What is Metaphysics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: What is Metaphysics?
Woo woo.

That is all.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 02:33 PM
(17-06-2014 03:54 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 10:46 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  I have read about Metaphysics online countless times and I can't really get the definition and concepts of it. Could anyone shed some light on the subject?
The best thing I heard of metaphysics is, something that is not yet discovered by physics, but it potentially can be, if we keep researching long enough. Why? Because it is natural.
Metaphysics is about the natural but not yet discovered world. Lots of concepts are metaphysical, because the content of physics is incomplete and changes all the time. Physics can only refer to what we already know. But the world or nature is greater than physics and we need to refer to them somehow. Such references are metaphysical.

Supernatural is an oxymoron, this word makes no sense. Metaphysics is a legitimate discipline about reality. Things are real even before we know about them and have been real since the beginning of the universe, we just somehow didn't get to measuring them or didn't call them the right names or asked the right questions or developed sufficiently sensitive instruments.

Basically, we may presume a priori that the metaphysical reality may have some influence on us, even though scientists don't know yet how exactly. So people speculate that they can somehow in a limited, non-scientific way somehow interact with this reality and achieve some results. It really can be, but such results would necessarily be much weaker and more random than what science does. For example, Buddhism had a lot of research into neurology thousands of years before neurologists started exploring the same area. Some aspects of Buddhist practice were useful in their research, but they got better at it than Buddhists.

Robert Allan Monroe was an audio engineer who experimented with brain wave modulation and consciousness change through sound. One yogi from Tibet or India told him, that he can do with a moment of sound what people train themselves to do naturally for 20 years.

My thoughts on the matter (see what I did there) exactly.
07-07-2014, 07:56 AM
It is the study of the nature of existence, when the term is used correctly. The deep questions that can't be adequately answered empirically; for example, how do we know exist, what is the foundation of our knowledge, ect.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
07-07-2014, 01:12 PM
(07-07-2014 07:56 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  It is the study of the nature of existence, when the term is used correctly. The deep questions that can't be adequately answered empirically; for example, how do we know exist, what is the foundation of our knowledge, ect.
I'd say these are two other things.
How do we know we exist? Ontology.
What is the foundation of our knowledge? Gnoseology = epistemology = noetics.

Metaphysics is what we know about the things that we don't know yet, it's like a step below these two. Interesting stuff, I regret there isn't more modern content on the page, when physics is more up to the task today. I'd say String theory or M-theory is literally about metaphysics, because it requires about 7 or 6 extra dimensions beyond 3D + time to work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics
07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Metaphysics is humanity's futile attempt to understand God.

Truth seeker.
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM
(07-07-2014 01:13 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Metaphysics is humanity's futile attempt to understand God.
Like morality, the existence of God is a problem of definition. (hell, anything else is a problem of science and requires millions of dollars and stuff) But it has to be a damn good definition that tells us more than we already know.

I took my stab at metaphysics and I understood the definition of God more than I hoped for. I understood that it is impossible to define God as separate (or fundamentally different) from a human being, a planet, sun, galaxy, or the universe itself. There are actions that all these entities (God included) do and properties they have in common.
I have a claim on the G-word (with respect to the sources that I used, which do almost all the work), because turns out, the religious definitions of God are rubbish. I might claim to come up with the first consistent definition.
07-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Re: What is Metaphysics?
To some metaphysics can be seen as the roots to the ontological study of the physics.

It's as mentioned above what underlies ths knowledge before we actually understand it.

It can pertain questions like, what is being? Not the knowledge of how we know existence, but what actually is the concept of existence.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
(07-07-2014 01:12 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I'd say String theory or M-theory is literally about metaphysics, because it requires about 7 or 6 extra dimensions beyond 3D + time to work.

Dear Sir,

No.

Yours, cordially,
cjlr

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
(18-06-2014 03:23 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  [Image: It_100a6a_663520.jpg]

Meta-Z... FTW! Thumbsup Tongue

07-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Forgive me, I haven't read most of this thread (this is all kind of over my head), but I listened to a rationally speaking podcast recently that seemed to take the subject seriously (though, I admit most of this episode was over my head as well Undecided ). Don't tell me my Massimo is taking woo seriously?

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/2...james.html

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta