What is Sensible Drinking.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
What is Sensible Drinking.
Until my late thirties, despite some horrendous hangovers, I was quite a heavy drinker.
In those days regular blood testing was not the norm and I hate to think what my liver function tests would have shown in the 70s.

Today many of us take alcohol much more seriously and often have annual blood tests, particularly the elderly.
These days , after scanning the web, I found a Scandinavian drink study the most generous, advocating a maximum daily intake of five standard drinks. So today its four or five white wines every evening which for years has kept my alcohol component liver test reading just a shade over the allowed maximum, which I think is pretty good really.

The recommendations in Australia are 2std drinks daily for women and four for men with two rest days a week.
I choose not to have days of abstinence.........at 70 the day I abstain could be the very day I cark it.
Here the maximum B.A.C reading for drivers is .05 with a woman recently reading over .30.

Balance and moderation in all good things, hey Cool ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: What is Sensible Drinking.
I couldn't tell you.

The most sensible drinking I've ever done was the not drinking I do now.
I used to drink like a fish. Not an alcoholic, but I everyone drank, it was the thing. I hated it even then, but it was the only thing we could think of to do, other than fight and do drugs.

Now I don't drink pretty much ever, except for the occasional beer once a year or so. I like it better. Alcohol tastes gross.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
A topic near and dear to me.

(06-04-2012 05:31 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  These days , after scanning the web, I found a Scandinavian drink study the most generous, advocating a maximum daily intake of five standard drinks. So today its four or five white wines every evening which for years has kept my alcohol component liver test reading just a shade over the allowed maximum, which I think is pretty good really.

I do 3-4 times that dose regularly, get labs quarterly 'cause of the prediabetes and my liver enzymes have always been lower-middle range. But I got me a hepatoprotective liver stack which I credit for that. Wink

(06-04-2012 05:31 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Balance and moderation in all good things, hey Cool ?

Depends. You wanna be a tourist or you wanna be a trailblazer?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-04-2012, 04:51 AM
I have one or two when I go out for dinner and that's not very often any more. It's for the best as I tend to get pancreatitis which isn't very nice.
I kinda like da smoke da weed Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
07-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Sensible drinking to me is a 15 yr single malt highland.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
10-04-2012, 12:22 AM
About 10 years ago I decided not to drink anymore and have not looked back. I doubt 5 drinks a day could be considered healthy by any measure. Drinking everyday period is not a healthy lifestyle choice imo.
10-04-2012, 05:19 AM
I find I just don't enjoy it that much any more - mind you it depends who I'm with and what I'm doing. After a hard day of physical labour there's no sweeter sound than a beer bottle opening.
10-04-2012, 05:34 AM
In my teenage and later years I used to drink. Heavy. Almost everyday. Then I started smoking more and drink less. Now I smoke everyday, not so much, trying to keep it at minimum level, but I drink almost never. If I do go out and start drinking, I drink as long as I have money, or the power to stay awake.

My idea is that you drink/smoke too much if you can not maintain your professional and personal life, without chemicals interfering. Can that make you an alcoholic? Sure, so the rest of the diagnose is up to any person individually. 2-3 bears a day should not be considered "drinking", although it qualifies you as an alcoholic in every AA brochure.

Most people who turn 100+ years say they drink 1-2 strong drinks every day. Small dosages of hard liquor is good for your heart, as confirmed by any doctor you like. If they say otherwise, they lie, the lying bastards...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
However much you enjoy.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like w0rmwood's post
14-04-2012, 10:47 AM
In Britain the recommended limit for men is 3-4 units, which is about 1 pint of good beer or cider. Or 3 shots of Vodka.

Personally I just drink however much it takes to start wobbling every evening. :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post