What if we're wrong(not Dawkins related)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2011, 02:08 AM
RE: What if we're wrong(not Dawkins related)
I look at it this way: I've gone 30 years without worshiping them, why start now? Even if s/he was proven to exist beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would still not feel the need to praise them. Everything I've done, I've done on my own. And when I die, I would like to think that my years of NOT raping, stealing, and killing would be rewarded with a paradise of endless beer and fire breathing whores (thank you Billy Connolly)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F53KqJS_TkU
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
(31-05-2011 02:06 PM)That sly kid Wrote:  Is this the right forum to put this?

What if some point in the near future millions of people are raptured into the sky. Would everyone just start praying to the god of those who were raptured asking for forgiveness.
This is far-fetched, but I'm just interested in seeing the responses.

This being purely a theoretical intellectual exercise, if something happened that clearly and unequivocally proved god exists, then no I still would NOT worship him. A divine being who sits on his butt watching people die the most horrible deaths without lifting a finger does not deserve my praise or adoration. Heck, I know human beings that are better people than him! And I don't go down on my knees worshiping them!

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM

We're not wrong because I said we're not wrong. That's all the reassurance you need.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bird's post
01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
(31-05-2011 09:19 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I think if I found out god existed and he was exactly as it says in the OT, I'd worship Satan and plot to kill the high lofty psychotic bastard in a second wave war in Heaven. Kicking supreme Sadist to the curb, and raising the Devil to the loft apartment where burn salve and pools of blue water would reign eternally, while Fundies re-paved the golden roads with the monies we confiscated from Televangelists coffers, while prayers were finally answered because the answering machine that's clearly existed with an infinite tape is thrown into the flaming depths where it belongs, as it melts and releases prayers beseeching in surround sound throughout the depths so that the weeping and wailing of unanswered begging makes fallen sadists' ears bleed.

Hey man, if you're gonna dream kick ass. Feel me? Wink

Gassy,
I want to see this in a movie! Comic book styling!!

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
— Marcus Aurelius

This sums up my opinion.
If there are good gods , then they will see my behavior and judge me accordingly.
If there are evil gods , then they can punish me for all eternity , I am not worshiping them to the detriment of my fellow human beings.
And if there are no gods , then maybe some humans will remember for a while before all memories of me fade away and the particles of my body are once again spread on the nomadic cosmic voyage they originated from.

If I'm wrong , then so be it - I was honest in my disbelief and have no regrets. I was honest to myself first and foremost.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
(31-05-2011 09:05 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  If I may add my own sub-question: what if you found out God existed and he was exactly like it says in the Old Testament?

The god of the OT is very interesting. He's a bloodthirsty, vile being, but he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. If you read through the OT you'll see he resembles a god from a polytheistic religion a lot. He just doesn't seem all powerful. He needs to send his people to attack and slaughter cities. And there are several instances when I have trouble reading the OT in any other way than God just got conned. To get to my point, I'd fight him. I'm with GK, let's get some iron chariots, 21st century style, and blow that sucker to the Hell he created. Get the Devil for support, he seems like a better fellow than God anyway.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The title of this thread confuses me. Shouldn't it be: (not Pascal related)?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
(02-06-2011 09:33 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The title of this thread confuses me. Shouldn't it be: (not Pascal related)?

It's definitely Pascal's wager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg

Perhaps he's trying to avoid the smartass answer "What if we're all wrong about this or that god?" that Dawkins likes to use, and instead try to get an answer for "What would you do if you were proven wrong?"

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
06-06-2011, 11:56 PM

(03-06-2011 11:45 AM)Efrx86 Wrote:  
(02-06-2011 09:33 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The title of this thread confuses me. Shouldn't it be: (not Pascal related)?

It's definitely Pascal's wager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg

Perhaps he's trying to avoid the smartass answer "What if we're all wrong about this or that god?" that Dawkins likes to use, and instead try to get an answer for "What would you do if you were proven wrong?"

Yeah, sorry about the title, the creative juices weren't exactly floating in my headBig Grin

The answers were very insightful and I agree wholeheartedly with not worshiping the "evil" god. Thanks guys.
07-06-2011, 06:36 AM

(31-05-2011 09:54 PM)Maumin Wrote:  This video sums it up:
What if I'm wrong

I saw this video a while ago and I think that it sums it up perfectly! I love it!
The sub question:
I'm not sure, I definently wouldn't want to burn for eternity, but at the same time he is evil and I wouldn't understand how anyone could truely love that. So I would probably burn =)