What is God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 11:28 AM
What is God?
I had a think the other day, Thursday, and thought to myself...you know, none of these religions actually tell you what their God is. That may seem kind of stupid but then I thought to myself, well, actually Christianity does because in John it says that "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

Whereas Genesis just starts "Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Hey, did I miss something? Like, who are you?

We have a good idea who the Greeks and Romans thought the gods were. They had names, lived up a mountain, they had images made of them. But this guy who "we" in the Western Judeo-Christian world are told is god is only described once and it is in the New Testament and it doesn't seem to jive with the way god operates in the Old Testament.

And here's another thing. Why is it in John, which is last, not first?

What's going on here, eh?

Seriously, we seem to think from back to front and then ignore the obvious, jump to the wrong conclusion and then pull ourselves to pieces because we JUST CAN'T FIGURE THE DAMN THING OUT...MAN!

There is a lack of rigourous analysis, I feel, on this subject, and anachronistic thinking.

Did the people of the Near East in antiquity actually have a notion of the metaphysical? Or did they think that the place god lived was real, accessible somehow and this god thing was a real corporeal being? I think they did.

We have retreated away from that, probably because of advances in mountain climbing techniques. However, what is startling and seems to go unmentioned here is that Christianity does define "god" and defines it as a concept, the word/logos. That is actually quite a starkly dramatic thing when you think about it and what I find somewhat irritating, to be honest, is, first of all, on the one hand, Christians just saying that god could utter a word, or something equally silly, and, secondly, on the other hand, critics of Christian thought not grabbing this ball and running with it, because it is the most profound shift in religious thinking imaginable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
03-05-2016, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2016 01:14 PM by Leo.)
RE: What is God?
(03-05-2016 11:28 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I had a think the other day, Thursday, and thought to myself...you know, none of these religions actually tell you what their God is. That may seem kind of stupid but then I thought to myself, well, actually Christianity does because in John it says that "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

Whereas Genesis just starts "Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

We have a good idea who the Greeks and Romans thought the gods were. They had names, lived up a mountain, they had images made of them. But this guy who "we" in the Western Judeo-Christian world are told is god is only described once and it is in the New Testament and it doesn't seem to jive with the way god operates in the Old Testament.

Seriously, we seem to think from back to front and then ignore the obvious, jump to the wrong conclusion and then pull ourselves to pieces because we JUST CAN'T FIGURE THE DAMN THING OUT...MAN!

There is a lack of rigourous analysis, I feel, on this subject, and anachronistic thinking.

Did the people of the Near East in antiquity actually have a notion of the metaphysical? Or did they think that the place god lived was real, accessible somehow and this god thing was a real corporeal being? I think they did.

We have retreated away from that, probably because of advances in mountain climbing techniques. However, what is startling and seems to go unmentioned here is that Christianity does define "god" and defines it as a concept, the word/logos. That is actually quite a starkly dramatic thing when you think about it and what I find somewhat irritating, to be honest, is, first of all, on the one hand, Christians just saying that god could utter a word, or something equally silly, and, secondly, on the other hand, critics of Christian thought not grabbing this ball and running with it, because it is the most profound shift in religious thinking imaginable.
That's a trick question. Everyone by now should know who is the real God. Seriously , I often ask theists ( what's a god ?) almost all of them can't answer it.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
03-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Theists have a hard time defining their god and their scriptures are contradictory so it's not really worth thinking about until they can come to a consensus since they are the ones who actually believe he is real. Good luck with that since they can't even agree on what kind of foods god wants you to eat and what he feels about a particular day of the week. Even if they all agreed and said he was for sure a spirit being with these specific abilities and limitations that still doesn't prove he is real and they still have the burden of proof on that matter since definition is just a hypothesis in need of research.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
03-05-2016, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2016 04:07 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Horus of course. Weeping dot .. dot .. dot.
Why not just connect your dots, and get it over with ?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...weh?page=7

Genesis does not say "God". It says "Elohim", a plural noun, (first) and then alternates with other names. It's one of reasons scholars know there are multiple sources.
The priests/editors/assemblers knew what deity the Hebrews called to mind, when they invoked his various names. (Not one scholar on the face of the Earth says Horus was one of his names).

Whoever wrote John, was a Greek Gnostic, (which is where the "logos" came from. But then anyone would be crazy to waste time studying this stuff, right ?
http://www.iep.utm.edu/gnostic/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2016, 02:24 PM
(03-05-2016 02:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Horus of course. Weeping dot .. dot .. dot.

Genesis does not say "God". It says "Elohim", a plural noun, (first) and then alternates with other names. It's one of reasons scholars know there are multiple sources.
The priests/editors/assemblers knew what deity the Hebrews called to mind, when they invoked his various names. (Not one scholar on the face of the Earth says Horus was one of his names).

Whoever wrote John, was a Greek Gnostic, (which is what the "logos" . But then anyone would be crazy to waste time studying this stuff,

You seem to know a lot about it. Are you crazy, sir? Consider
03-05-2016, 04:08 PM
(03-05-2016 02:24 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 02:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Horus of course. Weeping dot .. dot .. dot.

Whoever wrote John, was a Greek Gnostic, (which is what the "logos" . But then anyone would be crazy to waste time studying this stuff,

You seem to know a lot about it. Are you crazy, sir? Consider

At least my dog likes me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Dog is good.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
03-05-2016, 04:21 PM
In resume, God or gods are basically a mental projection of our civilisation and culture, more specifically a projection of our leaders, to nature and the cosmos at large. Gods are conception who serve to explain and humanise our environment and make it more relatable and understandable.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Gods are Persons.
Physical bodies of all mortal men are organized in Their(Gods) image - male and female.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
03-05-2016, 04:28 PM
(03-05-2016 01:07 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 11:28 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I had a think the other day, Thursday, and thought to myself...you know, none of these religions actually tell you what their God is. That may seem kind of stupid but then I thought to myself, well, actually Christianity does because in John it says that "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

That's a trick question. Everyone by now should know who is the real God. Seriously , I often ask theists ( what's a god ?) almost all of them can't answer it.
but some can answer. I just did it. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED