What is British culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 08:59 PM
RE: What is British culture?
(15-04-2015 05:23 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  

There's a very good book called Watching the English that catalogues some of our interesting behavioral quirks.

Laugh out load

I worked for Argos for 3 weeks before the "let me go" (cunts)... My job was bascally exactly that. Tramping round the warehouse like a hunchback, carrying patio sets and shit.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 09:26 PM
(15-04-2015 08:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 07:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Just please don't tell me that British Culture has anything to do with Downton Fucking Abbey.

Gasp It doesn't?!?!

Me so disappoint. Weeping

You and my wife.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-04-2015, 09:42 PM
(15-04-2015 08:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 07:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Just please don't tell me that British Culture has anything to do with Downton Fucking Abbey.

Gasp It doesn't?!?!

Me so disappoint. Weeping

No disappoint ... because it does.

It's why 'queuing' is instinctive.

Smile

15-04-2015, 09:46 PM
(15-04-2015 11:32 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  "The Germans invent it, the French improve upon it and the English exploit it"

Yabut, football... quite the reverse.

Sad

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2015, 05:40 AM
(15-04-2015 05:53 PM)bemore Wrote:  When I was 5 in 1985 I remember being in the shop with my mum down the road from where we lived, I innocently asked her "is this the paki shop?" as that was all I had heard it be called. Looking back with hindsight the insulting thing was they were indian lol.

There used to be a joke "why doesnt pakistan play football? Caus everytime they get a corner they build a shop on it" and britain was very racist in the 80s. The immigration was through different stages, asylum seekers mostly, but then over the last 5-6 years the immigration has skyrocketed to the point that the once hated, but now accepted pakistan and indian communities are complaining about immigration from Europe. Its not just london, all the other boring and normal places all have immigrants, every town and city.

Overall though I think english people are polite, orderly and helpful. We are a spoilt society, with us expecting "rights" to help from the government when we are in need. Our problems whilst devastating to us, never amount to much when compared to living conditiins in the rest of the world.

I had those experiences with things like the "chinky" "paki shop" etc. Though I was never racist it just seemed like that's all you're meant to call them. Like most of the friends I left behind in life I go and see now and again still use terms like that, and at front seem somewhat xenophobic and racist but then you get into a proper conversation and they'll say "I'm not actually racist, if anything the chinese are maths genius's and half the doctors I've ever seen were Pakistani or Indian.. majority of lowlifes are us whites!" It's a strange condition the working class are in. One of them still refers to blacks as niggers but I question him about it or say he's horrid he just laughs about it even though a lot of his very close friends are blacks.. It's really irrational. They hold no actual prejudice but use racist and prejudicial terms.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
16-04-2015, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 05:57 AM by Alex K.)
To relativise my previous relativism a bit: there are certain positive aspects of British (high) culture which I find noticeably different from German culture. Those may be very specific examples which don't necessarily reflect the views of the population at large, and they may be specifically English rather than British, or even typical of the wider Anglosaxon world, but here it goes. I think British high culture is more democratic than German culture in that there is a stronger tradition of sharing achievements of high culture and the sciences with the public, i.e. public education. Occasions like the Proms (and not just the last night), the documentary work of the BBC, the Royal institution Christmas Lectures and the existence of the Simonyi chair in Oxford are just examples of this. The National Gallery, which is free of charge, is another. When Sir Simon Rattle became the chief conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic, he brought with him a strong culture of outreach to the public and to schools. Another thing - debate is much more cherished in the UK than in Germany, debate clubs play a much larger role. In GER, it seems public speakers are commanded to be bad and boring, and any attempt at great rhetoric is suspect (because Goebbels did it?). Listening to political speeches is usually about as interesting as staring at a wall, they are rarely witty, plump, uninspired, without style. Good speaking and succinct, accessible writing is not as valued.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.