What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 03:18 PM
RE: What is HP Lovecraft's "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings"?
If you're new to Lovecraft, I would recommend that you _don't_ start right off on Cthulhu. He is notoriously overcomplicated, and it might take a few stories before you start to understand his writing style. And I'm coming from a position of reading Middle English for recreation.

To sharpen your chops for Lovecraft, I recommend "The Cats of Ulthar" and "Cool Air". Also, "The Doom that Came to Sarnath" is a great one.

If you're bound and determined to get involved with Cthulhu bang off, then read "The Rats in the Walls" first. That orient you with just how motherfrakking scared you're supposed to be.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
I found a link: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?3073 that appears to list all stories set in the Cthulhu Universe, by year written. That's close enough. I'll start from the bottom and read up in order. I'm not crazy about reading other authors, but I'll give them a try to see how they stack up.
04-12-2012, 11:37 PM
(06-11-2012 06:50 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I found a link: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?3073 that appears to list all stories set in the Cthulhu Universe, by year written. That's close enough. I'll start from the bottom and read up in order. I'm not crazy about reading other authors, but I'll give them a try to see how they stack up.
I have read most of Lovecraft's published works and wrote an essay on him in college. My recommendation is to read one of the collections, like The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre. I am partial to the story The Rates in the Walls - that is if you can look past the cat's name.
05-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Since I've started this thread, I've come to know all of Lovecrafts works. A big inspiration, and pleasure, was finding the HP Lovecraft literary podcast. They go through all of his works, chronologically, and give a summary, critique, etc. Great quality. They even provide links to the full work being discussed.

http://hppodcraft.com/

As for the cat, and a note on racism- These are fictional characters, in fantasy worlds. I find it ludicrous to hold the author up to their fictional creations.

Further note, a tangent on other authors- I loved Ender's Game, great book. I felt saddened though, when I read articles written by the author, as himself, and it turns out he's a bit of a religious nut. This was him expressing his real world views, and it kind of tarnished Enders Game for me.
15-01-2013, 05:02 AM
http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos

Cthulhu doesn't just exist in Lovecraft's work... Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-01-2013, 02:48 PM
(10-10-2012 12:09 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I've been hearing decent things about this author and the world in his books, and I've looked up a list of his works. But I want to start from his best/most renowned works. And not just some one off story.

So, if the Dune series is to Frank Herbert, as Lord of the Rings series is to Tolkien, what would be Lovecraft's main pinnacle work?
Cthulhu was already in the Lord of the Rings. Don't you remember that just octopus like monster outside the mines of moria? That was Cthulhu. And those tentacles were just his beard. He only let them escape because they were damaging his Cthulhu complexion.
15-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Bah!

That was not the mighty Cthulhu. At best it was a Deep One and likely not even that - if those had been anything Lovecraftian, the Fellowship would have been dealing with far more insanity than that puny little ring caused in Boromir.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein