What is Sensible Drinking.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: What is Sensible Drinking.
(14-04-2012 02:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm trying to figure out *what* to drink. I think I'm allergic to something in the production process of whiskey, but not sure ?? I get really hung over from it.

Congeners are at least in part responsible for the hangover. Not many congeners in 7x distilled vodka. Wink

(14-04-2012 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 02:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm trying to figure out *what* to drink. I think I'm allergic to something in the production process of whiskey, but not sure ?? I get really hung over from it. Anybody know what grains are used ? Rum seems ok, and I really like Kahlua, and the coffee drinks. Is whiskey in Irish coffee, (I guess so..) there goes the whiskey theory. Never tried Brandy .. I s'pose I should try some different stuff.

Try clear liquors.

Yup.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Is this a trick question?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2012, 07:53 PM
(14-04-2012 07:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is this a trick question?

Agree. It's really hard on your liver, converting all that alchohol to esters. Bad, bad, bad. Jeebus doesn't like drinking, card playiing, or dancing. Tongue

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
14-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Alcohol was never my drug of choice but I did drink in my twenties and most of my thirties. Then I took a close look at the family tree and all the alcoholics there and all the trouble that it had caused. I quit and don't miss it. Probably been close onto 15 years since I even had a sip. It still isn't my drug of choice. Cleaned up the office upstairs today and found some meds from my surgeries that I guess I forgot I had...so...
Clap

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Alcohol has been less attractive for me since Jeebus let me start smoking Pot. But in lieu pot, it's about what can I get from wine, beer, and anti-anxiety meds!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-04-2012, 08:36 PM
(14-04-2012 02:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm trying to figure out *what* to drink. I think I'm allergic to something in the production process of whiskey, but not sure ?? I get really hung over from it. Anybody know what grains are used ? Rum seems ok, and I really like Kahlua, and the coffee drinks. Is whiskey in Irish coffee, (I guess so..) there goes the whiskey theory. Never tried Brandy .. I s'pose I should try some different stuff.
What kind of whiskey are you drinking? I haven't found an American whiskey that doesn't make me hung over... but the good Irish stuff is good for no hang overs if you drink moderately.

Not an expert though...
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
14-04-2012, 08:45 PM
(14-04-2012 08:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  
What kind of whiskey are you drinking? I haven't found an American whiskey that doesn't make me hung over... but the good Irish stuff is good for no hang overs if you drink moderately.

Not an expert though...
Good point, Kineo.
If you're trying Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, or Wild Turkey, you're going to not only have to acquire a taste, but they're harsher on the palate, and the hangover as far as I'm concerned.

My favorite single malt scotch is 15 year old The Glenlivet. She's never steered me wrong.

You could try something like Laphroaig. Not my favorite. It has a heavy smoky, sea taste. I can't take too much.

Most accessible to you would be Johnny Walker Black, (blended scotch). Green Label isn't bad...blends 4 malts from different parts of Scotland. If you can shell out the bucks, or at least buy one drink at a nice restaurant, try Johnny Walker Blue Label. There isn't much better. Nom

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 08:58 PM
(14-04-2012 08:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 08:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  What kind of whiskey are you drinking? I haven't found an American whiskey that doesn't make me hung over... but the good Irish stuff is good for no hang overs if you drink moderately.

Not an expert though...
Good point, Kineo.
If you're trying Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, or Wild Turkey, you're going to not only have to acquire a taste, but they're harsher on the palate, and the hangover as far as I'm concerned.

My favorite single malt scotch is 15 year old The Glenlivet. She's never steered me wrong.

You could try something like Laphroaig. Not my favorite. It has a heavy smoky, sea taste. I can't take too much.

Most accessible to you would be Johnny Walker Black, (blended scotch). Green Label isn't bad...blends 4 malts from different parts of Scotland. If you can shell out the bucks, or at least buy one drink at a nice restaurant, try Johnny Walker Blue Label. There isn't much better. Nom

I think the most accessible good whiskey is Jameson. Really nice smooth whiskey- tasty and easy goin'. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
15-04-2012, 09:31 PM
(06-04-2012 05:31 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Until my late thirties, despite some horrendous hangovers, I was quite a heavy drinker.
In those days regular blood testing was not the norm and I hate to think what my liver function tests would have shown in the 70s.

Today many of us take alcohol much more seriously and often have annual blood tests, particularly the elderly.
These days , after scanning the web, I found a Scandinavian drink study the most generous, advocating a maximum daily intake of five standard drinks. So today its four or five white wines every evening which for years has kept my alcohol component liver test reading just a shade over the allowed maximum, which I think is pretty good really.

The recommendations in Australia are 2std drinks daily for women and four for men with two rest days a week.
I choose not to have days of abstinence.........at 70 the day I abstain could be the very day I cark it.
Here the maximum B.A.C reading for drivers is .05 with a woman recently reading over .30.

Balance and moderation in all good things, hey Cool ?
So you are an alcoholic still...that explains a lot.
19-04-2012, 10:11 PM
From today 20/4/12 Woof is on the water waqon after 55 years of drinking,including time in de/tox.(not all extreme!) Ohmy

I figured sobriety for the rest of my life would be a novel change; plus, depite reasonable L.F.TS, I think my liver is, is getting stuffed and well overdue for a rest.

Spent obver $ 100 on liver remedies..........well, here I go into that weird and wonderful world of sobriety. Drinking Beverage Huh Drooling Thanks for the input guys.