11-2014 09:19 PM)canadianmom Wrote:  I saw a thought on facebook that made my hamster wheel turn....but in a good way!
What IF the bible came out today, would we even have an issue disputing it? Even the most extremists?
I think it would be even more "nonsense" sounding than ever, don't you? I think we would use our logic for such examples like the following:
Would a dad really hold a dagger over his kid and then hear a goat and be stopped?
Would there be an angel running through a town holding his butt and then offer up some young gal in his place?
ALL NONSENSE!!! The funny thing though is I believed that nonsense too. What is it about a span of a couple thousand years that makes us 'dumb down' to the possibilities of such nonsense we would identify today in a heartbeat?

Girly's Review:
Some of the Psalms and Proverbs and Song of Solomon are decent enough poetry. They got a good beat and I can dance to them. And Ezekiel, Jesus fucking tripping tripping Christ, "John's" Revelations ain't got shit on Old Zeke. And the Red Letters of the New Testament are The Word. ... So there's that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
26-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Plot is confusing. Characters are not fleshed out. <no stars>

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
26-11-2014, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2014 12:01 PM by Bear100.)
The Bible is just like the iTunes Terms and Conditions. It's important, but at the same time it's also long and boring so no-one really reads what's really inside; so many miss out on all the atrocities this "holy" book contains.

Dashing infants against rocks, threatening to plaster shit over priests' faces, commanding people to commit genocide, tale of a woman getting raped to death and chopped into 12 pieces, are just the tip of the iceberg in this "holy" book. What's annoying is there are sites like gotquestions.org and carm.org that try so hard to rationalize these verses and even more annoyingly, these sites come up every time I try to search some dubious bible verses. And what's sad is the excuses they come up with are the same typical excuses that many theists would come up with to justify these verses.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
26-11-2014, 11:59 AM
(26-11-2014 11:52 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Plot is confusing. Characters are not fleshed out. <no stars>

Poorly researched history. Narrative isn't consistent with itself. Often prone to long-list style writing. <no stars>
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
26-11-2014, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2014 05:12 AM by CleverUsername.)
"Unable to settle on a plot, stubbornly refusing to give the reader anything original, and packed with disturbing scenes, Bible is a thoroughly unpleasant read that will give you absolutely no incentive to continue. The rules of its universe are utterly confusing, its characters are too stupid to realize the easy solutions to their problems right in front of them, and what can only be assumed to be the main character is a narcissistic, genocidal maniac yet is portrayed as something to be revered.

Though its few fans will insist the work is a masterpiece, there is good reason to suspect those people have never actually read it, and there is no reason for you, or anyone else for that matter, to do so either."

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
26-11-2014, 12:38 PM
(25-11-2014 09:19 PM)canadianmom Wrote:  I saw a thought on facebook that made my hamster wheel turn....but in a good way!

I think very few would get past Genesis with it's nutty firmament, talking serpent and worldwide flood myths.

The power of baseless assertion still has sway over our primate minds, the fact that we still believe it just convinces me we have to be related to apes.
The big powerful monkey in the sky will punish you lowly mortal monkeys if you do not believe and obey.
And if you don't believe the sky monkey? Then the poop-flinging begins!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-11-2014, 12:45 PM
(26-11-2014 12:38 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think very few would get past Genesis with it's nutty firmament, talking serpent and worldwide flood myths.

The power of baseless assertion still has sway over our primate minds, the fact that we still believe it just convinces me we have to be related to apes.
The big powerful monkey in the sky will punish you lowly mortal monkeys if you do not believe and obey.
And if you don't believe the sky monkey? Then the poop-flinging begins!

See one of my tag lines Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-11-2014, 12:50 PM
God would be giving Sauron a run for his money as greatest fictional antagonist.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 2 users Like SunnyD1's post
26-11-2014, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2014 09:48 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
Yes but can you imagine the Judas/Jesus fan fics!?

I shipped those crazy kids hard when I first read it, imagine my disappointment when I found out Jesus gets nailed by some other guys.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post