What is Science if words have no meaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 10:47 PM
What is Science if words have no meaning?
Since words are meaningless tags and science is biased human perception, what is science but false?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2013, 10:51 PM
RE: What is Science if words have no meaning?
Since your arguement is comprised of 'meaningless words' what is it but false?

Also science is less words, more math.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like ridethespiral's post
14-11-2013, 11:04 PM
(14-11-2013 10:47 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Since words are meaningless tags and science is biased human perception, what is science but false?

Word salad.

I suggest you stop using words. You are meaningless.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 11:04 PM
(14-11-2013 10:51 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Since your arguement is comprised of 'meaningless words' what is it but false?

Also science is less words, more math.

Words are meaningless tags that we give meaning to. If I called you a 'Niggerfaggot', you would probably take offense. I have no way of knowing what you are ethnically or sexually, so my group of syllables is meaningless. But you ascribe meaning the same way we ascribe meaning to any word, and so all scientific methods are false.
14-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Science is a collection of symbols arranged and provided with meaning conventionally to represent what happens in reality. It isn't reality itself, but that doesn't make it false, as falsehood is the characteristic of a statement that doesn't comply with the rules we conventional accept, usually based on shared experiences. As long as the scientific statement comply with those rules, it isn't false.
The statements and the rules vary with time as our collective experiences increase in complexity and detail, making previous statements false or limited in their scope of truthfulness, we call that (conventionally) the scientific method, but if you want to call it niggerfaggot, the go ahead, but beware, language is not arbitrary, is constructed dynamically, so you may find yourself missunderstood if you ascribe unconventional meanings to conventional or unconventional symbols.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
14-11-2013, 11:36 PM
(14-11-2013 10:47 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Since words are meaningless tags and science is biased human perception, what is science but false?

I'd agree with another poster that this is just word salad, but you make two points.

1. You claim words are meaningless tags. That can't possibly be true--words may simply be tags, but we assign meaning to them. Words are tools that allow us to communicate concepts succinctly.

2. You claim science is biased by human perception. Although humans are prone to look for self confirming evidence, science is specifically designed to overcome this bias. The best scientific evidence uses instruments that do not rely on human perception or judgement to make measurements, and that evidence is not considered reliable unless and until the same results are independently reached by other scientists. Moreover, scientific prestige and pride is maximized when one scientist disproves an idea proposed by another scientist. So human biases actually work towards throwing out bad ideas. Much of modern Physics is beyond human intuition, making it highly unlikely these modern areas of science would have developed if science relied on human biases.
14-11-2013, 11:40 PM
(14-11-2013 11:36 PM)BryanS Wrote:  

I'd agree with another poster that this is just word salad, but you make two points.

1. You claim words are meaningless tags. That can't possibly be true--words may simply be tags, but we assign meaning to them. Words are tools that allow us to communicate concepts succinctly.

2. You claim science is biased by human perception. Although humans are prone to look for self confirming evidence, science is specifically designed to overcome this bias. The best scientific evidence uses instruments that do not rely on human perception or judgement to make measurements, and that evidence is not considered reliable unless and until the same results are independently reached by other scientists. Moreover, scientific prestige and pride is maximized when one scientist disproves an idea proposed by another scientist. So human biases actually work towards throwing out bad ideas. Much of modern Physics is beyond human intuition, making it highly unlikely these modern areas of science would have developed if science relied on human biases.

Try as me may, we cannot overcome the anthropological bias we have hardwired in our system to win, win, win. Same reason racism will never go away. So, no, I don't think that reaffirmation by others of the same bias makes it any more true.
14-11-2013, 11:46 PM
(14-11-2013 11:40 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 11:36 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I'd agree with another poster that this is just word salad, but you make two points.

Try as me may, we cannot overcome the anthropological bias we have hardwired in our system to win, win, win. Same reason racism will never go away. So, no, I don't think that reaffirmation by others of the same bias makes it any more true.

If you're looking for absolute, undoubted and complete truth, you'll die sad and unfulfilled. But if you spend you life searching for just a glimpse of truth, without hope of knowing it all, then you have a chance of success...

Anything else is filler in the quest for knowledge Smartass

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-11-2013, 11:53 PM
(14-11-2013 11:40 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Try as me may, we cannot overcome the anthropological bias we have hardwired in our system to win, win, win.

Agreed.

Quote:Same reason racism will never go away. So, no, I don't think that reaffirmation by others of the same bias makes it any more true.

You don't address my point about how that hardwired need to 'win, win, win' is a check against bias. A scientist wins--professionally, financially, prestigiously--by proving someone wrong. Scientists who perform follow on experiments are hoping to disprove the findings of the first study. Nobody pays attention to you as a scientist if you only say "ohh, yeah, I found that too".
15-11-2013, 12:09 AM
(14-11-2013 11:40 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  .

The whole structure of peer reviewed science is to eliminate Bias. Science Ergo is Unbiast.

The winwinwin issue that has a little credit, actually helps keep Science unbiast, as everyone is out to falsify each others data.

If 100 scientists, think their idea is correct. Then the one left standing after they each prove each other wrong is most likely correct.

Rasicsm is going away, may never completely, go but in Australian its gone from 80% to 5% in the last 30 years iMHO.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".