What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Bug What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?
I've been hearing decent things about this author and the world in his books, and I've looked up a list of his works. But I want to start from his best/most renowned works. And not just some one off story.

So, if the Dune series is to Frank Herbert, as Lord of the Rings series is to Tolkien, what would be Lovecraft's main pinnacle work?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
RE: What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?
The Call of Cthulhu.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
You can't go wrong with The Call of Cthulhu. I have a Cthulhu plushie watching over my shoulder as I type this...

Also worth mentioning is
The Shadow over Innsmouth
At the Mountains of Madness

I liked both of those just about as much, but I'd still start with The Call of Cthulhu.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
(10-10-2012 01:41 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  The Shadow over Innsmouth
At the Mountains of Madness

I just listened to the audio book of The Call of Cthulu, very entertaining. I like lone journey/detective stories, in journal/diary format, that uncover ancient Satanic societies or monsters. Like Bram Stokers Dracula (or the film The Ninth Gate).

The works mentioned above, are they set in the Cthulu universe?

Also-

Does Lovecraft have a Saga of books that are all in the same Universe? Again, the examples of Lord of the Rings, or Dune.
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I think his most notable works are the Cthulhu mythos stuff, all of which (that I've read anyway) takes place (supposedly) in the real world. No separate setting like LotR (Middle Earth) or Dune (deep space, not Earth), but right here on earth, happening now in the modern world - or at least modern for the time he wrote them.

I don't believe there is a "Cthulhu universe" unless you simply mean "just like real earth but with Cthulhu" in which case, yes, everything I've read by HPL takes place in that "universe". If he wrote other stuff, I haven't encountered it, which doesn't mean he didn't write other stuff - but I know many Lovecraft fans who never talk about other stuff either, so at least to my limited perspective, it's pretty much Cthulhu or nothing.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
13-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Bug RE: What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?
1. Which of his works comprise the Cthulhu mythos? Have the works been collected and arranged (I’d assume chronologically) and given a name for the whole thing?

2. By "Universe" I mean the world that was designed for Cthulhu. Ironman and Batman both take place on Earth, but one is in the Marvel universe, and the other in the DC Universe. So, is there a collection of works that take place in the Cthulhu Universe?

Quote:everything I've read by HPL takes place in that "universe". If he wrote other stuff, I haven't encountered it, which doesn't mean he didn't write other stuff -

I see dozens and dozens of stories written by Lovecraft. So, the real answer I'd like is - is there a list that shows which works definitely take place in the Cthulhu Universe? If I can, I'd like to collect them and read them in chronological order (the time the stories take place, not when they were written).
13-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm sure there are lists that tell you which are in the cthulhu mythos, but once you start talking about that, a lot of sites go into August Derleth and others who turned this into its own genre and basically a lot of it seems like Lovecraft fanfiction.

there have also been several collections which categorize the stories with similar mood or theme, such as all the stories with Randolph Carter in the Dream Cycle collection.

Personally, I can't say anything is his Dune or LoTR simply because he was a short story writer. Pretty much everything is bite sized, and will either appeal to you or not. I always preferred just reading the stories randomly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Wait a minute, are you implying he didn't write LoTR!? ;-D As others have said his most influential work, and most famous is probably the Call of Cthulhu. I read this when I was still in high-school, but I never read anything else of his.

18-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Bug RE: What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?
Ah, I guess that's where I tripped up. I didn't know if he wrote a novella, a multi parter, set in a single Universe. I guess it's all short stories.

I'm not entirely interested in other authors short stories, just Lovecrafts. I still have to find all the ones based in the Cthulhu Universe, and arrange them in 'in Universe chronology'. This is going to be a pain... Might not be worth it >_>
18-10-2012, 02:32 PM
(10-10-2012 09:24 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I like lone journey/detective stories, in journal/diary format, that uncover ancient Satanic societies or monsters. Like Bram Stokers Dracula (or the film The Ninth Gate).

Off topic because it's not Lovecraft, but your comment made me think of a book by Dan Simmons called "Song of Kali". It has the element of uncovering evil that you might enjoy. Mostly takes place in Calcutta, circa 1985.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My