Don't burn me
No more
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
04-05-2016, 04:56 AM
RE: What is God?
(04-05-2016 02:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So Moses goes, "well, who the fuck are you," and god goes "I am that I am." Which is actually a pretty good answer, but the OP's kinda dumb, so there it is. Tongue

Viral meme, that's what god is; same as it ever was.

Yes, but it is unlikely that a viral meme would spread based on a methaphysical notion of an ethereal god who no one ever saw or had experience of, such as the god which god has become. Only those who have raptures or pretend it explains everything to have a parallel invisible universe inhabited only by one Mangod who makes everything out of nothing would spread that kind of meme and those kind of people were probably not that common back then.

And why did Moses climb a mountain? To reach the sky to speak to god up there where they thought he was.
04-05-2016, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 05:20 AM by Deltabravo.)
And another thing...
04-05-2016, 05:09 AM
(04-05-2016 04:56 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So Moses goes, "well, who the fuck are you," and god goes "I am that I am." Which is actually a pretty good answer, but the OP's kinda dumb, so there it is. Tongue

Viral meme, that's what god is; same as it ever was.

Yes, but it is unlikely that a viral meme would spread based on a methaphysical notion of an ethereal god who no one ever saw or had experience of, such as the god which god has become. Only those who have raptures or pretend it explains everything to have a parallel invisible universe inhabited only by one Mangod who makes everything out of nothing would spread that kind of meme and those kind of people were probably not that common back then.

They seem pretty common now. It's probably a mistake to assume the sophistication of our culture is the greater. Globalization has people "socializing" over their phones in coffee shops, ignoring the presence present.

Then I also have had the experience of "standing before the creator of the universe accepting the title of prophet," so all it would take is a whackjob like me once in a while + time, and here we are.

All things considered, to me, the idea of a god separate from self simply violates the universal trend towards conservation; there's no reason for it exist.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2016, 07:47 AM
The indefinable defined.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-05-2016, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 12:15 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-05-2016 12:26 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Bucky, what I find irritating about you is that, here we are on an atheistic forum, and I am pointing out that Jospephus says that the Jews came to Egypt from Armenia, which is where Sanliurfa is locate in Turkey, near Gobekli Tepe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

Sanliurfa means Saintly Urfa. Abraham is supposed to have come from there. The OT says he came from Ur. The Armenians lived there and the Armenians are one and the same as the Sumerians of Ur, they are Arians.

I came here because I thought this was a place where all this old religious nonsense could be examined and debunked. You, however, never look at anything other than from a culturally Jewish perspective and I seriously don't think you realize you are doing it or the extent to which you are doing it.

And yes, the Jews who arrived in Egypt, according to your own peer reviewed works, were, I say, Armenian worshippers of Horus/Hayek and when they left they relocated with their wealth from their stay in Egyp in Herusalem, which we now spell with a "J" but which is named after their deity. It is a simple and perhaps unfortunate, for Judaism, fact.

Wrong again, presumptuous one. There is no reason to accept Josephus as an historian, any more than we should accept you as one. He recounted the entire FALSE historical line (which has been debunked by archaeology) in the OT as fact. He is unreliable, totally. You can repeat your Armenian nonsense till the cows come home, ... it doesn't make it true and you have no references or support for it. I have already explained that the meaning of the word "Jerusalem" does not mean what you claim, and if you actually knew ANYTHING about Hebrew culture, (of which you are TOTALLY IGNORANT), you would know it means "the peaceful place where Yahweh will be manifested", and it has NOTHING to do with your Horus garbage, and there is not one scholar in the entire world that agrees with your made up nonsense.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cd...usalem.htm
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meani...yoXRk32aM8

You NEVER present any scholarly support for your day dreams, and don't here. I could care less what you find irritating. ANd BTW, the fact that the Gnostic concept of "logos" appears in John, in no way makes the entire NT a "Hellenistic work", and the fact that you would say something THAT totally ignorant, demonstrates your utter and complete lack of knowledge about ANY of these matters.
And worst of all your misrepresentations, is that I take the Jewish view. I absolutely do not. I have said they basically invented their entire history, and the most important person responsible for them was the Persian emperor, who reconstituted their Southern Kingdom, to serve as a barrier between him and the invading Greeks. But instead of actually reading thing I wrote, you would rather make up stuff, and connect imaginary dots.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2016, 09:38 AM
(04-05-2016 12:16 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  ...
The problem I have is, where does this religion center its moral compass?

I'm far from convinced that a superstructure has a moral compass. Code of ethics / doctines etc. but not morality.

Extreme Islam is just that, extreme. The beliefs are the same and they don't clearly and unequivocally say that there is a rational moral principle at the center of it. If you read the Koran and/or listen to the rhetoric coming out of places like Jeddah, you realize that this religion at its core is ritualistic, barbaric etc etc.

Once again, I agree with the latter remark but I'm confused now because I thought we were talking about Muslims not Islam.

Extreme Christians don't behead people. They knock on your door and try to get you to let "Jesus' love into your life". They are diametrically opposed. It may be you can put a gloss on Islam and interpret in a peaceful way but that is very hard if you actually take the time to read the Koran. Also, what is the point?

What's the point of what? Of Islam? Or of reading the Koran?

Islam and Christianity are certainly not diametrically opposed. Christianity was just as troublesome in its youth.

Look at is this way:
Judaism has been around for maybe 4,000 years; Christianity for 2,000; Islam for 1,400.

The Jews are like a 40 year old... settled down, generally sorted out their meta, lots of patience for the grandchildren, secure enough to give a little to chosen charities.

Christians are like a 20 year old... Still the occasional bar-fight but realising that it's time to get a proper job, a mortgage and a steady girlfriend.

Islam is 14... petulant, know-it-all, lots of wanking.

Another 5 years (500) and there'll be a Monty Python Life of Al-Bryan bin Ali.

One German right wing political party just adopted an anti-Islam policy: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36182511 I know it is a right wing party but where would we have got if the intellectuals who opposed the Catholic Church had, instead, taken the view that it was an ok religion and no one should criticize anything it did?

Well indeed. And Christianity was having similar tantrums 500 years ago. 498.5 years to be more precise and Luther was German too.

And we all know how that ended. Not pretty.

No

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
04-05-2016, 10:29 AM
(03-05-2016 04:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  Gods are Persons.
Physical bodies of all mortal men are organized in Their(Gods) image - male and female.

Gods can't be persons.
It negates their "infinite" properties.
A person has a personality, and not a different personality.

If horses had gods, their gods would be horses.
A little deepity for you, right there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2016, 02:37 PM
(04-05-2016 10:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 04:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  Gods are Persons.
Physical bodies of all mortal men are organized in Their(Gods) image - male and female.

Gods can't be persons.
It negates their "infinite" properties.
A person has a personality, and not a different personality.

If horses had gods, their gods would be horses.
A little deepity for you, right there.

I agree with you Bucky.

Mormons believe that they can become Gods. When they die so long as they follow the doctrines they get a Planet that they can be a God of.

God lives on the planet Kolob and dictates over how things should be run.

Alla believes she will be a god. If that is true I fear for her planet.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
04-05-2016, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 03:56 PM by Stevil.)
God is a (projected) source of purpose, a guider of fate and a role model.

Often people, when faced with adversity, such as losing a job, losing a crop, losing a village in a volcano eruption, they don't want to put it down to impersonal chance. They want there to be a reason why they are enduring this moment, they want to think that it is for the best or for some ultimate purpose. They don't want it to be needless. They also want to think that there is something they can do to avoid tragedies e.g. make sacrifices to the gods to keep them happy. Having things out of your control, where what you do doesn't matter is pessimism, having the ability to influence events is optimism. Believing in god enables optimistic wishful thinking.

Regarding a role model, people often imagine what a perfect being would do or would want them to do. Would a perfect being get angry and lash out? Perhaps not, so I'll try and manage my own emotions etc.

But of course, people get pulled into religious organisations that reinforce these beliefs and add much much more. Instil fear and dependance etc. People get confused by the mixed messages or by what is perceived to be god's laws. They then go out and behave "badly" to others while they are on that road of "good" intentions.

It seems many people like the idea of righteousness and embrace this as their crusade, their purpose, their legacy.