What if your own children became religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 02:40 PM
RE: What if your own children became religious?
(12-03-2014 07:45 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 01:56 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Anyway, now that I have adopted a moral philosophy to my life (not this empirical Darwinian monkey mutual back-scratching stuff, but actual moral philosophy de Molyneux), I feel my life as deeply meaningful and I feel reverence for human capacity for goodness. I think this is something that lots of atheists are missing and I would welcome if my children searched for something like that as well.

Those are interesting thoughts, I'd like to see you expound on that.
Here. Have a look, please.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...l-violence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 02:56 PM
When it comes to personal beliefs I hold that one must never be coercive. As such if the reverse were to happen to me then I would treat them the same my other kids (I don't actually have kids or a wife but I suspect I will have multiple kids).

Although I would still expect adherence to Catholic Morals

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
13-03-2014, 03:32 PM
(13-03-2014 02:56 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  When it comes to personal beliefs I hold that one must never be coercive. As such if the reverse were to happen to me then I would treat them the same my other kids (I don't actually have kids or a wife but I suspect I will have multiple kids).

Although I would still expect adherence to Catholic Morals

Two questions:

1. I'm assuming that by the "reverse" you mean them declaring they were no longer Christian. Why would you expect them to adhere to Catholic morals if they no longer considered themselves Catholic?

2. By "expecting to adhere," do you mean you would coerce them into accepting your morals regardless of whether they agreed or not, or do you just mean you would like it if they did but wouldn't force it on them?

[Image: giphy.gif]
13-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Re: RE: What if your own children became religious?
(12-03-2014 11:44 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  How would you react?

Why do you choose to not be religious (curiosity not criticism)?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 08:29 PM
I am going through this with my 16 year old son now. He is really into his Christian church and has good friends there. He knows where I stand and has expressed his feelings about how I argue with his grandmother about all of the unfounded beliefs. I guess I will let him take the path that makes him happy, although my hope would be for him to keep asking questions and learning about science.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
13-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I just don't think that forcing your non-belief is that much better than forcing a belief. At some point, as parents, we have to trust that we have taught our kids in the best way we could. We have to allow them to be who they are. I made a point of letting my kids go to church services with their friends and being in the Bible belt it's not like they weren't exposed to the beliefs every day and everywhere (except home).

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Teach your kids how to think, not what to think. Do that well enough and they'll figure out the rest for themselves.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-03-2014, 11:34 AM
(13-03-2014 11:11 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Teach your kids how to think, not what to think. Do that well enough and they'll figure out the rest for themselves.

That was my experience raising 4 fine young Catholic atheists. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.