What if we all live to be a hundred years old?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 03:33 PM
RE: What if we all live to be a hundred years old?
(30-09-2014 01:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Historical life span increases are almost entirely due to mitigated infant and child mortality. Healthy adults have always had good odds of seeing 50, 60, or 70+ birthdays.
(consider, for example, classical Roman history - a lot of old men running around)

I don't know that that's the right way to look at population statistics anyway. The population is not aging (well, or it is, but at the same uniform rate as ever...) so much as it is growing more slowly. A great deal of our society is predicated on the assumption of continuous exponential growth forever - which so far as population was concerned was true in until the 1980s (in wealthier countries - it's still true in poorer ones); anyone calling social insurance a pyramid scheme is still a deranged lunatic, make no mistake.

In any case, what we need is to understand a steady-state population (or slowly shrinking - demographic black holes like Japan or Ukraine aside).

I don't think that is quite accurate.

More people live longer - and we age better, as well.

Just look at pictures, better yet films, from early twentieth century; 40-year-olds look 55, 50-year-olds look 65.

Yes. I remember my mother at my age, I'm 55, and she wasn't as active as I am. She didn't take as good a care of herself as I do. She smoked, I don't. She never exercised, I exercise everyday. She ate fairly well but didn't worry much about clogging up her arteries. She looked much older than I do at the same age. She did have one thing going for her though.....she accepted aging and was comfortable with it. She just shrugged her shoulders at aging and said, oh well, it's just a natural thing. I tend to try to defy it and I think a lot of that is caused by social pressure to look and act young especially for women. But I don't want to live to be 100 unless I'm feeling really great and the chances of that are minimal. So I'll die in my late 80's or early 90's and go back to non existence, after all that's the way it was for a trillion- gazillion years.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Well I am 72 and planning to reach at least 100, despite much ill spent earlier years.
These days I eat very sensibly, pump iron,do plenty of cardio, and don't let external issues get me down. In fact with weights I am still lifting nearly as much as I did over thirty years ago.
Of course living long is only of benefit if one is feeling well, both physically and psychologically. Helping others is a good way to keep healthy and I am able to help alcoholics, a disease, along with drugs, that caused me much early misery.
Involvement in a one on one marital relationship is also far preferable to promiscuity and all the inherent complexities inherent therein. Took me a long time to learn that.
It is also helpful (and hopefully longevity promoting) to think a lot, preferably outside the box, keep one's options open, and try and have a bit of spirituality, however defined that may be. Irrespective of how others may act it is also important to try and avoid hatred as it simply engulfs the self. Not easy, but important. Buddha was very aware of that.
Laughter too is important. I used to belong to a laugh club. A bit superficial, but can be a bit of a help. More important perhaps is not to take our own ego and values too seriously, or the rigid views of others. Tolerance, compassion, and a sense of humour can help a lot.
Well I'm off to do a bit of voluntary work, keep on track, and as we say in AA (RULE 62DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY)
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
30-09-2014, 04:14 PM
(30-09-2014 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Historical life span increases are almost entirely due to mitigated infant and child mortality.

That's more prehistory than history Smile Although I agree that average age within the context of civilization has been increasing, I also believe that our pre-civilization ancestors lived much longer than most people assume and that, at least initially, the advent of agriculture and civilization probably resulted in a sharp drop in overall health and life expectancy in exchange for the ability to produce enough nutrient deficient food to feed higher numbers of people a more reliable but less healthy diet.

'Murican Canadian
30-09-2014, 04:22 PM
(30-09-2014 04:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Historical life span increases are almost entirely due to mitigated infant and child mortality.

That's more prehistory than history Smile Although I agree that average age within the context of civilization has been increasing, I also believe that our pre-civilization ancestors lived much longer than most people assume and that, at least initially, the advent of agriculture and civilization probably resulted in a sharp drop in overall health and life expectancy in exchange for the ability to produce enough nutrient deficient food to feed higher numbers of people a more reliable but less healthy diet.

Only in extremely rare cases are staple foods nutrient deficient, particularly heritage varietals.

Mortality due to "civilisation" is almost entirely down to disease - cohabitation with animals and increased population density are both huge contributing factors.

Outside that a regular food surplus is actually a huge plus for survival of the injured and dependent.

But yes, there are downward influences as well. During initial mass urbanisation (late 18th through 19th century) the life expectancy was dramatically shorter among urban poor than anywhere else in contemporary society.

... this is my signature!
30-09-2014, 04:23 PM
And to answer the question, hell I'm surprised enough to be coming up on 40. I haven't exactly been careful. I've had life insurance and have been updating my will annually since I was 18, but neither has ever come in handy. I've been cheated dammit Tongue (Maybe that should go in the first world problems thread)

I'd say I'd be okay with it as long as I'm mobile, but by then virtual reality tech will probably be pretty advanced. So if I end up a vegetable, just throw some plugs in my head and put me in a virtual Dungeons and Dragons world where I can run around swinging a battle axe while, in the worlds of Mel Gibson in Braveheart, shooting lightning out of my ass, and maybe even get it on with some hot little elves and with any luck my mind will be so gone I won't even know it's not real.

'Murican Canadian
30-09-2014, 04:24 PM
(30-09-2014 04:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 04:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  That's more prehistory than history Smile Although I agree that average age within the context of civilization has been increasing, I also believe that our pre-civilization ancestors lived much longer than most people assume and that, at least initially, the advent of agriculture and civilization probably resulted in a sharp drop in overall health and life expectancy in exchange for the ability to produce enough nutrient deficient food to feed higher numbers of people a more reliable but less healthy diet.

Only in extremely rare cases are staple foods nutrient deficient, particularly heritage varietals.

Mortality due to "civilisation" is almost entirely down to disease - cohabitation with animals and increased population density are both huge contributing factors.

Outside that a regular food surplus is actually a huge plus for survival of the injured and dependent.

Agree completely. I was being cognitively lazy in my assessment Tongue

'Murican Canadian
30-09-2014, 04:26 PM
(30-09-2014 04:04 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Well I am 72 and planning to reach at least 100, despite much ill spent earlier years.
These days I eat very sensibly, pump iron,do plenty of cardio, and don't let external issues get me down. In fact with weights I am still lifting nearly as much as I did over thirty years ago.
Of course living long is only of benefit if one is feeling well, both physically and psychologically. Helping others is a good way to keep healthy and I am able to help alcoholics, a disease, along with drugs, that caused me much early misery.
Involvement in a one on one marital relationship is also far preferable to promiscuity and all the inherent complexities inherent therein. Took me a long time to learn that.
It is also helpful (and hopefully longevity promoting) to think a lot, preferably outside the box, keep one's options open, and try and have a bit of spirituality, however defined that may be. Irrespective of how others may act it is also important to try and avoid hatred as it simply engulfs the self. Not easy, but important. Buddha was very aware of that.
Laughter too is important. I used to belong to a laugh club. A bit superficial, but can be a bit of a help. More important perhaps is not to take our own ego and values too seriously, or the rigid views of others. Tolerance, compassion, and a sense of humour can help a lot.
Well I'm off to do a bit of voluntary work, keep on track, and as we say in AA (RULE 62DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY)

That's fantastic. Just fantastic. Thumbsup Heart Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-09-2014, 07:33 PM
I still have a long way to go but I am a futurist. That's why I started saving money so that in the near future I could invest in the invention and development of cryogenic capsule that could technically make me live for hundred of years
30-09-2014, 07:46 PM
(30-09-2014 06:56 AM)Elenambass Wrote:  I'm enrolled in Gerontology and it's such an uncomfortable class. I don't like the idea of getting old. But we are getting old as a nation. 1 in 7 citizens is over 6 and by 2030 1 in 5 citizens will be over 65. We are aging as a country and we are aging as a planet. Did you know that since 1900 the lifespan has increased by 3 months every year? Does this worry you? It does worry me.

Something funny happened in class. We were talking about how aging will burden the healthcare system when some guy said that we shouldn't be so worried. We asked him why. He said that humans used to live a lot longer, about 600 years, according to the bible. He said god will provide. A few idiots in my class nodded in approval but the rest of the class rolled up their eyes. The professor said that we have to focus on data that has been collected in a reliable manner. in 1880 the lifespan was 39 years.

Yes, these idiots walk among us and are convinces the bible is true.

[Image: search?q=lifespan+graph+us&biw=1...B500%3B330]

I refuse to die until I am at a minimal age of at least 150.

I have...ehherm...*faith* that I will live to be that old or older.

Science and my own willpower will see to it that happens.

If I can live at least that long, might be a chance that science will be advanced enough to extend my consciousness indef.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
30-09-2014, 07:47 PM
I can only hope the next 43 years will be a bit better than the last 57. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF