What is British culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 07:03 AM
RE: What is British culture?
(15-04-2015 06:49 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:26 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I don't see your point.

My point is I guess that many of the things one would likely list as being typical and important about being British are easily shared by people of other nations, and hence maybe not so much about being British per se.

Ah then I agree. I think that's what made hesitant to try and label anything as "culturally British". I think most countries have shared things like these. I really can't think of anything unique to Britain if I'm honest. Scotland, sure. Wales, Sure. N.Ireland, sure. England? Exploitation? Tongue

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 07:33 AM
(15-04-2015 07:01 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  Sounds like something you find in a petri dish Confused

I don't get it Sad

Maybe one finds it under one's (British) toenails? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-04-2015, 07:53 AM
British culture is getting a Bangladeshi taxi to an Irish pub, drinking german beer and scottish whisky, then getting a turkish kebab on the way home or ordering an Indian curry.
[+] 4 users Like Bad Wolf's post
15-04-2015, 08:00 AM
(15-04-2015 07:53 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  British culture is getting a Bangladeshi taxi to an Irish pub, drinking german beer and scottish whisky, then getting a turkish kebab on the way home or ordering an Indian curry.

I spent about a month in London many years ago. The pubs were great, the beer was fantastic. If it wasn't for the many Indian restaurants I would have starved because the food was largely inedible.

Other than that, all I know about British culture comes from Are You Being Served, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, etc
Tongue

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-04-2015, 08:10 AM
(15-04-2015 07:53 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  British culture is getting a Bangladeshi taxi to an Irish pub, drinking german beer and scottish whisky, then getting a turkish kebab on the way home or ordering an Indian curry.

That's the most common argument Tongue British culture is pluralist in nature etc.

15-04-2015, 08:29 AM
British culture = Geordies. Enough said.Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-04-2015, 09:30 AM
(15-04-2015 08:00 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I spent about a month in London many years ago. The pubs were great, the beer was fantastic. If it wasn't for the many Indian restaurants I would have starved because the food was largely inedible.

Other than that, all I know about British culture comes from Are You Being Served, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, etc
Tongue

Nowadays, a curry is just as 'British' as Steak and chips, tea and crumpets, roast beef, spotted dick, toad in the hole, fish and chips.
15-04-2015, 10:43 AM
(15-04-2015 07:03 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  [quote='Alex K' pid='765992' dateline='1429102169']

I really can't think of anything unique to Britain if I'm honest. Scotland, sure. Wales, Sure. N.Ireland, sure. England? Exploitation? Tongue

Been there, done that... Although, we rather tended to kill everyone straight away in lieu of exploiting them.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
15-04-2015, 11:32 AM
(15-04-2015 10:43 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 07:03 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  [quote='Alex K' pid='765992' dateline='1429102169']

I really can't think of anything unique to Britain if I'm honest. Scotland, sure. Wales, Sure. N.Ireland, sure. England? Exploitation? Tongue

Been there, done that... Although, we rather tended to kill everyone straight away in lieu of exploiting them.

I think I saw it in somebodies quote, forgot who though >.< Something like "The Germans invent it, the French improve upon it and the English exploit it"

15-04-2015, 12:12 PM
British culture is to look down at everything foreign as infirior.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]