What in hell is going on?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2011, 10:41 AM
RE: What in hell is going on?
(28-12-2011 10:19 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I hope you don't mind if I steal this quote.

LOL, feel free. I am not copyrighted.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2011, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2011 10:56 AM by calmblueocean.)
(27-12-2011 04:35 PM)cufflink Wrote:  As for cruel, there's the delightful story of Jesus and the Fig Tree (Matthew 21:18-22, Mark 11:12-14, 19-25). God's Kid is hungry; he comes upon a fig tree, hoping for some fruit, but there's nothing but leaves, since it wasn't the season for figs. So Jesus curses the tree and it dies. Nice.

I've never understand why the Gospel writers put that story in. It makes Jesus seem so petty and irrational. Did he really think it was the fig tree's fault there were no figs? Not the most admirable fellow, that Jesus.

I agree! But, predictably, there's a rationale for this. I did a bit of research last year or so on this passage and the answer I discovered is that, basically, it's a metaphor. The fig tree represents ... crap, I don't remember exactly. I think when I learned how quickly and easily my logical questions of 'hey, how come Jesus is being so nasty for no readily apparent reason?' were deflected by 'oh, that just means something else', I dropped it from my brain. I think the tree was supposed to represent a certain group of people who were straying from the path or somesuch so Jesus punished them.

Or something. :/
Aaand if I'd read the remainder of the thread before posting I'd've seen that others have addressed this most admirably. *puts on pointy hat, sits in corner*. Smile

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
28-12-2011, 10:58 AM
(28-12-2011 09:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The reason apologetics exist is because Jesus and God act outside of what is normally considered "perfect behavior". Christians have to explain this because we believe our God is perfect while others see it as contradictory. You see it as blue even though I see it as red. As always, I think it boils down to the perspective of the individual.

I strive to see things from as many point of views as I can imagine.

It boils down to the difference between rational and irrational thought.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user