What is Rape Culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 07:59 PM
What is Rape Culture?
Maybe it's a really stupid question to ask but maybe somebody can help me understand what "rape culture" is and how it is determined to exist and what determines when it doesn't exist.

I've seen the term thrown around lately a lot especially in blogs from the Huffington Post

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 08:43 PM
RE: What is Rape Culture?
(10-06-2014 07:59 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Maybe it's a really stupid question to ask but maybe somebody can help me understand what "rape culture" is and how it is determined to exist and what determines when it doesn't exist.

I've seen the term thrown around lately a lot especially in blogs from the Huffington Post

It is a description of a culture in which the victim of rape is considered as much or more at fault than the perpetrator. Things like blaming rape on what a person is wearing or whether they were drunk or what club they went to.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 9 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-06-2014, 09:18 PM
(10-06-2014 08:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is a description of a culture in which the victim of rape is considered as much or more at fault than the perpetrator. Things like blaming rape on what a person is wearing or whether they were drunk or what club they went to.

Thanks for answering Rev.

I understand the stupid comments people make, I've even heard some from my wife like that.

It seems to me that if they really were considered with equal or more fault than the perpetrator, the perpetrator then would get a break (since he's sharing fault) from things like his sentence or legal consequences. How is this measurable in a significant manner?

Is it possible when people make comments like she shouldnt have done x, y or z, people are not endorsing or promoting rape but being cautious in regards to the real danger of this happening to anyone?
I mean to say that maybe people are equivocating prescrictive suggestions for prevention with descriptive indications of fault?

Maybe they dont have to be mismatched so we can tell females to be careful as well as ensuring rapists are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Maybe I'm wrong.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
10-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Yes it is possible that individuals are simply saying people should be careful without saying and/or meaning that victims are to be blamed.
No that doesn't have anything to do with rape culture.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
11-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Rev put it pretty succinctly. I think when people talk about rape culture, they are often rapping that within what might be better or more generally described a misogynistic culture. Our attitudes about rape, I feel, fall out from our attitudes about women in general.

If you are interested in the feminist critics of our culture there is literature readily available. When I first was exposed to feminism I had a knee jerk defensive reaction, but when I heard these very articulate and very poignant arguments from these woman (and men) about feminism I had to admit they had a lot of good points. Its an old debate too. Some of the best books about feminism are from the 70s, and they are just as relevant today.
[+] 4 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
11-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Another aspect of it from what I can tell is the use of on-line threats of rapes to intimidate women whenever they say something a young and insecure man or boy vehemently disagrees with. This can lead to a campaign of abuse including revealing the target's home address on-line, lots of personal information being dug up and revealed and often even leading up to death threats.

It's essentially bullying. Bullies will exploit any perceived weakness they can in order to gain power over their target to intimidate them. Bullies are always cowards. There is a lot of talk about rape on-line, like this thread for example. These bullies see it and understand that rape is a bad thing but may not necessarily understand why and certainly don't care. They do know though that women are supposed to be especially vulnerable to it and therefore see it as a weakness they can exploit.

I think this is a symptom of young boys getting access to the internet and getting power beyond their age without the responsibility to balance it. They are learning on-line from a young age that the threat of rape gives them more power in their lives and it is now entering culture. This is creeping into the real world. The problem is that there is still the perception that it's the girl's fault by default and transgressors are not being admonished properly for their actions. For example:

[Image: a_525_20140528200127.jpg]
[+] 17 users Like Mathilda's post
11-06-2014, 01:27 AM
(11-06-2014 01:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
[Image: a_525_20140528200127.jpg]

That girl is bad ass Tongue .
[+] 5 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
11-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Marshal University
Women’s Center

Rape Culture

What is the “Rape Culture?”
[snip]
Rape Culture affects every woman. The rape of one woman is a degradation, terror, and limitation to all women. Most women and girls limit their behavior because of the existence of rape. Most women and girls live in fear of rape. Men, in general, do not. That’s how rape functions as a powerful means by which the whole female population is held in a subordinate position to the whole male population, even though many men don’t rape, and many women are never victims of rape. This cycle of fear is the legacy of Rape Culture.

Examples of Rape Culture:
• Blaming the victim (“She asked for it!”)
• Trivializing sexual assault (“Boys will be boys!”)
• Sexually explicit jokes
• Tolerance of sexual harassment
• Inflating false rape report statistics
• Publicly scrutinizing a victim’s dress, mental state, motives, and history
• Gratuitous gendered violence in movies and television
• Defining “manhood” as dominant and sexually aggressive
• Defining “womanhood” as submissive and sexually passive
• Pressure on men to “score”
• Pressure on women to not appear “cold”
• Assuming only promiscuous women get raped
• Assuming that men don’t get raped or that only “weak” men get raped
• Refusing to take rape accusations seriously
• Teaching women to avoid getting raped instead of teaching men not to rape

This is an excellent explanation of Rape Culture. To view the entire article Google Marshal University Women's Center, Rape Culture.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 12 users Like Dee's post
11-06-2014, 05:35 AM
What exactly does "Gratuitous gendered violence in movies and television" mean? I have an idea, but it seems ridiculous, so I won't assume it's the truth unless stated.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
11-06-2014, 06:20 AM
(11-06-2014 05:35 AM)One Above All Wrote:  What exactly does "Gratuitous gendered violence in movies and television" mean? I have an idea, but it seems ridiculous, so I won't assume it's the truth unless stated.

I'm going to take a stab at this:

I think, gratuitous gendered violence is when gendered violence (male violence against women) is portrayed as a cultural norm. Is it a cultural norm?

I really hate to think of it as a norm as it seems to relay the idea that it's normal therefor ok.

Not exactly sure though.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles