What is Metaphysics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2014, 10:46 AM
What is Metaphysics?
I have read about Metaphysics online countless times and I can't really get the definition and concepts of it. Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: What is Metaphysics?
(13-06-2014 10:46 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  I have read about Metaphysics online countless times and I can't really get the definition and concepts of it. Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

There is no coherent definition to metaphysics as it is by it's very nature Woo.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-06-2014, 11:03 AM
The prefix "meta" means "beyond", according to my old philosophy teacher. So, etymologically, it means "beyond physics". It's basically stuff that can somehow break the laws that rule all of existence. Put simply, it's bullshit.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
13-06-2014, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 03:30 AM by DLJ.)
I think that the real question that we should be asking is...

What isn't...?

Cool

I did a deepity Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-06-2014, 11:07 AM
(13-06-2014 10:46 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  I have read about Metaphysics online countless times and I can't really get the definition and concepts of it. Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

It is one of the fundamental branches of philosophy. It is the study of the nature of the universe as a whole. There is a lot of confusion because it has come to be used to refer to anything supernatural. When used in the context of philosophy it means what is the fundamental nature of existence. Is it objective or subjective. Is knowledge of it possible. Epistemology is the second branch and is the study of the nature and means of obtaining knowledge. It rests on metaphysics. We need to know the nature of existence before we can know the best method to gain knowledge of it.

Christianity has a metaphysics and an epistemology just like any philosophy.

Its metaphysics is: Subjective universe.

Its epistemology is: supernatural revelation and faith. Or in other words a priori knowledge.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
17-06-2014, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2014 03:59 PM by Luminon.)
The best thing I heard of metaphysics is, something that is not yet discovered by physics, but it potentially can be, if we keep researching long enough. Why? Because it is natural.
Metaphysics is about the natural but not yet discovered world. Lots of concepts are metaphysical, because the content of physics is incomplete and changes all the time. Physics can only refer to what we already know. But the world or nature is greater than physics and we need to refer to them somehow. Such references are metaphysical.

Supernatural is an oxymoron, this word makes no sense. Metaphysics is a legitimate discipline about reality. Things are real even before we know about them and have been real since the beginning of the universe, we just somehow didn't get to measuring them or didn't call them the right names or asked the right questions or developed sufficiently sensitive instruments.

Basically, we may presume a priori that the metaphysical reality may have some influence on us, even though scientists don't know yet how exactly. So people speculate that they can somehow in a limited, non-scientific way somehow interact with this reality and achieve some results. It really can be, but such results would necessarily be much weaker and more random than what science does. For example, Buddhism had a lot of research into neurology thousands of years before neurologists started exploring the same area. Some aspects of Buddhist practice were useful in their research, but they got better at it than Buddhists.

Robert Allan Monroe was an audio engineer who experimented with brain wave modulation and consciousness change through sound. One yogi from Tibet or India told him, that he can do with a moment of sound what people train themselves to do naturally for 20 years.
17-06-2014, 06:20 PM
It's just a branch of philosophy concerned with the fundamental nature of existence, and, not unlike epistemology, has become a safe-haven for crackpots and woo peddlers like Deepak Chopra, or apologists who insist the supernatural exists without having to actually provide any evidence of it.

Notice apologists on this board will start hollering "Metaphysical Naturalist!" when they're called out on a presupposition, because the idea that physical events have have physical causes is just too wild and crazy for them to use as a starting point.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
18-06-2014, 01:33 AM
What is the fundamental nature of reality outside the objective experience?

Concerning:
ontology
cosmology
often epistemology

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
18-06-2014, 01:39 AM

It's further gussied-up philosobull; that's what it is. Yes

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-06-2014, 03:23 AM
[Image: It_100a6a_663520.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post