What if your wrong!!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-06-2011, 02:35 PM
What if your wrong!!
I get this a lot... as I am sure everyone does.. I have heard a lot of people, atheist and christen, give different answers. but I am curious to know something...

If you died today and stood before "GOD" is there really any way he could prove to you that "he" really is GOD? Sure he can turn himself into a bag of cotton candy or perform some magical trick. But, does a physical act attest to the validity of what someone or something says about itself?

I turn red when Christians try to bring up miracles as "proof" of what someone says or believes. At best it is a non sequiter... Even if Jesus Christ came down tomorrow he would have a hell of a time convincing me of who he was based on physical acts... I am not sure what it would take in either situation... What would it take for you?

Myst

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 02:40 PM
RE: What if your wrong!!
Surprisingly little...

Since he controls everything, the only thing he needs to do to convince me is set the "convinced" bit in my brain... Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
22-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Well if I died and suddenly I was in this cloud city with angels, staring at a god (probably on a throne, eating angel food cake), I would first hope and assume that I'm dreaming. Then as time passed and I realized this was real, I would have to believe (in heaven, angels, and a god... I wouldn't assume that any of the religions were accurate). Though that doesn't mean I would grovel or try and reason with him. I'd call him an asshole and demand to know why he delights in torturing people. Maybe I could get a few words in before I go to hell, make him cry on his pillow that night.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-06-2011, 02:51 PM
(22-06-2011 02:47 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  make him cry on his pillow that night.
He does that every night. He's very lonely you know...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-06-2011, 03:02 PM
(22-06-2011 02:40 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Surprisingly little...

Since he controls everything, the only thing he needs to do to convince me is set the "convinced" bit in my brain... Smile

A deceitful move... if so played. ;-)

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
22-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I've thought about this many a time before and I always come to the same conclusion. I wouldn't care. I don't believe there is or isn't a god, and seeing one would still leave me with the same set of questions I have now, only maybe he could answer them for me. Doubtful though. I've asked myself if there is any answer I think there is that would satisfy me as to why everything is, and I came up with a resounding no. Whether there is a god or isn't is irrelevant because that question remains unanswered. Still it would freak me out a little bit. Especially when I realized I was going to hell.

Does anyone else think our suffering for eternity will become mundane and boring after a while? I mean I can get bored of anything given enough time. "Oh... the fire and whips again today... can't we try skin peeling, we haven't done that for a while... no... I see why this is hell."

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
22-06-2011, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2011 08:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
Meh... wouldn't be the first time.

(22-06-2011 07:50 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Does anyone else think our suffering for eternity will become mundane and boring after a while?

Pretty sure pleasure and ecstasy would also become tiresome pretty quick. Do I really have to screw all these gorgeous women and gorge myself on all these delectable delights again today? I mean I sure as hell goddam hope everything's temporary, the alternatives feel intolerable.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-06-2011, 08:18 PM
If I am wrong at least I would hang out with tons of cool people in hell.

Also... *points to signature*

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
[+] 1 user Likes Efrx86's post
22-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I sorta hope the christian god does exist, so I can spit in his face and ask to be sent to hell.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
22-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't particularly think I'd be wrong as I see death as an adventure in itself. If it really was the pearly gates and St. Peter I'd be upset though, christians have such a boring afterlife idea. I'd much rather be a cat or something. If I was then addressed by "god", I would ask him what makes him think he can call himself god =p Would be interesting if I got to talk a while as there's pretty much nothing he could do to make up for earth =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.