What is "Love" to you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2011, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 11:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: What is "Love" to you?
(08-11-2011 10:27 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  Hmm love is like an extremly good high. When you are high, you feel extremly good, like nothing can stop you, but when you come down from that high it feels like a nightmare.

No, it's nothing like that at all. ... It's nothing at all like that.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-11-2011, 11:09 PM
(11-11-2011 10:01 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I don't think love is a singular feeling or act. It is complex. The chemicals are one part (for example lust). But there is more, like compassion and caring. My love for my baby is not only there because she makes me 'feel good' but because I also care how she feels and what she needs. I suppose the plug could be pulled and is for a few, like in psycho path. They lack the basic emotion love or caring is built on, which is empathy.

Very true- empathy is a very big part of love.
12-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Finding the one person out of all the people you have ever met who you can totally relax around.
Someone you never get tired of or could hold a grudge against.
A friend you can laugh with, play with, have a long conversation with.
An equal who you admire, whom you will back against all odds and who will back you.
Someone you will fight for and who would fight for you.
The one person you can share the darkest fears or fantasies with.
Someone you miss when they are away and that you yearn for when you are away.
The one in your corner when the rest have abandoned you.

I’m lucky, I found my “one” 25 years ago.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
12-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Love is the emotional dynamic of least entropy. That means the more one loves, the less the work done for love seems like work. Consider this jam:

Yeah, that's me and my Gwynnies. Big Grin

Love is also like a river in that many branches lead to the ocean where love is Void. One can love one's dog, one's car, one's music; and it is all a "symptom" of the "condition" that is love. Love is Void is not a statement of absence, rather that the Nothing that exists is full of everything beyond imagination.

"Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-11-2011, 08:09 AM

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists. Wink

What an awesome way of putting it, Cantor! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
12-11-2011, 08:14 AM
(12-11-2011 08:09 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists. Wink

What an awesome way of putting it, Cantor! Smile
You know how us poets do it. Wink

12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Love is the opiate of the masses.
Until the economic elite figures out how to privatize, monopolize, capitalize, outlaw, outsource, or some other way suck it all up for themselves.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
12-11-2011, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 05:01 PM by SecularStudent.)
(08-11-2011 10:27 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  Hmm lust is like an extremly good high. When you are high, you feel extremly good, like nothing can stop you, but when you come down from that high it feels like a nightmare.
Sorry, just had to adjust that a bit Tongue

The difference between lust and love is like the difference between candy and fruit. They're both sweet and tasty, but one is only going to satisfy you for a short time before you have a craving again, while the other is going to nurture you and keep you healthy.

While I haven't been with my partner as long as some of the older folks on this form have been with theirs (I'm still pretty young), I do know what love is. Though I've only been with my partner for 7 years, we've grown together, learned from each other, spent time together and time apart, fought and made up, but through it all we've always loved and respected each other.

I also think that we shouldn't limit our definition of love to romantic love. I love my family, my friends, my puppy, poetry, etc. Each of these loves is different: my mutual love for my best friends is different than my maternal, protective love for my puppy, for example.

Oh, and I also agree with those who say that love is a chemical reaction in the brain... because all our thoughts and emotions are chemical reactions. We are chemical reactions, as houseofcantor put it so eloquently Heart

Edit: I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think that the word "lust" doesn't quite convey what I mean, so wherever I've written that, think "infatuation" instead... That's more of what I had in mind, but I couldn't put my finger on the right term at the time.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 2 users Like SecularStudent's post
13-11-2011, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2011 07:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-11-2011 08:42 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Love is the opiate of the masses.

No, that's not right either. The bulk of the mass will be lucky to even experience it. This perspective is worthy of consideration at least, ... and it's disco!

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-11-2011, 08:37 PM
My Place - what happened today when I "went to check on my Gwynnies."

Man, I tell you whut! Imma gonna go lay down. Tongue