What is Twitter for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: What is Twitter for?
I check on twitter occasionally when I'm interested to see if there is some sort of update from a company or person. I do not have an account, however.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
It's a mechanism that allows any person to believe what they say is actually important.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
And Facebook isn't?

Or this forum?

;-)

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
(01-10-2014 12:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  No matter what your business, if you can produce anything that is good enough to get re-tweeted, you profit big time.

Lots of people hang out on twitter so I guess it has something for them. I get bored there personally. But for business, it's great.

The sense of immediacy can be very useful, indeed. It's the quickest and easiest way to communicate with a mass audience.

Absolute dogshit for any substantive communication, of course...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
(30-09-2014 07:44 PM)Sam Wrote:  The bass player in my band has been trying to get me to use Twitter, cos apparently its useful somehow...

All I've got is a page full of ads for Dyson, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and bunch of other shit I already know exists...

Since I signed up, I put one, single, lonesome tweet up, and for the past four or five days my phone has been going mental telling me about all these people I've never heard of who are "following" me as if I've said or done something interesting.

What the fuck?

A pox on it I say...

Thank you Sam! I don't get it either. I do follow a few people like Neil Degrasse, on there, but I rarely sign on.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
01-10-2014, 02:12 PM
(30-09-2014 08:00 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 07:44 PM)Sam Wrote:  The bass player in my band has been trying to get me to use Twitter, cos apparently its useful somehow...

Your first mistake is listening to an idea from the bass player.

Ba dum tish!! Tongue

Go easy on us bass players. We put up with a lot. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
01-10-2014, 02:19 PM
If you discover it's purpose let me know.

#coffee

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
(01-10-2014 02:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 12:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  No matter what your business, if you can produce anything that is good enough to get re-tweeted, you profit big time.

Lots of people hang out on twitter so I guess it has something for them. I get bored there personally. But for business, it's great.

The sense of immediacy can be very useful, indeed. It's the quickest and easiest way to communicate with a mass audience.

It has constraints but I find certain people well worth following.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-10-2014, 02:30 PM
(01-10-2014 02:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 02:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The sense of immediacy can be very useful, indeed. It's the quickest and easiest way to communicate with a mass audience.

It has constraints but I find certain people well worth following.

No, I agree that it has a useful role. I just find it annoying when people try to use it for something else.

... this is my signature!
01-10-2014, 02:41 PM
(01-10-2014 02:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 02:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It has constraints but I find certain people well worth following.

No, I agree that it has a useful role. I just find it annoying when people try to use it for something else.

If you like nerdy pop culture (comic books, wrestling, video games etc) this guy is hilarious.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense