What is Spirit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: What is Spirit?
I love this quote generator: It goes on infinitely.

Quote:The physical world imparts reality to ephemeral love
and ephemeral love imparts reality to the physical world

Quote:Information is the ground of boundless external reality
and external reality is the boundless ground of information

Quote:Culture transforms progressive expansion of abstract beauty
and abstract beauty is progressive transformation of culture

Quote:
Quote:The universe is beyond subjective reality
and subjective reality is beyond the universe

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 03:04 PM
(21-01-2014 02:31 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 11:24 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Please explain those "rules" to me. Is there a particular pagan doctrine you follow? A path you follow? Cause I am unfamiliar with "rules" once you step outside of main-stream religions.

Huh
Mostly the works of Alice Bailey plus a bit of earlier Theosophical literature and also some more modern that directly refers to Bailey.

As for rules, there are many of them - the usual law of action and reaction, rebirth, progress, sacrifice and so on. But in one Treatise Bailey describes 15 rules of the "old commentary" and in another she comments on more than 40 rules of Patanjali's Yoga Sutra. Most of the rules are in a symbolical language that has multiple meanings, so there's a plenty to explain in text and to derive intuitively as exercise, thereby training intuition. Basically, these are the principles of philosophy of development of consciousness, processes that people go through (often naturally) if they want to be better people.
Btw, there's a surprisingly high emphasis on intellect, rationality, facts, critical thinking and responsibility for knowledge. Lots of respect to science too - and lots of apologies for not being able to follow it in the book Smile

By the way, something of how all the others behave reminds me of The Big Bang Theory serial, the part when Sheldon Cooper (an autistic person rigidly insisting on rules) had to disregard one rule of his (pizza evening on Friday I think). This threw him completely out of mental balance and he just acted as if there were no social rules in the world whatsoever. (did crazy and silly stuff, etc)
I think there may be more people like this on the board and I just violated one very dear rule of theirs - we don't talk calmly, politely and intelligently to apparently crazy people (me). If we do that, there are no rules and we can start posting bullshit and acting like fucking retards.

Well you got two different things going on there:

I am not familiar with Alice Bailey - but that shouldn't matter IF you can explain what it is that you believe (?) Just stating so-&-so goes by rules STILL doesn't explain what those rules are. So I still don't know why you'd follow them.
Dig?
I'm a sort of amateur symbologist - making symbols a pretty fun hobby. I can put them to use OR just study their Etymology.

(and you're confusing a few things - like "Laws of attraction" doesn't work with ""rules"" per say. ""Derive intuitively" doesn't require ""rules"" either for example)

Off the cuff I'd dial back on development of consciousness if I were you unless have some data to support what you say that doesn't rely on personal experience. That dog just won't hunt. Not here.
(I'm only try to save your head )

So............ I still don't get the *rules* as nothing you've mentioned really stipulates rules. (aka a path you follow which has doctrine) The fact (which I do not know) that Alice comments on some rules doesn't mean squat. Not really.

You've not given any information other than to say So-&-So made comments on rules. WTF does that accomplish? lol

The second part where you suggest Sheldon might be *off* because he can't have pizza night on Friday.......
maybe read more people and through different threads to get a *feel* for people here. Maybe you shouldn't judge an entire forum, it's style and members from a thread where you're not doing very well.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
21-01-2014, 03:06 PM
(21-01-2014 02:38 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I love this quote generator: It goes on infinitely.

Quote:The physical world imparts reality to ephemeral love
and ephemeral love imparts reality to the physical world

Quote:Information is the ground of boundless external reality
and external reality is the boundless ground of information

Quote:Culture transforms progressive expansion of abstract beauty
and abstract beauty is progressive transformation of culture

Quote:

I do believe you could compile these into a book and form a lovely little woo.
Tongue

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
21-01-2014, 03:32 PM
(21-01-2014 02:21 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I used to dabble in woo woo, the occult and transcendental meditations.

I recall reading Deepak Chopra book 14 years ago and getting high from inspiration - I mean this guy knew quantum mechanics, spirituality, Transcendence, metaphysics, is Indian with cool accent, is a doctor and must be a brilliant councillor and professional. He showed me how we are all vibrating energy and transcendental creators of our immanent reality.

Just look how famously wise this guy is !!! He has an online quote generator. Even Einstein or Richard Feynman doesn't have an online quote generator from their books, sayings, anecdotes, science and poetry....a scholastic mastermind.

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/

Lets have a go....create word salads of woo woo
Rate the quotes for wisdom !!!

Quote:"The unexplainable nurtures unparalleled bliss" _
Quote:"The secret of the universe differentiates into unbridled space time events"
Quote:"Your body influences immortal silence"
Quote:Death transcends a jumble of knowledge
Quote:The mind inspires species specific chaos
Quote:Good health illuminates a symphony of mysteries
Quote:
Quote:The cosmos fascinates quantum timelessness
Quote:Imagination is an ingredient of reckless facts

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!
The last quote is genius ! It sums up Deepak so well !
(I swear this from the random quote generator and I did not make it up ! )

Reminds me of:

[Image: 2010-12-06-robert-thurman-budaverse1.png]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-01-2014, 03:36 PM
(21-01-2014 02:31 PM)Luminon Wrote:  ....we can start posting bullshit and acting like fucking retards.

You already did that. Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
21-01-2014, 07:27 PM
(21-01-2014 02:31 PM)Luminon Wrote:  By the way, something of how all the others behave reminds me of The Big Bang Theory serial, the part when Sheldon Cooper (an autistic person rigidly insisting on rules) had to disregard one rule of his (pizza evening on Friday I think). This threw him completely out of mental balance and he just acted as if there were no social rules in the world whatsoever. (did crazy and silly stuff, etc)
I think there may be more people like this on the board and I just violated one very dear rule of theirs - we don't talk calmly, politely and intelligently to apparently crazy people (me). If we do that, there are no rules and we can start posting bullshit and acting like fucking retards.

Are you starting to miss me? Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2014, 08:02 PM
(21-01-2014 03:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 02:31 PM)Luminon Wrote:  ....we can start posting bullshit and acting like fucking retards.

You already did that. Laughat
I almost snorted my drink through my nose; thanks. Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-01-2014, 08:17 PM
(21-01-2014 08:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 03:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You already did that. Laughat
I almost snorted my drink through my nose; thanks. Big Grin

21-01-2014, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2014 11:13 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-01-2014 03:04 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I'm a sort of amateur symbologist - making symbols a pretty fun hobby. I can put them to use OR just study their Etymology.

I'm sorry, I read that and this is the first thing that immediately popped into my head; and since this is the internet I'm sharing my neuroses with all of you. Enjoy! Tongue

It's Willem Dafoe in The Boondock Saints as FBI investigator Paul Smecker.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-01-2014, 11:50 PM
(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yeah. Good luck with that. Read a physics book.
Is there someone willing to do a cultural exchange - me reading a physics textbook, (s)he reading a woo textbook? I consider curiosity one of great human virtues. Is there anyone virtuous?

If you're stubborn enough to use words with well-defined physical meanings in ways to which those well-defined meanings do not pertain, you are being willfully and unhelpfully obtuse.

"Learn what the words mean so you don't misuse them" is not bad advice.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  It works with most people I know. And those it doesn't work with, I don't know which parts of vocabulary are or aren't in common. And then there's people who don't realize we have a different vocabulary case here and they call me irrational. And then there are people like me, who know two vocabularies, but can't well translate between them.
At least you know how I feel when I talk with free market capitalists. Drinking Beverage

Oh, so we're back to passively slurring others.
(do you do this intentionally? I'm willing to believe you aren't quite aware of it...)

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Wonderful! That's the constructive action I'd like to see from you, only more directly, with less complaints about nonsense and ignorance.

Yes, and it (specifically) relates not to something you said but to an example I made up.

I do the best with what you give me to work with.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Strange. I thought there was only a mild overtone of rudeness.

Dodgy

Shit, only mildly rude. Well, I guess that's okay then...

(that is sarcasm)

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I don't get many of these conversations in real life, so I lack practice.

Okay.

It's generally more productive not to denigrate the character of those speaking to you - and, indeed, huge swathes of society along with them.

That's generally not productive.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  No need, just logic. If mainstream academic literature was competent, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Are... are you serious?

You have given literally no justification at all for what is an absurdly all-encompassing dismissal.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I understand things that I have actually studied. I haven't studied the R&D. USA and Russia did a government funding research. That's as if I mugged people on the street with a gun, took their money and paid some biology students (my neighbors) to do some tests on their university equipment. So it's not really a scientific question, it's a question of bureaucracy, institutions, business and policy.

And that's a hot, steamy pile of donkey plop, delivered fresh from a sickly and suspect-looking ass at that.
(which is to say that's not so much merely not true as offensively wrong)

You may not be aware - hard though I find it to credit such a notion - but science in fact actually works. Which is to say, testable predictions as a result of empirical naturalism works. Or, as one might say - it works no matter who does it. You can't make it work by believing in it. How the fuck do you ignore the track record? Those things are real. You are using one of them right now.

You don't just need to read about specific sciences, you damn well need to learn a real answer to the question what is science?

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I have no freakin' idea how is research organized, any more than I know how a hospital is managed.

Sorry, what was that?

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I have no freakin' idea how is research organized...

Uh.... huh. Yeah, sure, but...

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  No need, just logic. If mainstream academic literature was competent, we wouldn't have this conversation.

I mean, I can't quite see how not knowing how it works is what allows you to judge competence. S'a bit off, y'know?

Also, what was that other thing you were saying?

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I understand things that I have actually studied. I haven't studied the R&D. USA and Russia did a government funding research. That's as if I mugged people on the street with a gun, took their money and paid some biology students (my neighbors) to do some tests on their university equipment. So it's not really a scientific question, it's a question of bureaucracy, institutions, business and policy.

So, that's how research works. According to you.
But you don't know how research works. According to you.

Seems legit.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Maybe next time the biology and chemistry students will have party on the dorm corridor at night, I should buy a bottle of something and join them. Have a few drinks, ask some questions. It's going to be weird as hell, but they're probably going to be kinder than you. Sorry I can't send you a bottle, I think you deserve it for all your patience with me.

Actually, I'm enough of a ponce to enjoy explaining physics to people at parties. But there are always people who ask me. So there's that.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I have no idea whatsoever how these editorial boards work, how they think and what kinds of submissions they get or don't get.

Dodgy

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  If mainstream academic literature was competent, we wouldn't have this conversation.

One of these things is not the other.

(21-01-2014 07:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  And I have no idea how to find that out. In my country there is a "skeptic club" of former Communists who infiltrate government and media boards to promote genetic engineering and nuclear energy and harass the practitioners of preventive medicine.
I think I'll take my chances with drunken students.

Uh, right. Communists.
(so... they're all old people? the bad old days ended over 20 years ago...)

Preventative medicine is a real thing which no one opposes. I assume you meant bullshit "alternative" medicine. Well; doctors have a saying you might want to look into:
"What do you call alternative medicine that works?"
"Medicine"
[explaining-the-joke] It's because things that work don't stay "alternative" [/explaining-the-joke]

Because I'm charitable I'll give a couple sentences re: the other two while I"m at it.

Energy - renewables are woefully far from sufficient and coal has killed literally millions, so if you've got a better stopgap (better than 'no electricity at all') until solar becomes massively deployable, you let me know.

Genetics - right then; who'd want that?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post