What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 06:59 AM
RE: What is Your Opinion on "Secret Knowledge"?
Knowledge is demonstrable. If it's not demonstrable, then it's not knowledge; it's just belief. I have no use for other people's beliefs, and hiding them behind a layer of obfuscation ('it's a secret') doesn't change that. Put up or shut up. Secret knowledge simply isn't knowledge, and thus can take a long walk off a short pier.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-12-2016, 10:12 AM
(17-12-2016 10:01 PM)Astreja Wrote:  What I usually find is that the so-called knowledge of secretive groups is invariably unverifiable, unfalsifiable, and/or of no actual use in the real world. Take a long, hard look at the life your mother-in-law leads. Does it appear that she is getting any tangible advantages from this closely-guarded wisdom, or is it essentially just bragging rights? Does she behave as if the knowledge is of any earthly use to her? I suspect not.

That's a great point. Even if your MIL is unable to divulge her "secret knowledge" it should be obvious that she has a happier, healthier, more prosperous life than average unless, of course, it's all just bullshit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-12-2016, 12:14 PM
It is the point of view that their "truths" are only for their elite adepts. That their teachings conceal their real truths with false explanations and symbolism telling the initiates those teachings are the secrets. Only the adepts understand the real meanings. Anyone claiming to know the secrets does not. Because they who really know will not say they do to the non-initiates.