What if we all live to be a hundred years old?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: What if we all live to be a hundred years old?
(30-09-2014 09:45 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 07:35 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I drink and I smoke, that what if is a long shot for me.

British WW1 veteran Henry Allingham drank and smoked his way to 113!

That would be an exception. Smoking is bad for you and will shorten your life. Drinking in moderation is fine though.

I wish I had not started smoking but the only way I would be able to quit is to have enough money to have someone lock me up in a room for a year with meds to control my mood swings. I tried to quit once when I was married, my wife got so angry at me she bought me a pack just so I would stop crying.

KIDS don't start.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2014, 12:17 PM
(30-09-2014 11:28 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 11:22 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Although, I might replace a few parts to gets some extra miles. Wink New knees are the first on my wish list.

I am thinking more on the lines of no longer able to tend to my own basic needs. Feeding myself and whipping my own butt come to mind.

New knees are probably in my future.

[Image: self+spank+01.jpg]

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
30-09-2014, 12:17 PM
(30-09-2014 11:52 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I wish I had not started smoking but the only way I would be able to quit is to have enough money to have someone lock me up in a room for a year with meds to control my mood swings. I tried to quit once when I was married, my wife got so angry at me she bought me a pack just so I would stop crying.

KIDS don't start.

Hmm... Consider maybe try a vape cig - those e-cigs - they provide you with the addictive nicotine but do not provide the carcinogenic tar that destroys the lungs, trachea, and mouth.

Many nicotine addicts have reported they have been able to successfully ween themselves off nicotine with these vape cigs, when they have not been able to do so previously.

If you really feel strongly about it, this kind of product seems like it might be worth a try, Brian. It might be worth a try to at least take the cancer causing tar out of your addiction. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-09-2014, 12:33 PM
(30-09-2014 12:17 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 11:28 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I am thinking more on the lines of no longer able to tend to my own basic needs. Feeding myself and whipping my own butt come to mind.

New knees are probably in my future.

[Image: self+spank+01.jpg]

The return of Losty... Big Grin

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
30-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Historical life span increases are almost entirely due to mitigated infant and child mortality. Healthy adults have always had good odds of seeing 50, 60, or 70+ birthdays.
(consider, for example, classical Roman history - a lot of old men running around)

I don't know that that's the right way to look at population statistics anyway. The population is not aging (well, or it is, but at the same uniform rate as ever...) so much as it is growing more slowly. A great deal of our society is predicated on the assumption of continuous exponential growth forever - which so far as population was concerned was true in until the 1980s (in wealthier countries - it's still true in poorer ones); anyone calling social insurance a pyramid scheme is still a deranged lunatic, make no mistake.

In any case, what we need is to understand a steady-state population (or slowly shrinking - demographic black holes like Japan or Ukraine aside).

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
30-09-2014, 01:50 PM
(30-09-2014 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Historical life span increases are almost entirely due to mitigated infant and child mortality. Healthy adults have always had good odds of seeing 50, 60, or 70+ birthdays.
(consider, for example, classical Roman history - a lot of old men running around)

I don't know that that's the right way to look at population statistics anyway. The population is not aging (well, or it is, but at the same uniform rate as ever...) so much as it is growing more slowly. A great deal of our society is predicated on the assumption of continuous exponential growth forever - which so far as population was concerned was true in until the 1980s (in wealthier countries - it's still true in poorer ones); anyone calling social insurance a pyramid scheme is still a deranged lunatic, make no mistake.

In any case, what we need is to understand a steady-state population (or slowly shrinking - demographic black holes like Japan or Ukraine aside).

I don't think that is quite accurate.

More people live longer - and we age better, as well.

Just look at pictures, better yet films, from early twentieth century; 40-year-olds look 55, 50-year-olds look 65.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-09-2014, 01:56 PM
(30-09-2014 01:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Historical life span increases are almost entirely due to mitigated infant and child mortality. Healthy adults have always had good odds of seeing 50, 60, or 70+ birthdays.

I don't think that is quite accurate.

Just look at pictures, better yet films, from early twentieth century; 40-year-olds look 55, 50-year-olds look 65.

That's true to some extent - that general health at all stages is better - but it's also true that advances in medicine have allowed people to live with diseases and conditions that would have killed them earlier; there are people who are healthier than they would previously have been, but there are also people who are alive and unhealthy rather than dead.

Anyway, reduced early mortality is by far the greater contribution to the demographic transition.

... this is my signature!
30-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Quote:We asked him why. He said that humans used to live a lot longer, about 600 years, according to the bible. He said god will provide. A few idiots in my class nodded in approval

How do these people even make it to university?
The level of stupid is going to give me an aneurysm. (which doesn't bode well for me living to 100)

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
30-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I'd like to live to 100 - I want to see what's going on - see what's changed and what's stayed the same. I have some longevity on one side of my family so, I hope that will give me an edge. I take fair care of myself and hope I make it.

If shit starts going bad, I have no problem with wrapping it up quickly. As long as it's a rational decision and I'm the one who makes that decision. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-09-2014, 02:52 PM
(30-09-2014 01:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 01:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that is quite accurate.

That's true to some extent - that general health at all stages is better - but it's also true that advances in medicine have allowed people to live with diseases and conditions that would have killed them earlier; there are people who are healthier than they would previously have been, but there are also people who are alive and unhealthy rather than dead.

Anyway, reduced early mortality is by far the greater contribution to the demographic transition.

Just antibiotics alone have saved a zillion lives. People used to die from the simplest infections.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man