What if we all live to be a hundred years old?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 06:56 AM
What if we all live to be a hundred years old?
I'm enrolled in Gerontology and it's such an uncomfortable class. I don't like the idea of getting old. But we are getting old as a nation. 1 in 7 citizens is over 6 and by 2030 1 in 5 citizens will be over 65. We are aging as a country and we are aging as a planet. Did you know that since 1900 the lifespan has increased by 3 months every year? Does this worry you? It does worry me.

Something funny happened in class. We were talking about how aging will burden the healthcare system when some guy said that we shouldn't be so worried. We asked him why. He said that humans used to live a lot longer, about 600 years, according to the bible. He said god will provide. A few idiots in my class nodded in approval but the rest of the class rolled up their eyes. The professor said that we have to focus on data that has been collected in a reliable manner. in 1880 the lifespan was 39 years.

Yes, these idiots walk among us and are convinces the bible is true.

[Image: search?q=lifespan+graph+us&biw=1...B500%3B330]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Elenambass's post
30-09-2014, 07:29 AM
RE: What if we all live to be a hundred years old?
Well, I have no intention of becoming 100 years old, unless my body and mind remain perfectly able to function without needing to rely on others.

The chances of that are not very good.

To me it's quality of life, not quantity. Spending the whole day trying to take a shower and getting dressed and eating crappy institutional food is not my idea of a good ending. I'll be exiting before that happens.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-09-2014, 07:35 AM
I drink and I smoke, that what if is a long shot for me.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
30-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I want to live as long as my body and mind hold out and that is it.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
30-09-2014, 09:45 AM
(30-09-2014 07:35 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I drink and I smoke, that what if is a long shot for me.

British WW1 veteran Henry Allingham drank and smoked his way to 113!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
30-09-2014, 09:54 AM
This doesn't take into account external forces. You can be the healthiest person alive, won't matter if a drunk guy runs you down with his truck. Odds are unless your really healthy but never go outside a lot of people will probably die before 100.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-09-2014, 11:22 AM
(30-09-2014 09:39 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I want to live as long as my body and mind hold out and that is it.

Although, I might replace a few parts to gets some extra miles. Wink New knees are the first on my wish list.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
30-09-2014, 11:28 AM
(30-09-2014 11:22 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 09:39 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I want to live as long as my body and mind hold out and that is it.

Although, I might replace a few parts to gets some extra miles. Wink New knees are the first on my wish list.

I am thinking more on the lines of no longer able to tend to my own basic needs. Feeding myself and whipping my own butt come to mind.

New knees are probably in my future.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
30-09-2014, 11:36 AM
[Image: L2D2_red_web__08040_zoom.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
30-09-2014, 11:42 AM
(30-09-2014 06:56 AM)Elenambass Wrote:  He said that humans used to live a lot longer, about 600 years, according to the bible. He said god will provide. A few idiots in my class nodded in approval but the rest of the class rolled up their eyes.

Facepalm

Quote:The professor said that we have to focus on data that has been collected in a reliable manner. in 1880 the lifespan was 39 years.

I would not have been nearly as calm and tactful. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post