What information made you leave religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: What information made you leave religion?
History. Seriously, we can see when gods like yahweh were made up. To add my dad is a Hebrew Israelite, so there is that.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2015, 03:44 PM
The girls in church were "saving it for marriage".....

That got me outta there...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-12-2015, 03:56 PM
(13-12-2015 01:25 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm wondering what everyone learned when they left their faith. What was the final hurdle for you?

Finding out it was all false and prayed on fear. That and the church we attended in the early 90's were prophesising that they knew of someone, who knew someone who had a story......Yeah, I know how dumb it seems now.

The story was that several people had pulled over on the motorway because 'an angel' had appeared in their car and told them rapture would come in the year 2000. I was 15 when I heard this and very naive, I shat my pants and for several years it genuinely scared me. Was I good enough to go to heaven? Would I have to kneel at the guillotine because I was left behind?

I finally decided that if someone wanted to scare me that much, they couldn't be my friend and they certainly weren't kind. It was a number of steps (albeit easy ones) from there on in.

I am genuinely angry at these people! Although now I pity them.
16-12-2015, 08:54 PM
What information made you leave religion?
(16-12-2015 01:16 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  What made me religion and what made me leave the faith were two different happenings.

Short Story: I left Religion because of boredom, and distance.
I left faith because information, compare and contrast, Tom Cruise and a woman.

Long Story: I identified myself as a Catholic till about 21-24. I stopped going to church at around 19-21. My mother gave me a choice if I wanted to continue going once I made it threw the 7 sacraments of Confirmation. I chose not to, and i felt guilty, but with College I used my time for study and party's. Around that time I started really questioning what I believed.

I meet people that were outside my bubble of reality in my home town. Different faiths, thoughts and perspectives. I would present questions to people, and usually act as the voice of opposition to see their views to see how they reacted, or maybe they had information that I missed out on. Most of the time they went just to "you need faith."

After college I moved back in with my parents. Religion was never a huge thing for us. But thoughts still remained if my thoughts on god were true. I prayed often, and would talk as if God was listening, looking for signs that he was. I began to wonder what other faiths where like. And started looking at them and comparing them to the one I grew up with. At that time Tom Cruise was in the news all the time talking about Scientology. So I looked into it. The crazy shit I found I could not believe that anyone would fall for that.

I pulled up files to read on all the dark back story's that their church had done I started watching XenuTV. The zealots that would come after the host. It made me start to think of people that I knew that acted that way. I started look at Cults how people could be fooled to believe in something that seemed outrageous. I the started looking into the big dogs Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and finally Christianity. Seeing if their angel compared with facts that I've accumulated that I could diffidently prove. I found street debates and feel upon this crazy guy that looked like a bicker. Aroanra Which bleed me into the Amazing Atheist, and The Thinking Atheist, Dawkins, Hitchens. Amazing Randy and numorous others.
My faith in god was shaken but not removed.
I completely lost my faith over all things a woman.

I had been single the majority of my life. My praied I did every night since i hit puberty was that I would have a relationship with someone. I wanted sex, but the deeper part of it was I wanted a companion. I would pray before I meet a girl hoping she would be the one. They would always end the same way, the same words. "You wouldn't want to date me." Or none at all. Just complete distance.

I started talking with this girl on-line. We seemed to be of the one mind, we agreed on everything, politics, religious views, personal feelings. The only draw back was she lived in another state, that she never wanted to tell me. I also was never shown a image. I had a web cam and she could see me but she never showed her. We talked for 8 months and she would even tell me what she looked like. She would always have an excuse. My friends where worried for me because I would spend all my time on the computer talking to her. We told each other how much we loved one another, but I couldn't understand why she didn't want to show me her face. I had grown a mustache for a costume I was wearing for Halloween she liked it. But after Halloween was over i shaved it off. She was outraged. To the point she stopped talking to me. I was heart broken. It made me think about the days I wasted, that I thought she was the answers to my prayers. I praised to god why have you not been their for me? What have I done that would not make you help me in this you know how long, and how faithful I've been. Why haven't you been there?...because your not there." It hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't believe how I didn't put it together before. I never had this praied answered, because there was nothing there to answer it.

I'm sorry that happen to you. I didn't like that the girl wouldn't show you her picture. It also wasn't right of her to be all angry that she didn't talk to you about your mustache. I personally love mustache's on men but I wouldn't be upset over it. My ex kind of helped me along the way to my atheism. So did my Christian counselor believe it or not. She told me that God did answer my prayer. Then I thought well maybe he can God can bring back my mother. He didn't so that really open up my eyes. It also helped me with closure for my mom and lead me to acceptance. Boom! Instant happiness. I'm still upset over my mom but you never get over losing a parent. I hope that you find someone some day. Just keep looking.

Blessed_Cheesemaker, I also did a lot of research. It's amazing what you find. I also found out that Christianity is a cult.
17-12-2015, 06:23 AM
The problem of evil and firsthand experience with it. I was told god healed people and the whole church was praying for me to heal the scoliosis I had and it didn't do anything for me.

I realized that answered prayer was a thing of luck and changing your perception of things around you. It wasn't anything that actually changed the world in an external fashion, it was only effective if you interpreted things happening around you as answers, but if you wanted something that required actual changes that were demonstrable, it didn't work.

I remained a Christian for years, but I watched as other people would pray for healing and some of them actually died. It wasn't just me that this god ignored, it was everyone.

There was a point where my mom pushed me about getting back in church, I rejected that and that caused me to realize that I need to evaluate this religion I had grown up in.

I was already skeptical, but when I started reading some books and viewing skeptical videos, it collapsed rapidly. I had already debunked many of these claims by Christianity, it was just a matter of clarifying and focusing this skepticism that destroyed what tiny vestige of faith I had left.

As soon as the light comes on, you start re-reading the bible and looking at those things that skeptics bring up, the science, the morality, the ridiculous holes in the stories. It can't stand up to serious scrutiny.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-12-2015, 03:44 PM
(17-12-2015 06:23 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  As soon as the light comes on, you start re-reading the bible and looking at those things that skeptics bring up, the science, the morality, the ridiculous holes in the stories. It can't stand up to serious scrutiny.
This is how I feel. When I realized that God was not real, everything seem to fall apart. The bible not being true, prayers not answered, it all clicked. Well said! Smile