What in the world is this saying?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 07:55 AM
What in the world is this saying?
Home `Abdu'l-Bahá
Some Answered Questions
Author: ‘Abdu’l-Bahá Source: US Bahá’í Publishing Trust, 1990 reprint of pocket-size edition Pages: 305
Go to printed page GO
« Previous | Contents | Next »
Print Print Selection Pages 103-105
23: THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST

Question.—What is the meaning of Christ’s resurrection after three days?
Answer.—The resurrections of the Divine Manifestations are not of the body. All Their states, Their conditions, Their acts, the things They have established, Their teachings, Their expressions, Their parables and Their instructions have a spiritual and divine signification, and have no connection with material things. For example, there is the subject of Christ’s coming from heaven: it is clearly stated in many places in the Gospel that the Son of man came from heaven, He is in heaven, and He will go to heaven. So in chapter 6, verse 38, of the Gospel of John it is written: “For I came down from heaven”; and also in verse 42 we find: “And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?” Also in John, chapter 3, verse 13: “And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but He that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.”
Observe that it is said, “The Son of man is in heaven,” while at that time Christ was on earth. Notice also that it is said that Christ came from heaven, though He came from the womb of Mary, and His body was born of Mary. It is clear, then, that when it is said that the Son of man is come from heaven, this has not an outward but an inward signification; it is a spiritual, not a material, fact. The meaning is that though, apparently, Christ was born from 104 the womb of Mary, in reality He came from heaven, from the center of the Sun of Reality, from the Divine World, and the Spiritual Kingdom. And as it has become evident that Christ came from the spiritual heaven of the Divine Kingdom, therefore, His disappearance under the earth for three days has an inner signification and is not an outward fact. In the same way, His resurrection from the interior of the earth is also symbolical; it is a spiritual and divine fact, and not material; and likewise His ascension to heaven is a spiritual and not material ascension.
Beside these explanations, it has been established and proved by science that the visible heaven is a limitless area, void and empty, where innumerable stars and planets revolve.
Therefore, we say that the meaning of Christ’s resurrection is as follows: the disciples were troubled and agitated after the martyrdom of Christ. The Reality of Christ, which signifies His teachings, His bounties, His perfections and His spiritual power, was hidden and concealed for two or three days after His martyrdom, and was not resplendent and manifest. No, rather it was lost, for the believers were few in number and were troubled and agitated. The Cause of Christ was like a lifeless body; and when after three days the disciples became assured and steadfast, and began to serve the Cause of Christ, and resolved to spread the divine teachings, putting His counsels into practice, and arising to serve Him, the Reality of Christ became resplendent and His bounty appeared; His religion found life; His teachings and His admonitions became evident and visible. In other words, the Cause of Christ was like a lifeless body until the life and the bounty of the Holy Spirit surrounded it.
Such is the meaning of the resurrection of Christ, and this was a true resurrection. But as the clergy have neither understood the meaning of the Gospels nor comprehended 105 the symbols, therefore, it has been said that religion is in contradiction to science, and science in opposition to religion, as, for example, this subject of the ascension of Christ with an elemental body to the visible heaven is contrary to the science of mathematics. But when the truth of this subject becomes clear, and the symbol is explained, science in no way contradicts it; but, on the contrary, science and the intelligence affirm it.
« Previous | Contents | Next »
Search
This Book
All Books
Authors
Bahá’u’lláh
The Báb
‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Shoghi Effendi
Universal House of Justice
Compilations
Others
Titles
Listed by Author
Listed Alphabetically
Languages
English
فارسی
عربي
Sites
The Bahá'ís
Bahá'í World News Service
Statement Library
One Country

Does this mean jesus resurrection is symbolic? If so then jesus wasn't real right? So again thr religion crumbles right?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 08:09 AM
RE: What in the world is this saying?
Quote:science and the intelligence affirm it

Yeah, we looked with the Hubble telescope and spotted Jeebus orbiting Uranus. Facepalm

He seems to be saying Jesus' resurrection was a metaphor for the cause of Christ, and then says science confirms this metaphor. Totally idiotic and incoherent. FacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
I thought that was what she was saying. She is my cousin. She didn't send this to be mean she is trying to help but I don't think she understands what it is saying. Lol
03-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Jack be nimble.
Jack be quick.
Jack jumped over the candlestick.

I think the author was using the candlestick as a metaphor for the driving force in life that moves us all. Jack is showing us that by striving to achieve more than we think we can, that this is ultimately a good pathway to success

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-02-2015, 09:07 AM
But I can and have done better then I thought I could without God. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
I think it means that yet another person has invented their own personal interpretation of the events and can barely explain it in a way that is comprehensible.

(03-02-2015 07:55 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  But as the clergy have neither understood the meaning of the Gospels nor comprehended 105 the symbols, ...

I'm always astounded by people that think they know better than the clergy. I mean today, as a nonbeliever, it makes sense to know better in the sense of it all being wrong. But, for a continued believer to think they know "the religious truth" better than the people who have supposedly studied the subject in great depth, it's quite arrogant.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-02-2015, 10:21 AM
It is allegory of allegory. Christ is a personification of the "Word" upon which religious allegory is built. The Pre-Christian Gnostics exposed the secrets of the religious allegory upon which Judaism was based and thereby "crucified" or "uncovered" (as in "apocalypse") the Word. To undo the damage, strict censorship (taxation) was imposed (represented by the disciple Matthew) and the history of the Pre-Christian Gnostics was buried in the underworld of hidden meanings. (Josephus identifies the founder of these Gnostics as Judas the Galilean with the name "Judas" being derived from the Hebrew word "yada" meaning "to know".) There was also a campaign of disinformation led by the Jewish Philosopher Philo (a.k.a. the disciple John--See Plato's Ion for description of a "Jon".) to corrupt the teachings of the Gnostics and Christian Gnosticism was born and the Word was "resurrected".

The Christian Gnostics, however, were like a "man born blind", having no history that could explain their origin without revealing the secret they were created to hide. The creation of the allegoric Gospels helped to resolve this issue. Since much of the source material for the Gospel allegories came from Josephus' hidden history of Christianity, he is identified as the pretended "father" of Christ. Josephus is also identified as Joseph of Arimathea because he buried a history of early Christianity in his works but the "tomb" appears empty. (The Old Testament tomb builder Shebna was also identified as a scribe.) As for "Mary", that is the other face of Philo, whose name means "friend" in Greek, and this second identity is derived from the Hebrew word "merea'" which also means "friend". (Philo was telling half-truths about allegoric interpretation and therefore he has both "female" and "male" traits. Philo is a "hermaphrodite" and Da Vinci was aware of this fact.)

People may find it difficult to believe that anyone can accurately decipher Biblical allegory to uncover hidden history, but you have to admit that it makes more sense than the literal meaning of the passage in question. At least take time to seriously consider the possibility and the potential knowledge that may be gained by pursuing this approach.
[+] 1 user Likes Anti-oil's post
03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Bahá'í Faith was an attempt to unify the fracturing Abrahamic Faiths around the 19th century.

Remember that Islam does not recognise the resurrection nonsense and the Jews were all kinda 'meh' about Jebus anyway.

Quote:The Bahá'í Faith (Persian: بهائیت‎ Bahá'iyyat, Arabic: الدّين البهائي‎ Ad-Dīn al-Bahā'ī) /bəˈhaɪ/[1]) is a monotheistic religion which emphasizes the spiritual unity of all humankind.[2] Three core principles establish a basis for Bahá'í teachings and doctrine: the unity of God, that there is only one God who is the source of all creation; the unity of religion, that all major religions have the same spiritual source and come from the same God; and the unity of humanity, that all humans have been created equal and that diversity of race and culture are seen as worthy of appreciation and acceptance.[3] According to the Bahá'í Faith's teachings, the human purpose is to learn to know and to love God through such methods as prayer, reflection and being of service to humanity.

Result: All the other faiths said "fuck you" and went on another killing spree.

... because god is love and all that.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-02-2015, 07:48 PM
I clarified it with her and yes that it what it is saying that jesus is a metaphor. I guess I don't understand that logic either?