What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2016, 05:33 PM
What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?
This is a follow-up to my previous post about my mother-in-law which kind of sparked this question.
As rational individuals, what do you think about people who claim to have knowledge that is not currently known by scientific fields?
My Mother-In-Law is convinced her knowledge is demonstrable and can be explained scientifically and can be verified by peer review; but she refuses to explain anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2016, 05:38 PM
RE: What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?
What specifically is she claiming?
11-12-2016, 05:39 PM
(11-12-2016 05:33 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  As rational individuals, what do you think about people who claim to have knowledge that is not currently known by scientific fields?

There's not really much to think about. I mean if you can't share your secret knowledge with me then there's no point in us discussing it. Lovely weather we're having though isn't it?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Sorry but I can’t disclose that information.

Big Grin

Some people feel more powerful if they know something you don’t, even if it has to be made up. Look how many conspiracy theories abound. She wants to feel special and imo I don’t think you have a snowball’s chance in hell of dissuading her that she isn’t one of the cool kids in the “in” crowd.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
11-12-2016, 05:46 PM
@MattFinney

She has, apparently, joined a secret society where they have access to knowledge that none but the initiated can know. She hasn't explained anything beyond that she believes she has conjured things.
11-12-2016, 05:47 PM
@GirlyMan

It's freezing here! XD
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
11-12-2016, 05:49 PM
I think it's bullshit.

Hopefully in your mom's case, it's harmless bullshit.
11-12-2016, 05:54 PM
(11-12-2016 05:33 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  As rational individuals, what do you think about people who claim to have knowledge that is not currently known by scientific fields?

There are a very few rare examples where this has turned out to be accurate. Archimedes, Einstein and similar historical examples. They are the exceptions to PT Barnum's rule. It's much more common for such individuals to turn out to be dishonest, delusional or just plain wrong.

Quote:My Mother-In-Law is convinced her knowledge is demonstrable and can be explained scientifically and can be verified by peer review; but she refuses to explain anything.

Then her claim is utterly baseless. Any fool can claim that their mumbo-jumbo is backed by peer-reviewed evidence, but evidence is that which is seen. If she isn't going to show you anything then what she has isn't evidence, it's an unsubstantiated opinion. At best.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-12-2016, 05:58 PM
(11-12-2016 05:46 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  @MattFinney

She has, apparently, joined a secret society where they have access to knowledge that none but the initiated can know. She hasn't explained anything beyond that she believes she has conjured things.

Oh. She's joined a cult! The only thing she's likely to conjur is her own wits clean out of her skull.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-12-2016, 05:59 PM
If it's such a secret, why did she even mention it?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post