What if you physically can't do what God commands of you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2012, 12:12 AM
RE: What if you physically can't do what God commands of you?
Trolling and ragging, BC? Tongue

I'm sure you heard the one where Jesus never gives you a burden you cannot carry. The way I figure it, ethics is about society and morality the individual; in moral terms it's about you and god, never mind what everybody else is doing. Got a houseful of kids here, they go "but x doesn't do this or that or the other thing, so why should I?"

Prolly what aggravates me about this post, it sounds like a whiny kid. How's that for a theist perspective?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
(10-05-2012 09:31 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 08:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Can't believe I'm pseudo siding with He Who Must Not Be Named, but it is a silly question.
What "preacher" is telling mute people they are going to Hell because they're not confessing Jesus as Savior with their mouth? Not happening, unless maybe it's a Fred Phelps type and Christianity does not recognize him as representing the Faith.

Well that's exactly my point. Humans don't have the heart to tell the handicapped they're going to hell according to the Bible (Leviticus) so they make an exception to the rule so they'll feel better about their religion. Strangely, "God" does whatever his people think he should do.

Stop thinking within the confines of atheism and consider the question from a theist context.
Actually I was considering the question from a theistic context, that's why I think the question is moot to a Christian and to the preacher's who were straw-manned in the OP. Theists don't think this way. When an atheist poses this kind of question, the True Believer will tell you God knows what we can handle, and He will always help us get through
whatever may come our way. Then they will quote "God is faithful, and He will not let you be
tested beyond your strength, but with the testing He will provide the
way out so that you may be able to endure it."
1 Corinthians 10.13. And half a million other verses that teach the sheeple that God will take care of the heavy lifting so don't sweat if you're physically handicapped or not.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Isn't this what Jesus' (the mortal) message was all about. I still seem him as a civil rights leader of his day preaching that even the sick and poverty stricken are good people and should be treated a little better by the upper class. Like the civil rights leaders of our day he pointed out the hypocrisy that was rampant back then. The rich and powerful hated him for it and ultimately took him out. Those he helped worshiped him.
12-05-2012, 08:35 AM
(10-05-2012 11:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ok then, thinking from a theist perspective I would think that handicaps are going to hell. I would also think that they are going to hell because God made them the way they per-determining that they are going to hell and that God made them that way as a form of punishment and so they would never have a chance of salvation (not being able to confess their sins etc..).
So in other words they are evil and are bound for hell and their handicap is to ensure further suffering during their time on earth and giving them no chance of salvation as a form of rubbing salt into the wound.
And anyone who believed that kind of theology is a sociopath with a psychopathic god.

This thinking is very close to Calvinist or other predestination theology. These theologies are morally bankrupt since they remove all human responsibility.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
(10-05-2012 09:31 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 08:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Can't believe I'm pseudo siding with He Who Must Not Be Named, but it is a silly question.
What "preacher" is telling mute people they are going to Hell because they're not confessing Jesus as Savior with their mouth? Not happening, unless maybe it's a Fred Phelps type and Christianity does not recognize him as representing the Faith.
Well that's exactly my point. Humans don't have the heart to tell the handicapped they're going to hell according to the Bible (Leviticus) so they make an exception to the rule so they'll feel better about their religion. Strangely, "God" does whatever his people think he should do.
Hmm... Sleepy

An old bud of mine who died several years ago of issues related to his cerebral palsy, was repeatedly advised by his church that he wouldn't have been born with his condition had he no sin in his heart. He was constantly going to that same church and asking for forgiveness, not to be cured, just in hope of relief... as his body wasted away. I told him not to hang out with people like that and that they were wrong. He said he liked hanging around with me, but he was a God fearing person. I'm sure he was well prayed for.

Nope, not a fringe group, not a Fred Phelps outlet, just some good old time religion from a small-to-mid-sized town's, neighborhood church. Fairly run of the mill protestant denomination, as I recall.

You might not be too far off though; some humans may not have the heart to tell the handicapped they are going to Hell, but some don't have to. Many let their religion do it for them, and then hide behind their God.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
^^On a similar note. I was taking a class on Deaf Culture a couple years ago and there was a young, out lesbian in the class that was losing her hearing. Another woman in the class told her that her impending deafness was a punishment from God for being an abomination. There was also a Little Person in the class (great guy, by the way) who wanted to learn to be a sign language interpreter so that he could help people since so many had helped him over the years. This same, stupid woman told him that his condition was a punishment caused by God because of the sins of his parents.

I did bring these statements to the Professor and she made sure those comments ceased. I have a thing for sticking up for anyone that I think is being bullied. Hits too close to home.

It's disgusting to me the things that are said and done to people in the name of a religious belief system.

The other issue for me was the Catholic concept that unbaptized babies couldn't enter heaven (back in the days of limbo). Even as a kid I couldn't figure out how they could be held accountable.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-05-2012, 01:53 PM
This thread reminds me of this video (comments I would've made have pretty much been said, so I'll not repeat):

[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post