What is Rape Culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: What is Rape Culture?
(01-09-2014 03:07 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  :blink: I can't tell if this is supposed to be a serious argument or not.

It was clearly sarcasm.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Is this an example of rape culture?

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
[+] 1 user Likes spinosauruskin's post
10-09-2014, 10:47 AM
(10-09-2014 10:45 AM)spinosauruskin Wrote:  Is this an example of rape culture?

No but Steubenville is. Tell you what go look that up (it is documented earlier in this thread) and continue your ignorant rants.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
(10-09-2014 10:47 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No but Steubenville is. Tell you what go look that up (it is documented earlier in this thread) and continue your ignorant rants.

CNN's coverage of Steubenville is, I give you, disturbing. It confuses me so much. Was there money involved somewhere? That sounds like the only thing that could get them to say something as horrific as what they said there.
Or maybe there is a rape culture around the media. But considering the major backlash given, I am unsure if it is really pervasive (I am not denying it, just not confident enough to accept, and always willing to change my mind). I don't actually live in the states and so I don't really have first-hand experience.
However, why exactly is the TYT video not rape culture? Please explain. It's also sad that it really wasn't funny. The man in the story, was by all stars, being raped. And they were laughing.

10-09-2014, 07:07 PM
(10-09-2014 10:45 AM)spinosauruskin Wrote:  Is this an example of rape culture?

I like you and all spino, but this video and story are hilarious.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
11-09-2014, 09:35 AM
(10-09-2014 07:07 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I like you and all spino, but this video and story are hilarious.

And swap the sexes? Would you laugh then if a man drugged his wife and coerced her constantly until she had sex? And he got away FREE?

[+] 2 users Like spinosauruskin's post
11-09-2014, 12:56 PM
(11-09-2014 09:35 AM)spinosauruskin Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 07:07 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I like you and all spino, but this video and story are hilarious.

And swap the sexes? Would you laugh then if a man drugged his wife and coerced her constantly until she had sex? And he got away FREE?

OK so I watched the whole thing... He didn't bring criminal charges but I guess he could have - so it's more a case of that she didn't get away free, she was never charged. Also, she never defended herself in the divorce proceedings so we don't quite know the whole story...

In the end though, rape culture (a term which I hadn't come across before reading this thread) seems like it refers specifically to the kind of "oh she's just a slut" dismissiveness which is *pervasive* in society in a context of a man raping a woman.

I guess that for this as well though, there isn't much sympathy for the victim... Witness the reactions of the guys on the show. Which is... bad.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-09-2014, 04:37 PM
(11-09-2014 12:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  OK so I watched the whole thing... He didn't bring criminal charges but I guess he could have - so it's more a case of that she didn't get away free, she was never charged. Also, she never defended herself in the divorce proceedings so we don't quite know the whole story...

In the end though, rape culture (a term which I hadn't come across before reading this thread) seems like it refers specifically to the kind of "oh she's just a slut" dismissiveness which is *pervasive* in society in a context of a man raping a woman.

I guess that for this as well though, there isn't much sympathy for the victim... Witness the reactions of the guys on the show. Which is... bad.

I guess the saddest part was that I kind of found it funny in some detached, "how could he not want it" way. But then I looked back at the video and realised how trivialised male rape is, and even to people who do realise are still affected by their own lack of empathy.
I mean, I won't deny that victim blaming does exist after women and girls are raped, but almost all men who were raped by women have to deal with victim denial.
Now imagine if he fathered a child with that unconsensual sex (and the mother was not convicted). He would be forced to pay alimony and child support. The legal system would be PAYING the woman to RAPE the man, out of the victim's own pocket! Now that is fucked up.

11-09-2014, 09:43 PM
(11-09-2014 04:37 PM)spinosauruskin Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 12:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  OK so I watched the whole thing... He didn't bring criminal charges but I guess he could have - so it's more a case of that she didn't get away free, she was never charged. Also, she never defended herself in the divorce proceedings so we don't quite know the whole story...

I guess the saddest part was that I kind of found it funny in some detached, "how could he not want it" way. But then I looked back at the video and realised how trivialised male rape is, and even to people who do realise are still affected by their own lack of empathy.
I mean, I won't deny that victim blaming does exist after women and girls are raped, but almost all men who were raped by women have to deal with victim denial.
Now imagine if he fathered a child with that unconsensual sex (and the mother was not convicted). He would be forced to pay alimony and child support. The legal system would be PAYING the woman to RAPE the man, out of the victim's own pocket! Now that is fucked up.

OK, but females getting raped by males and subsequent victim blaming is still a huge problem... it's not like we can ignore it just 'cos of the same retarded shit goes on when a guy does get raped, which incidentally I'm ready to bet doesn't happen that often. Right now I'm too lazy to check Wikipedia. Fathered child etc is hypothetical - would take an actual court case to test what would happen, I highly doubt that if rape was proven he'd be forced to pay child support.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Hypothetical?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermesmann_v._Seyer