What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2016, 06:43 PM
RE: What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?
It's secret because any time in the past it has been exposed to review, it was absolutely debunked. So now it is held to be this fabulous and powerful secret by those folks who want to believe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
11-12-2016, 06:58 PM
There are, in fact, secret societies that hold secret knowledge. Though in these societies unless you're rich or an influential politician then you're just a useful idiot.
12-12-2016, 08:27 AM
(11-12-2016 05:33 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  This is a follow-up to my previous post about my mother-in-law which kind of sparked this question.
As rational individuals, what do you think about people who claim to have knowledge that is not currently known by scientific fields?
My Mother-In-Law is convinced her knowledge is demonstrable and can be explained scientifically and can be verified by peer review; but she refuses to explain anything.

Sounds like clickbait:

[Image: blog3.png]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-12-2016, 10:03 AM
(11-12-2016 05:33 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  This is a follow-up to my previous post about my mother-in-law which kind of sparked this question.
As rational individuals, what do you think about people who claim to have knowledge that is not currently known by scientific fields?
My Mother-In-Law is convinced her knowledge is demonstrable and can be explained scientifically and can be verified by peer review; but she refuses to explain anything.

Unfortunately, your MIL is either intentionally playing mind-games with you, or she's suffering from a psychosis known as a "delusional disorder". She could also be suffering specifically from delusions of grandeur (grandiose) in which people claim secret knowledge or power, unrecognised insight or expertise, omnipotence, or special talent.

My advice would be to ignore here ramblings, and/or don't initiate the topic again with her. If she continues to raise it, just nod and smile benignly.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-12-2016, 11:36 AM
My opinion is a secret opinion.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-12-2016, 11:40 AM
The only way two people can keep a secret - is for one to kill the other......

So, so much for secrets......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-12-2016, 10:01 PM
(11-12-2016 05:33 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  As rational individuals, what do you think about people who claim to have knowledge that is not currently known by scientific fields?

It's always possible for someone to stumble upon a new tidbit of knowledge. It's considerably less possible for an isolated group to have a whole cache of knowledge that no one else can access or independently discover.

What I usually find is that the so-called knowledge of secretive groups is invariably unverifiable, unfalsifiable, and/or of no actual use in the real world. Take a long, hard look at the life your mother-in-law leads. Does it appear that she is getting any tangible advantages from this closely-guarded wisdom, or is it essentially just bragging rights? Does she behave as if the knowledge is of any earthly use to her? I suspect not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
17-12-2016, 11:24 PM
She is looking for attention to make her feel special. She's full of shit.
18-12-2016, 02:13 AM
One thing I would be wary of is that these cults aren't necessarily harmless. She may very well inexplicably decide to pack her bags and disappear off to some secret location, or to pay all the contents of her bank account into the cult leader's pocket, or something similarly not good.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-12-2016, 02:43 AM

I'd just tell her to be aware of bull sharks.

Dangerous bastards. Sadcryface

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.