What if they had gotten it right 2000 years ago?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2012, 10:34 AM
RE: What if they had gotten it right 2000 years ago?
(05-02-2012 06:32 AM)Karl Wrote:  Or would it be a little harder to rally support for these same battles when you know you only have one shot at life so try and stretch it out a bit?
That's such a great point. People live thinking; when they die they will go to a better place. Well, what if there isn't a better place; what if this is it? Shouldn't you try to get along with everyone as if this is your only shot at it?

I think many Atheists would still stumble down the same path because believing a ghost that has been around forever; created everything is still a pretty hard pill to swallow. It's too simple of an answer when comparing it to all the fantastic things science has shown us.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
(05-02-2012 06:32 AM)Karl Wrote:  I wonder what it would have been like if the first human to point at the sun and say “Big hot thing is all powerful god” was told “sod off and stop talking out of your arse” and this whole chain of crap never kicked off?

Would the battle cry of armies have been “For shits and giggles!” as they charged across fields toward their bloody end?
Or would it be a little harder to rally support for these same battles when you know you only have one shot at life so try and stretch it out a bit?

Not all wars are religious in nature. There is the other great lie - nationalism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-02-2012, 07:52 AM
(31-01-2012 10:44 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  (I guess I'll post this here, it's kinda about Creationism and this section is underutilized anyways.)

I was just thinking. What if? What if the writers of the Bible weren't complete morons and they had left out the part about the dragons and witches and talking snakes and talking donkeys and Noah's ark and such? What if the "easy to mock" parts of the Bible weren't there and we were left with all the bigotry, sexism, and racism. I mean the book is knee slappingly ridiculous and look how successful it's been at converting people. What if the Bible DIDN'T make any outrageous claims and instead just taught the immoral parts that spawn the injustices of the world?

Would there be any hope for atheists?

These people are brainwashed at child hood, and at that age you will believe anything. It doesnt particularly matter what the book says, people will read into it whatever they want. Heck I am willing to bet many have never read it at all.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post