What is Spirit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2014, 10:26 AM
RE: What is Spirit?
(19-01-2014 10:19 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 09:48 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I actually tried to follow the Pats once upon a time but seeing as how they seem to be the mafia of football having intimidated or bought-out the refs wherever they play; I really couldn't be a Pats fan.

yanno........... just sayin

Witchypoo,
You from Salem, by any chance?
Doc
Laughat

**Makes me smile when you sign your posts DS...everyone called my dad "Doc".

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 10:31 AM
(19-01-2014 09:36 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 08:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'll give you a hint: I'm in Attleboro. Big Grin

Yay! A fellow Masshole!
Go Pats!

Doc

There are at least four of us here. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2014, 10:37 AM
(19-01-2014 09:48 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 09:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The Pats...boooo, hissss!

[Image: Brady_zps7f4d07ce.jpg]

I actually tried to follow the Pats once upon a time but seeing as how they seem to be the mafia of football having intimidated or bought-out the refs wherever they play; I really couldn't be a Pats fan.

Kinda like religion, having grown up around Worcester. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2014, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 10:50 AM by Luminon.)
(19-01-2014 06:50 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Where in the human body does the spirit reside? How much of the body is required to contain a spirit? Do quadruple amputees have spirits? You could technically pare away the human body to just the head kept alive by a blood pump (even if it's only for a very short time). Does that head have a spirit?

Does it reside in the brain? How about people in persistent vegetative states? Alive, but no spirits?

Does it reside in the heart? How about people with heart transplants? Spirits in the wrong bodies?

And don't get me started on souls.

Doc
Why do you ask, when the answer you want is a scientific article in the Nature magazine?
Your questions are technical and I can easily answer them, but I don't know if you really care about the answers. Are you willing to suffer imperfect or incomplete answers, to acquaint yourself with present state of evidence whatever it is? Are you willing to study the subject out of curiosity and make up your own mind? Or do you just want an assurance that somebody, somewhere has a solid evidence in which you can trust without really knowing it? More so, do you just want to shut up those who are dangerously irrational, that is, going ahead without tangible evidence?

Read The Soul and its Mechanism by Alice A. Bailey. It's a coherent theory that sensibly answers your questions. If you mean your questions seriously, that is.
http://www.light-weaver.com/bk/soul/toc.html
19-01-2014, 10:48 AM
(19-01-2014 10:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 09:48 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I actually tried to follow the Pats once upon a time but seeing as how they seem to be the mafia of football having intimidated or bought-out the refs wherever they play; I really couldn't be a Pats fan.

Kinda like religion, having grown up around Worcester. Big Grin

Therefore - bad and not logical. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
19-01-2014, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 11:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-01-2014 10:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Read The Soul and its Mechanism by Alice A. Bailey. It's a coherent theory that sensibly answers your questions. If you have any real questions, that is.

It's complete and utter bullshit. I've seen enough PET scans, and MRIs to know there ain't no woo there. You have not a shred of evidence, and neither does anyone else.
It's total crap. Present your evidence IN TOTAL, (which you *claim* you can "easily do"), or STFU.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-01-2014, 10:59 AM
(19-01-2014 10:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 06:50 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Where in the human body does the spirit reside? How much of the body is required to contain a spirit? Do quadruple amputees have spirits? You could technically pare away the human body to just the head kept alive by a blood pump (even if it's only for a very short time). Does that head have a spirit?

Does it reside in the brain? How about people in persistent vegetative states? Alive, but no spirits?

Does it reside in the heart? How about people with heart transplants? Spirits in the wrong bodies?

And don't get me started on souls.

Doc
Why do you ask, when the answer you want is a scientific article in the Nature magazine?
Your questions are technical and I can easily answer them, but I don't know if you really care about the answers. Are you willing to suffer imperfect or incomplete answers, to acquaint yourself with present state of evidence whatever it is? Are you willing to study the subject out of curiosity and make up your own mind? Or do you just want an assurance that somebody, somewhere has a solid evidence in which you can trust without really knowing it? More so, do you just want to shut up those who are dangerously irrational, that is, going ahead without tangible evidence?

Read The Soul and its Mechanism by Alice A. Bailey. It's a coherent theory that sensibly answers your questions. If you mean your questions seriously, that is.

I thought this was a thread on the Patriots.

Luminon, help me out. Please quote from the source you provided, answering the questions I posed. When I looked through the link, I saw no answers.

Doc
19-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Did someone say spirits?

[Image: whiskey_22.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-01-2014, 11:21 AM
(19-01-2014 11:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Did someone say spirits?

[Image: whiskey_22.jpg]

'EvolutionKills' - sorry, your REALLY late in this thread - see page 1 Drinking Beverage

We have already had the first most complete authoritative, empirically based and rational definition of Spirit. The discussion didn't last long - except some people argued why I left vodka out. Vodka are unbelievers whilst the Jinns are believers.

(In Islamic theology jinn are said to be creatures with free will, made from smokeless fire by Allah) - obviously !

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
19-01-2014, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 12:15 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(18-01-2014 11:09 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 10:36 AM)Baruch Wrote:  spirit (ˈspɪrɪt)
n
1. (Brewing) (often plural) any distilled alcoholic liquor such as brandy, rum, whisky, or gin

2. (Chemistry) chem
a. an aqueous solution of ethanol, esp one obtained by distillation

b. the active principle or essence of a substance, extracted as a liquid, esp by distillation

3. (Chemistry) pharmacol
a. a solution of a volatile substance, esp a volatile oil, in alcohol

b. (as modifier): a spirit burner.

I forgot all about the useful definition of the word. I'm going to have to make a distillery and go into business selling Rob's Holy Spirits.

The *real* Holy Spirit is the Green Dragon. Heh.

http://boards.cannabis.com/concentrates/...bined.html

[Image: Green_Dragon.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post