What is Science if words have no meaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 06:31 PM
RE: What is Science if words have no meaning?
(16-11-2013 06:21 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 02:16 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Oh I see what you mean, but we'll never have that, the fundamental limit of science is our own ability to perceive the world and to communicate with each other. So you'll never have an external "non-human" point of reference, even if such thing existed.
You'll also need to read more about epistemology, you have a rather linear way of understanding knowledge and that will lead you inevitably to the Münchhausen trilemma . I recommend you read the classics and then move on to newer gnoseology philosophers, I like Edgar Morin and his Complexity Epistemology.

Sorry I can't explain all those things here, they're kind of complicated and require more than just your average internet attention span Tongue

I didn't read the article because it was too long, but I have the gist, so to speak.

Words still have no meaning, though.

Of course not, as I said, words are just conventions we formulate to be able to communicate with one another. If words had meaning by themselves, then magic would exist

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
16-11-2013, 06:38 PM
(16-11-2013 06:06 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Numbers are symbols used to represent quantities, numerology is the use of those numbers to solve equations. I find numerology an unreliable math, as numbers have no meaning.

Uh huh.
Well, I find numerology unreliable too. In fact...

numerology |ˌn(y)oōməˈräləjē|
noun
the branch of knowledge that deals with the occult significance of numbers.

DERIVATIVES
numerological |-rəˈläjikəl| adjective
numerologist |-jist| noun
ORIGIN early 20th cent.: from Latin numerus ‘a number’ + -logy .

Perhaps words have no meaning for you because you have been using them erroneously. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
16-11-2013, 06:42 PM
(16-11-2013 06:06 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 09:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  What does that even mean? "non numerological"?

We have a good scientific method, Hafnof just clearly explained it.

Apparently Chas has not passed Kindergarten.

Numbers are symbols used to represent quantities, numerology is the use of those numbers to solve equations. I find numerology an unreliable math, as numbers have no meaning.

No, numerology is using numbers to represent mystic or divine ideas - it has nothing to do with mathematics or science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2013, 07:11 PM
What is anything if words have no meaning? Why focus on the implications this would have only on science?

And words have no intrinsic meaning, but they certainly have meaning that we ascribe to them. We ascribe words meaning for good reasons. How would you like to operate in a world where there was no language and exchange of ideas was impossible?

[Image: giphy.gif]
16-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Since words do have meaning, there's no problem.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2013, 07:57 PM
(14-11-2013 10:47 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Since words are meaningless tags and science is biased human perception, what is science but false?

Beg the question much?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
16-11-2013, 08:06 PM
(14-11-2013 11:04 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 10:51 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Since your arguement is comprised of 'meaningless words' what is it but false?

Also science is less words, more math.

Words are meaningless tags that we give meaning to. If I called you a 'Niggerfaggot', you would probably take offense. I have no way of knowing what you are ethnically or sexually, so my group of syllables is meaningless. But you ascribe meaning the same way we ascribe meaning to any word, and so all scientific methods are false.

Here, let's test your theory. Go visit Mike Tyson and call him "Niggerfaggot", and see just how meaningless the group of sylables is. K?

If you don't accept my challenge, then you really have no business saying anything more.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 7 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post