Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2014, 08:45 AM
RE: What is Rape Culture?
This just in...

Man Knocked Unconscious After Defending Women From Catcallers: Police

from NBC Philadelphia

[QUOTE]
A man who police say tried to defend a group of women from catcallers landed in the hospital after he was brutally assaulted in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square early Saturday morning.

Police say the 39-year-old man who was visiting from Texas was walking along 18th and Walnut Streets around 2:45 a.m. when he observed several men inside a Black Nissan pull up next to a group of women.

The men inside the Nissan began taunting and catcalling the women, according to investigators, prompting the victim to get involved.
[END QUOTE]

Link...

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-...z3AFK3SZ5U

No comment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Rape culture is a lot of bullshit. The only person who is responsible for rape is the rapist. Culture doesn't come into it.

But this isn't to say that people should not take steps to keep safe when they feel they are at risk. Telling a woman that she should lock her car doors when driving through an area known for its high rape rates isn't victim blaming, it is looking out for them.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
13-08-2014, 10:30 AM
rape culture is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. rapists are despised even in prison and even amongst the most ruthless gang members there is often times a consensus against rape as being a dishonorable crime. and rightfully so. rape is the most cowardly and despicable act. this is not a rape culture.
[+] 2 users Like Wicked Clown's post
13-08-2014, 04:13 PM
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Rape culture is a lot of bullshit. The only person who is responsible for rape is the rapist. Culture doesn't come into it.

But this isn't to say that people should not take steps to keep safe when they feel they are at risk. Telling a woman that she should lock her car doors when driving through an area known for its high rape rates isn't victim blaming, it is looking out for them.

Rape culture is real. Read up on it.

(13-08-2014 10:30 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  rape culture is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. rapists are despised even in prison and even amongst the most ruthless gang members there is often times a consensus against rape as being a dishonorable crime. and rightfully so. rape is the most cowardly and despicable act. this is not a rape culture.

I think this posts demonstrates a gross misunderstanding of what "rape culture" is.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/03/exam...e-culture/ Wrote:Perhaps some people truly don’t understand what rape culture is.

After all, if you’re hearing the phrase for the first time, it can be really confusing.

We understand the word “culture,” from a sociological or anthropological viewpoint, to be things that people commonly engage in together as a society (ranging from the arts to education to table manners), and we find it difficult to link the word “rape” in with that concept.

We know that at its core, our society is not something that outwardly promotes rape, as the phrase could imply. That is, we don’t, after all, “commonly engage” in sexual violence “together as a society.”

To understand rape culture better, first we need to understand that it’s not necessarily a society or group of people that outwardly promotes rape (although it could be).

When we talk about rape culture, we’re discussing something more implicit than that. We’re talking about cultural practices (that, yes, we commonly engage in together as a society) that excuse or otherwise tolerate sexual violence.

More at the link. Please - click, read, discuss.
[+] 5 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
13-08-2014, 05:59 PM
What is Rape Culture?
My understanding (correct if wrong, please) is that a large part of Rape Culture is about enablement. Men enabling each other through inaction, condonement, fostering ideas about "manliness", etc.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
13-08-2014, 06:20 PM
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Rape culture is a lot of bullshit.

(13-08-2014 10:30 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  rape culture is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Would it be possible for either of you to display a greater degree of stupidity?

No need to reply. I already know the answer.
13-08-2014, 06:24 PM
What is Rape Culture?
(13-08-2014 06:20 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Rape culture is a lot of bullshit.

(13-08-2014 10:30 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  rape culture is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Would it be possible for either of you to display a greater degree of stupidity?

No need to reply. I already know the answer.

These seem like examples of enablement.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
13-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Our world is flooded with rape culture. Even beginning with a society who still labels a "certain type of woman" as easy. Calling a woman easy is derogatory, which makes her into an object to be labelled, and less of a person than the men she sleeps with and hangs out with.

People (Women, certain races, etc.) who are considered to be lower than other people are easier to target and bully. A woman who is raped, even when there is enough evidence to prove it was rape, will still be thought of as dirty by a certain type of person because she is not much more than an object in their eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
14-08-2014, 02:51 AM
What is Rape Culture?
(13-08-2014 10:27 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Our world is flooded with rape culture. Even beginning with a society who still labels a "certain type of woman" as easy. Calling a woman easy is derogatory, which makes her into an object to be labelled, and less of a person than the men she sleeps with and hangs out with.

People (Women, certain races, etc.) who are considered to be lower than other people are easier to target and bully. A woman who is raped, even when there is enough evidence to prove it was rape, will still be thought of as dirty by a certain type of person because she is not much more than an object in their eyes.

I'm going to step on some toes weighing in on this.

White, Cisgendered male. Irish-Italian, Dutch and and French, with some Native American for flavor. Judge me; still got writ up as "Hispanic" the only time I was lawfully detained by law enforcement in my 30's.

The whole idea of a "certain type of woman" is bullshit. I remember being 16-17, and turning my back on an incredibly cute 5"4 redhead in her dorm room, because I thought it was the gentlemanly thing to do; because she was trying on a dress, and told me she wanted to know if it looked good on
her, despite her College-Star Sports Team Boyfriend cheating on her with a cheerleader, or whatever.

Fact is: This "Certain type of woman" thing is bogus. I, and other Male pervs can tell you for a fact that ballet classes are among the most heterosexual endeavors you can pursue in college; Assuming of course you want to change clothes in the same room as women wearing fishnet tights over a thong.

Fast forward years later; and I could probably describe with great accuracy said pussies to a forensic sketch artist.

And yet, said women were individuals. I saw more of a 23-year-old woman than when I was 16-17 then when I was 23.

Flash forward 17 years later; and the love of my life is a pale, freckled redhead with DD tits I grope every night before I go to sleep. She has been labeled as "easy" for warning to believe a man could see beyond her Mad Men, Christina Hendricks appearance before.

She's a pretty face with a rockin' bod who has been told there was something wrong with her for having big tits and "being cute in spite of it."

I was lucky; as a man culturally conditioned to see women as objects to meet her on an off night, with next to no makeup, wearing a baggy sweater.

Because otherwise, I never would have approached her.

So, yeah. Keep thinking all men are carnal pigs, and part of the rape culture.

When some of us just got lucky.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
14-08-2014, 03:32 AM
Rampant, I didn't read Flowergurl's post as pertaining to people like you but rather the same 'type of person' that labelled you as Hispanic. In other words people who judge others by the visually closest stereotype, who don't question their own conditioning or who get to know people as individuals.

The recent spate of threads about feminism on this forum has shown that there are plenty of men who do believe in social equality and who are well aware of the problems society faces. So I don't think any woman here is saying otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post