What is British culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 01:39 PM
RE: What is British culture?
(15-04-2015 12:12 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  British culture is to look down at everything foreign as infirior.

Nah majority of people I've spoken to in my life have a hint of self loathing when it comes to nationalism. Especially leftists. It's been like this for a long time, I think Orwell spoke on the matter that he's never been to a country that consists of such a self loathing attitude.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Interesting. I would say Germans are not exactly self loathing, but just generally whiny and pessimistic. When they have the strongest economy on the continent, the will surely find a way to be negative about it. So there's a difference in mentality...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
15-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Germans don't have culture, don't make me laugh. Nietzsche told me so, and the anti nationalism of a self denying heritage philosopher from a hundred n some yeas ago is got to ring true to this day if I were to accept anything makes sense.

I can't say some more of that self loathing shouldn't spread around the seas but others get mighty defensive when they see it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-04-2015, 02:04 PM
(15-04-2015 02:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Germans don't have culture, don't make me laugh. Nietzsche told me so, and the anti nationalism of a self denying heritage philosopher from a hundred n some yeas ago is got to ring true to this day if I were to accept anything makes sense.

Erm, what?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 4 users Like Alex K's post
15-04-2015, 05:23 PM

There's a very good book called Watching the English that catalogues some of our interesting behavioral quirks.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 3 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
15-04-2015, 05:33 PM
[Image: fe2d32a882df4b590c9928cc6c9d715f.jpg]

Hmm...Royalty, Spice Girls, ugly hats?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
15-04-2015, 05:53 PM
When I was 5 in 1985 I remember being in the shop with my mum down the road from where we lived, I innocently asked her "is this the paki shop?" as that was all I had heard it be called. Looking back with hindsight the insulting thing was they were indian lol.

There used to be a joke "why doesnt pakistan play football? Caus everytime they get a corner they build a shop on it" and britain was very racist in the 80s. The immigration was through different stages, asylum seekers mostly, but then over the last 5-6 years the immigration has skyrocketed to the point that the once hated, but now accepted pakistan and indian communities are complaining about immigration from Europe. Its not just london, all the other boring and normal places all have immigrants, every town and city.

Overall though I think english people are polite, orderly and helpful. We are a spoilt society, with us expecting "rights" to help from the government when we are in need. Our problems whilst devastating to us, never amount to much when compared to living conditiins in the rest of the world.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
15-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Being a melting pot is usually a strength. Getting angsty over defending one's culture is for me an uncomfortable feeling. As a white American this is an issue we've grappled with over the last forty years of Central and South American immigration, but I've made my peace with the fact that the world I grew up in is not the world I live in.

Plus, the fuckers brought some fantastic food.
15-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Just please don't tell me that British Culture has anything to do with Downton Fucking Abbey.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
15-04-2015, 08:41 PM
(15-04-2015 07:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Just please don't tell me that British Culture has anything to do with Downton Fucking Abbey.

Gasp It doesn't?!?!

Me so disappoint. Weeping

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman