What is God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 04:54 PM
RE: What is God?
(03-05-2016 11:28 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I had a think the other day, Thursday, and thought to myself...you know, none of these religions actually tell you what their God is. That may seem kind of stupid but then I thought to myself, well, actually Christianity does because in John it says that "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

Whereas Genesis just starts "Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Hey, did I miss something? Like, who are you?

We have a good idea who the Greeks and Romans thought the gods were. They had names, lived up a mountain, they had images made of them. But this guy who "we" in the Western Judeo-Christian world are told is god is only described once and it is in the New Testament and it doesn't seem to jive with the way god operates in the Old Testament.

And here's another thing. Why is it in John, which is last, not first?

What's going on here, eh?

Seriously, we seem to think from back to front and then ignore the obvious, jump to the wrong conclusion and then pull ourselves to pieces because we JUST CAN'T FIGURE THE DAMN THING OUT...MAN!

There is a lack of rigourous analysis, I feel, on this subject, and anachronistic thinking.

Did the people of the Near East in antiquity actually have a notion of the metaphysical? Or did they think that the place god lived was real, accessible somehow and this god thing was a real corporeal being? I think they did.

We have retreated away from that, probably because of advances in mountain climbing techniques. However, what is startling and seems to go unmentioned here is that Christianity does define "god" and defines it as a concept, the word/logos. That is actually quite a starkly dramatic thing when you think about it and what I find somewhat irritating, to be honest, is, first of all, on the one hand, Christians just saying that god could utter a word, or something equally silly, and, secondly, on the other hand, critics of Christian thought not grabbing this ball and running with it, because it is the most profound shift in religious thinking imaginable.

I'm having trouble grasping your point here. How is John being more clear when he defines god as "the word" vs Genesis which just begins by stating god's actions? Doesn't John create another problem by now needing to define what "the word" is? Maybe it's a problem of translation or of my own personal comprehension of the text, but I don't see the two passages as being vastly different in terms of allowing for a more practical understanding of who/what "god" is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2016, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2016 05:49 PM by Paleophyte.)
It is a damning testament against religion that God and Heaven are so ill-defined whilst the Devil and Hell are described in such lurid detail.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
03-05-2016, 05:41 PM
(03-05-2016 04:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 01:07 PM)Leo Wrote:  That's a trick question. Everyone by now should know who is the real God. Seriously , I often ask theists ( what's a god ?) almost all of them can't answer it.
but some can answer. I just did it. Smile

Anyone could answer the question, I could say "God is Captain Crunch, he wears a blue navy suit and he smiles a lot." Just because I answered the question doesn't make my answer true if I can't prove it. Just because a question CAN be answered doesn't make that answer true.

I've met people who think God is the universe or the Earth, which are two things we know exist so I guess yeah we can re-define God and say it's a life giving planet spirit and that would be just as true as saying God is a man who lives on another planet we can't ever see or visit until we die.

An answer is just a hypothesis, until you prove the claim it's just as valid as saying God is a cartoon cereal mascot or literally anything that can or can't be imagined.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
03-05-2016, 05:44 PM
(03-05-2016 04:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 01:07 PM)Leo Wrote:  That's a trick question. Everyone by now should know who is the real God. Seriously , I often ask theists ( what's a god ?) almost all of them can't answer it.
but some can answer. I just did it. Smile

Yeah. Unfortunately you did. With the drivel Morons Mormons spout.
Prove what you claim, Alla The Ignorant, or get lost.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2016, 05:46 PM
(03-05-2016 04:54 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 11:28 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I had a think the other day, Thursday, and thought to myself...you know, none of these religions actually tell you what their God is. That may seem kind of stupid but then I thought to myself, well, actually Christianity does because in John it says that "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

Whereas Genesis just starts "Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Hey, did I miss something? Like, who are you?

We have a good idea who the Greeks and Romans thought the gods were. They had names, lived up a mountain, they had images made of them. But this guy who "we" in the Western Judeo-Christian world are told is god is only described once and it is in the New Testament and it doesn't seem to jive with the way god operates in the Old Testament.

And here's another thing. Why is it in John, which is last, not first?

What's going on here, eh?

Seriously, we seem to think from back to front and then ignore the obvious, jump to the wrong conclusion and then pull ourselves to pieces because we JUST CAN'T FIGURE THE DAMN THING OUT...MAN!

There is a lack of rigourous analysis, I feel, on this subject, and anachronistic thinking.

Did the people of the Near East in antiquity actually have a notion of the metaphysical? Or did they think that the place god lived was real, accessible somehow and this god thing was a real corporeal being? I think they did.

We have retreated away from that, probably because of advances in mountain climbing techniques. However, what is startling and seems to go unmentioned here is that Christianity does define "god" and defines it as a concept, the word/logos. That is actually quite a starkly dramatic thing when you think about it and what I find somewhat irritating, to be honest, is, first of all, on the one hand, Christians just saying that god could utter a word, or something equally silly, and, secondly, on the other hand, critics of Christian thought not grabbing this ball and running with it, because it is the most profound shift in religious thinking imaginable.

I'm having trouble grasping your point here. How is John being more clear when he defines god as "the word" vs Genesis which just begins by stating god's actions? Doesn't John create another problem by now needing to define what "the word" is? Maybe it's a problem of translation or of my own personal comprehension of the text, but I don't see the two passages as being vastly different in terms of allowing for a more practical understanding of who/what "god" is.

It's always "watch out" when he says he "had a think".
He's gonna connect some dots.
Cuz when you have NO education on the topic, you're free to make up anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-05-2016, 05:51 PM
There is a difference between an answer and a meaningful answer.

God

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
03-05-2016, 05:53 PM
(03-05-2016 04:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  Gods are Persons.
Physical bodies of all mortal men are organized in Their(Gods) image - male and female.

The problems is that you aren't saying much with that definition. But atleast you tried.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
03-05-2016, 05:58 PM
(03-05-2016 05:53 PM)Leo Wrote:  
Physical bodies of all mortal men are organized in Their(Gods) image - male and female.

The problems is that you aren't saying much with that definition. But atleast you tried.

She said dog is a hermaphrodite.

03-05-2016, 06:45 PM
~~~~~~~~
Dog is good.
All the time.
All the time.
Dog is good.
~~~~~~~~
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post
03-05-2016, 08:56 PM

I don't know whether to laugh at you and how deluded you are in regards to these beliefs and "answers" you produce, or genuinely feel sadness that such ignorance exists to allow such delusional.

Your answers are so terrible and misguided you produce the same sympathetic feelings I get when I see a mentally retarded adult who is is dependent upon their parents. I know they likely don't understand the aspects of this world they're going to miss because of their handicap but it still saddens me nonetheless.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post