What if your wrong!!
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
27-06-2011, 01:20 AM
RE: What if your wrong!!
Most religious people don't even know what's in that book, let alone worry about the individual picturesque descriptions of 3000-year-old places, events and persons. They simply don't go in for the line-by-line critique so favoured by many atheists. The significance of mythology is quite different from literal belief in the minute details.

Doesn't it seem odd that people who place complete faith in a book and claim it is the foundation for their morality and the guide to how they interact with other humans, including their spouses and children, while waving it around and telling others they must believe in it, would pay such little attention to what's written in it? I can't think of a better reason for a comprehensive understanding of the contents, and a line-by-line examination of it's specifics than; "This book is by far the single most important document I will ever read, and the salvation of my eternal soul depends upon my following it's tenets to the letter."

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2011, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2011 10:20 AM by Peterkin.)
Yes, and that's exactly what i did at around age 18. The Genesis section of my family bible is underlined and margin-noted to death (Too bad! It was quite a nice King James, c 1920) But then, comparing that creation myth to others of different cultures, and seeing the similarities, i realized the details were unimportant. There is a much bigger, more significant picture.
Literalism was the single biggest mistake of the early christian church. (Most recent theologians agree.) The bishops probably insisted on unconditional acceptance, so that new [reluctant] converts would follow their orders and not ask inconvenient questions. Since only a few people could read, and they were mainly church-educated, this presented no problem - especially as they could always jail or burn nonconformists. Still, it left a huge conceptual gap, through which logicians have been driving wagons (later trucks) ever since. Harmless fun.*

(*unless you're a Hitchens and take it too seriously and do it too publicly and become like a secular hero and the fundies consider you a threat and really get a hate on.... but, hey, even then, you can still screw up royally)

The real open secret is, of course, that most people who claim to believe really don't. If they did, they would behave quite differently. The ones who do believe, do behave differently.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
28-06-2011, 02:56 AM
(22-06-2011 02:35 PM)myst32 Wrote:  I get this a lot... as I am sure everyone does.. I have heard a lot of people, atheist and christen, give different answers. but I am curious to know something...

If you died today and stood before "GOD" is there really any way he could prove to you that "he" really is GOD? Sure he can turn himself into a bag of cotton candy or perform some magical trick. But, does a physical act attest to the validity of what someone or something says about itself?

I turn red when Christians try to bring up miracles as "proof" of what someone says or believes. At best it is a non sequiter... Even if Jesus Christ came down tomorrow he would have a hell of a time convincing me of who he was based on physical acts... I am not sure what it would take in either situation... What would it take for you?

According to the world population page of wiki:

Quote:Estimates of "the total number of people who have ever lived" published in the first decade of the 21st century range approximately from 100 to 115 billion

and there's nearly 7bn of us left down here alive on earth. Now, if I manage to get as far as meeting god then presumably I'm into heaven. That means it's not as hard as organised religion makes out - I'm a non believer, living in sin and eating meat on fridays. Heaven must already be pretty crowded! The first thing that springs to my mind from the OP's question is how many people die on any given day? Quick google gives an estimate of about 70,000.

Now, I've been to DisneyWorld, and I don't know how many people visit every day but I'm going to guess it's not 70k. And there are many attractions, not just the one (god) to see. And I still had to queue for 2 and a half hours to get on splash mountain.

I think if God actually did manage to fit me in on the day I died and I didn't have to stand in a queue for 5 years waiting for my turn to see him, then I would be mightily impressed. I wouldn't be entirely convinced but it would certainly be a good start.