What if your own children became religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: What if your own children became religious?
If my kids decided to believe, I would first question why. I would want to know when and where they learned about god, since they have not been indoctrinated here at home.

Second, I would discuss the idea with them just like I would any other believer that I cared about. I would NOT, however, pretend to respect their belief in god. I simply cannot respect a belief based on faith. That doesn't mean I don't respect people who believe, it just means I don't respect their belief.

BTW-not respecting something is NOT the same as disrespecting something. But to tell someone I care about that I respect their belief when I don't would be very disrespectful. Does that make sense?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
12-03-2014, 12:34 PM
If any of my kin decided to talk to me about finding faith, I'd like to listen to them, but I think we would both enjoy trying to convert the other due to it being in our blood haha.
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
12-03-2014, 12:34 PM
(12-03-2014 11:44 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  How would you react?
I would react the same way i react to my family members,i will try to talk to them and maybe try convince him/her to stop wasting him/her time&money on some ancient myth.

My family is mostly dead conservative and they know that i'm an atheist and they still treat me pretty much the same way they did before so i don't think it would be any different if my parents were atheists and i was a theist,for us Indians family relationship is more important than anything.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
12-03-2014, 01:27 PM
(12-03-2014 11:44 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  How would you react?

I'm married to a Christian. I was Christian when we got married, and stopped believing several years later. I have two daughters (two and five). The five-year-old already is Christian (well, as much as a five-year-old can be).

Luckily, my wife is the type to jettison some of the creepier aspects of her religion, so hopefully my daughter's won't pick that up. As they get older, I'll be honest about my lack of belief and encourage them to think critically about their decisions (not just religion).

I know this much bothered my wife. I think she realized that if the belief system is presented as optional from an early age, the indoctrination might not set in firmly...
12-03-2014, 01:29 PM
I would shank my kid 50 times... With a pillow. Big Grin
PILLOW FIGHT!
I'd love them anyways, but still try to convert them.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
12-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Re: RE: What if your own children became religious?
(12-03-2014 12:31 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If my kids decided to believe, I would first question why. I would want to know when and where they learned about god, since they have not been indoctrinated here at home.

Second, I would discuss the idea with them just like I would any other believer that I cared about. I would NOT, however, pretend to respect their belief in god. I simply cannot respect a belief based on faith. That doesn't mean I don't respect people who believe, it just means I don't respect their belief.

BTW-not respecting something is NOT the same as disrespecting something. But to tell someone I care about that I respect their belief when I don't would be very disrespectful. Does that make sense?

How old are your kids?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2014, 01:46 PM
(12-03-2014 01:42 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 12:31 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If my kids decided to believe, I would first question why. I would want to know when and where they learned about god, since they have not been indoctrinated here at home.

How old are your kids?

Two daughters. 14 and 17.

I think I'm in the clear. Thumbsup

12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
(12-03-2014 01:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 01:42 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  How old are your kids?

17 you say?

Big Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
12-03-2014, 01:51 PM
(12-03-2014 01:48 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 01:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Two daughters. 14 and 17.

17 you say?

Big Grin

Careful boy. Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
12-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Re: RE: What if your own children became religious?
(12-03-2014 01:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 01:42 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  How old are your kids?

Fairy nuff

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user