What is Existence? - Existence as truth, relative to systems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 04:24 PM
RE: What is Existence? - Existence as truth, relative to systems
This seems apropos.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 04:48 PM
(13-10-2016 04:05 PM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 02:59 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Reality is always surprising us, and I'm skeptical that any mathematical structure exactly corresponds to physical reality. If there is any professional mathematician or physicist who thinks that it does, I'd love to hear about him/her.

I agree, we always seem to be a step (or many, too too many steps) behind.
Max Tegmark is one such astrophysicist/cosmologist that believes that the universe can be described as purely mathematical. I haven't read to extensively into him (I've only watched some of his talks) but he is a physics professor at MIT and he has authored the book "Our Mathematical Universe". That would probably be of great interest.

Thanks! I doubt that I'll ever have the time to read that book (I have a reading list a mile long, and I'm not getting any younger), but it is interesting to know that there is someone out there who thinks that way.
13-10-2016, 08:44 PM
(13-10-2016 04:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This seems apropos.

It actually doesn't seem very apropos to me. If I wanted to read up on the topics, I would have just gone to some direct sources in the first place. I posted here to receive feedback from others and discuss. And I have visited the page before, but it's so packed with philosophical jargon and wrapped in its own language that I hardly found it accessible. I do appreciate the reminder though, and I may try to look more into it again in the future.