What is British culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 06:06 AM
What is British culture?
There's been a recent discussion a lately in politics about immigration affecting British culture.

The arguments go something like this:
British culture is being diluted by mass immigration
British culture is enriched by mass immigration
Britain does not have a culture and is rather a hybrid of cultures.

There's more, but they're apparently the main ones.
I don't know where I stand on this issue, because of course Britain came to be as a result of multiple invasions. However, from then on the culture was established through language, through literature, through politics. From the infamous navy to the shitty food and even shittier weather.

Aside from being able to list key features like these I really find it hard to put my finger on what it means to be British. Douglas Murray had a good go at this issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYCCZ4t-bnY

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 06:19 AM
RE: What is British culture?
I could probably move to the London area tomorrow and (apart from having to work on my accent a bit) blend in rather nicely. I can wave flags at last night of the proms, I love IPA, and all those other things.
I guess that tells you something about how unique all these traits are.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
15-04-2015, 06:26 AM
(15-04-2015 06:19 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I could probably move to the London area tomorrow and (apart from having to work on my accent a bit) blend in rather nicely. I can wave flags at last night of the proms, I love IPA, and all those other things.

I don't see your point.

15-04-2015, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015 06:56 AM by DLJ.)
Forget Douglas Murray... I reckon Al Murray sums it up...

What it means to be British... Irony and lots of it.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-04-2015, 06:32 AM
(15-04-2015 06:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Forget Douglas Murray... I reckon Al Murray sums it up...

What it means to be British... Irony and lots of it.

Hahaha, irony is the perfect word.

15-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Oxford style debates aren't best suited for hearing one side of the topic really.

I find it odd he deems the notion that people say immigrants are often filling jobs British people don't want as racist. It's not in anyway a racist component, it's a mental state.

If you hold your nations culture that you are in, raised in and brought up in, in a high esteemed superior manner, and view yourself in such a manner; you're going to generate a lot more people with a mindset that views themselves higher than lowly jobs. That's an outcome of saying this is a proud identity.

I don't see a what the desire is in saying, Britishness is institutions of parliament, the church of England, the school systems, etc. He doesn't say why at all that is something that holds more positive value than the alternative.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-04-2015, 06:49 AM
(15-04-2015 06:26 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:19 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I could probably move to the London area tomorrow and (apart from having to work on my accent a bit) blend in rather nicely. I can wave flags at last night of the proms, I love IPA, and all those other things.

I don't see your point.

My point is I guess that many of the things one would likely list as being typical and important about being British are easily shared by people of other nations, and hence maybe not so much about being British per se.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
15-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Sounds like something you find in a petri dish Confused

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2015, 06:58 AM
(15-04-2015 06:34 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Oxford style debates aren't best suited for hearing one side of the topic really.

I find it odd he deems the notion that people say immigrants are often filling jobs British people don't want as racist. It's not in anyway a racist component, it's a mental state.

If you hold your nations culture that you are in, raised in and brought up in, in a high esteemed superior manner, and view yourself in such a manner; you're going to generate a lot more people with a mindset that views themselves higher than lowly jobs. That's an outcome of saying this is a proud identity.

I don't see a what the desire is in saying, Britishness is institutions of parliament, the church of England, the school systems, etc. He doesn't say why at all that is something that holds more positive value than the alternative.

I think he's trying to argue that people are semi-ignorantly designating people of other cultures more suitable to working in lowly conditions than the British.

You don't think those British institutions are more positive than that of say Pakistani institutions? These institutions are what defines the values of ones culture, such as fair right to trial and free speech etc. At least I think that's what he's getting at. His point overall is that if you bring too many immigrants into your country in such a sport span of time then the values of your country water down. Eventually that would mean the country of destination will lose attractiveness because the original values that people found attractive will have lost credibility.

15-04-2015, 07:01 AM
(15-04-2015 06:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  Sounds like something you find in a petri dish Confused

I don't get it Sad