What information made you leave religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2015, 01:25 PM
What information made you leave religion?
I'm wondering what everyone learned when they left their faith. What was the final hurdle for you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: What information made you leave religion?
The total contradiction between biology and Genesis. That was the starting point, then realizing that everyone believes what they were taught by their parents, and my religion was just one of many BS stories...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 3 users Like Imathinker's post
13-12-2015, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 01:52 PM by Banjo.)
I was never religious. So there was no break away moment for myself.

As a teenager I was a martial artist and thought I should study philosophy. I began reading both Eastern and Western. The Western philosophy was co concerned with xianity I decided to read the bible to better understand that philosophy. Reading the bible was a shock. I realised then how immoral and evil it was. Why it was so hated by Nietzsche, for example. I decided to create my own moral worldview on Nietzsche's advice and one of those morals was to combat the evils of xianity. This was when I was about 16.

For decades I debated theists in real life, face to face discussions. I had both success and failure in this endeavour.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Hypocrisy.

Saying one thing and doing another.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
13-12-2015, 01:52 PM
(13-12-2015 01:25 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm wondering what everyone learned when they left their faith. What was the final hurdle for you?

When I left the faith I was raised in I did a lot of research trying to find one that made sense to me.

The final hurdle was the realization that I didn't have to believe in any of them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Nothing made me do it. It was by own accord.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
13-12-2015, 02:09 PM
I was more into some kind of vague "spirituality". The main things were just being introduced to critical thinking (thanks Carl Sagan), and doing a lot of research on the internet about intelligent design, which my history teacher in middle school talked about.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
13-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I already knew the science - such as evolution, Big Bang theory etc.

I already disagreed with most of the stuff on the bible - good fucking god I hated Paul and his mysogynistic bullshit. I stopped going to church because each time I went it actually pushed me farther away - it sounded stupid and judging and the answers just were not sufficient.

I was holding onto it more for emotional reason and Pascal's wager. After seeing countless tragedies, wondering how in the hell those could be in "god's plan" or how if he loved his creation he could both let them suffer and then torment those that didn't believe in him for eternity, I finally realized - wow, all this makes so much more sense to acknowledge there really is no God. The way this world works is as though there isn't one.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
13-12-2015, 02:19 PM
It never made sense to me. I was raised Jewish in the sense that we went through the motions at the holidays and I went to Hebrew school, and all that bullshit, but religion wasn't really pushed in my house. My parents were always more focused on the cultural aspects of being Jewish than the religious aspects and, while they won't admit it, my parents are at least agnostics. So, I never had god rammed down my throat. And, when I thought about it, it just didn't make sense to me.

For a long time I called myself an agnostic because I wasn't prepared to admit that there was absolutely no god. I didn't think there was but it was tough to completely let go of the idea that there was one. I got over that at some point, not exactly sure when. Probably in the last 10 years or so.

What's a much more recent thing for me is to be willing to admit to people that I'm an outright atheist. I don't live in the bible belt and religion in the northeast is not nearly as big a thing as it is in other parts of the country. And, I was concerned about the reactions to saying I was an atheist at first. I can only imagine some of the crap many of you deal with over this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
13-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Agree with all of the above. I hated the Proverbs woman bullshit my church peddled, but yet tried to make sound like a good thing--like you were somehow being empowered as a woman for living like that. Really? Empowered by having a man tell you what to do? No thank you. It was at odds with how I wanted to live my life. I struggled with that for a long time as a Christian--but was told that was my "cross" to bear and that living in faith isn't easy for anyone. But Jesus died for us, so you should put *his* feelings first. And I did, for a long time.

I also didn't like that the church had a problem with my doing yoga. They believed you could be swayed by the devil by doing it because it comes from another religion. Hobo

I didn't like the hypocrisy, the hate, the misogyny, the biblical "morals," the anti-science, the belief that Christians know all the answers from some magical book, and the brainwashing.

So, yeah, happy to be free of all of that Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post