What is Rape Culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2014, 06:33 AM
RE: What is Rape Culture?
(11-06-2014 06:20 AM)Dee Wrote:  I think, gratuitous gendered violence is when gendered violence (male violence against women) is portrayed as a cultural norm.

If it's a period movie, or if it's set in a theocracy, it's just being realistic. Realism is important in movies. Besides, I've never seen or heard about a movie where something we now consider bad was portrayed as a cultural norm as if it were a good thing.

(11-06-2014 06:20 AM)Dee Wrote:  Is it a cultural norm?

In some places, yes. In the civilized world, however, violence against women is not a norm, although it is sometimes overlooked. Violence against men, on the other hand, is almost always (the "almost" might not even be necessary) ignored. Yes, it's a minority. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
11-06-2014, 08:12 AM
(10-06-2014 07:59 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Maybe it's a really stupid question to ask but maybe somebody can help me understand what "rape culture" is and how it is determined to exist and what determines when it doesn't exist.

I've seen the term thrown around lately a lot especially in blogs from the Huffington Post

Rape culture is something made up by feminists. They invented it because they believe that men and women are equal and that men are rapists but women' aren't. They also made up the patriarchy, because they believe that men and women are equal, but somehow, for some reason, one day men decided to oppress women.
11-06-2014, 08:16 AM
(11-06-2014 08:12 AM)Kavos Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 07:59 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Maybe it's a really stupid question to ask but maybe somebody can help me understand what "rape culture" is and how it is determined to exist and what determines when it doesn't exist.

I've seen the term thrown around lately a lot especially in blogs from the Huffington Post

Rape culture is something made up by feminists. They invented it because they believe that men and women are equal and that men are rapists but women' aren't. They also made up the patriarchy, because they believe that men and women are equal, but somehow, for some reason, one day men decided to oppress women.

What a sad pathetic little boy you are.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-06-2014, 08:19 AM
(11-06-2014 08:16 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 08:12 AM)Kavos Wrote:  Rape culture is something made up by feminists. They invented it because they believe that men and women are equal and that men are rapists but women' aren't. They also made up the patriarchy, because they believe that men and women are equal, but somehow, for some reason, one day men decided to oppress women.

I agree.

Thank you.
11-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Isn't it against the forum rules to intentionally misquote, or even make up entire quotes, by another person?

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
11-06-2014, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 09:06 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(11-06-2014 08:19 AM)Kavos Wrote:  I'm a troll with no interest in two-way dialogue.

Glad to see you're being honest.

(11-06-2014 09:01 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Isn't it against the forum rules to intentionally misquote, or even make up entire quotes, by another person?

No, he isn't breaking any rules, he's just being a cunt.

Although I could see a possible Rule 5 violation in the making if he continues such behavior. What he did in the last post is a rather transparent broadcasting of his intentions. It was an action that displayed his lack of motivation to engage in intellectually honest debate, and would rather just fish for reactions.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Societis in which the victims of rape are blamed for the crimes that they were a victim of.

Places like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Quatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Sudan and so on.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
11-06-2014, 09:49 AM
(11-06-2014 09:04 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Societis in which the victims of rape are blamed for the crimes that they were a victim of.

Places like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Quatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Sudan and so on.

There are degrees of course this is not a black and white issue but a sliding scale. Western Society is by far the most egalitarian but even then it is not perfect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenvill..._rape_case That is a good example of rape culture in the west. In Islamic countries rape is used as a punishment and the victims are often killed, by their own families in most cases, for "bringing dishonor" upon their name. Eastern countries still have more rigid social and professional hierarchies but that is changing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-06-2014, 09:55 AM
(11-06-2014 09:49 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 09:04 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Societis in which the victims of rape are blamed for the crimes that they were a victim of.

There are degrees of course this is not a black and white issue but a sliding scale. Western Society is by far the most egalitarian but even then it is not perfect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenvill..._rape_case That is a good example of rape culture in the west. In Islamic countries rape is used as a punishment and the victims are often killed, by their own families in most cases, for "bringing dishonor" upon their name. Eastern countries still have more rigid social and professional hierarchies but that is changing.

The Steubenville case is a good example of rape culture. A girl gets sexually assaulted and multiple news agencies cover it as the rapists having their lives ruined by the case.
[+] 3 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
11-06-2014, 09:57 AM
(11-06-2014 09:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 08:19 AM)Kavos Wrote:  I'm a troll with no interest in two-way dialogue.

Glad to see you're being honest.

(11-06-2014 09:01 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Isn't it against the forum rules to intentionally misquote, or even make up entire quotes, by another person?

No, he isn't breaking any rules, he's just being a cunt.

Although I could see a possible Rule 5 violation in the making if he continues such behavior. What he did in the last post is a rather transparent broadcasting of his intentions. It was an action that displayed his lack of motivation to engage in intellectually honest debate, and would rather just fish for reactions.

Tongue